It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 03:42 AM   #1
(male)

UK_dave HB User
Yoghurt vs dairy

What was the verdict on the yoghurt vs dairy debate? Does yoghurt contain dairy??
sorry if that sounds dumb, but im really not sure.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Yoghurt vs dairy

This debate is new to me. Yogurt definitely is dairy. I guess it depends on the context. I have heard of some people who have lactose intolerance who can tolerate yogurt. Some who argue it is better to avoid dairy, in general, say yogurt is okay because of the cultures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Yes, yogurt's dairy. It's made from milk. I think yogurt is an amazing food full of active cultures that are great for your intestinal tract and healthy digestion...
The reason some ppl with lactose intolerance can tolerate yogurt is because the cultures semi-digest the dairy/lactose.
My take - EAT YOGURT.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Yeah yogurt is a dairy product, I never heard of it being anything else.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Yoghurt is dairy but is much better than milk. Its full of protein, calcium and live bacteria (the good kind that help the intestine!)

Old 03-24-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
(female)

runnergirl HB User

Hey there. Yes, yogurt is dairy. We all need a VARIETY of foods. Milk, yogurt, and cheese all contain a lot of protein and calcium. They are all healthful foods in appropriate portions in the context of a balanced diet. Yogurt does contain live bacteria (cultures) but every brand has a different amount in it (it just so happens I did a study on this in college for my biology class). My advice: do not rank one dairy food as "better" than another. No food is good, better, best or bad. There is no such thing as "good or bad" foods - just good or bad portions!!! Eat yogurt, cheese, and drink milk. Enjoy!

Last edited by runnergirl; 03-24-2005 at 03:34 PM.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
(male)

UK_dave HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
Yoghurt is dairy but is much better than milk. Its full of protein, calcium and live bacteria (the good kind that help the intestine!)
Do you think its alright then to eat a bit of yoghurt in 'our' diet?

Old 03-24-2005, 02:45 PM   #8
(male)

UK_dave HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl
Hey there. I am a Registered Dietitian. Yes, yogurt is milk. But to suggest that yogurt is "much better than milk" as veggie girl states is just not true. We all need a VARIETY of foods. Milk, yogurt, and cheese all contain a lot of protein and calcium. They are all healthful foods in appropriate portions in the context of a balanced diet. Yogurt does contain live bacteria (cultures) but every brand has a different amount in it (it just so happens I did a study on this in college for my biology class). My advice: do not rank one dairy food as "better" than another. No food is good, better, best or bad. There is no such thing as "good or bad" foods - just good or bad portions!!! Eat yogurt, cheese, and drink milk. Enjoy!
Just curious, whats 'the dietitians' take on dairy products and acne? or, food and acne in general for that matter? Because, its always quite a controversial debate on the acne board.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #9
(female)

runnergirl HB User

Yes, I say enjoy your yogurt. Low fat would be better for your cardiac health though. In terms of the acne-food connection, you are correct. It is controversial and the jury is still "out" on this issue. Acne has also been linked to stress, genetics, age, and of course, environmental conditions/climate. Personally, in my practice, I do notice that those who follow a healthy, well-balanced diet tend to have better skin. Especially if they make the effort to drink lots of water and also stay out of the sun and harsh climates. But to link certain foods to acne itself? I haven't heard any convincing scientific evidence that this occurs. It tends to be more care-by-case and testimonial that people may feel a certain food "triggers" their acne.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:34 PM   #10
(female)

Vera_Floyd HB User

Yup, yogourt is from a cow. (except soy yogourt)..I'm severely lactose intolerant and everyone stares at me scratching their head when they see me eating it. As others have said, it's the bacteria in it that breaks down the lactose. mmm...yogourt

Old 03-28-2005, 03:55 AM   #11
(female)

pheobe13 HB User

I heard that the calcium in milk is pretty much useless in human beings. Milk is designed for baby cows. No other species drinks milk after it has been weaned. Since I thought about it, I only drink Soya milk now. Am I the only one who finds drinking milk out of another mammals breast a bit odd?!! Humans are crazy. We get more unnatural every day. Just my oppinion.

Old 03-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

No, pheobe, you are certainly not the only one who finds drinking other animal's milk a bit odd, there are a number of people who have posted that opinion. The assertion that we are the only species that does it has never been very meaningful for me. We are the only species that does many things and eats many things. We are the only ones that cook and clothe ourselves, and on and on, and use computers. So I don't understand why drinking milk is highlighted by some.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

I have issues with milk. Both of my children cannot digest it. The hormones in food freak me out to no end, and that goes for milk and meat. The calcium available in milk is not readily absorbed by the human body. For alot of us, milk thickens mucos, which can be pretty awful. My youngest gets ear infections if she has too much dairy. I find milk to be very congesting, digestive-wise and sinus-wise. My older daughter is racked with violent stomach cramps if she consumes too much dairy. They do like veggies, and the calcium they get from their veggies is much more easily digested and absorbed. I had to battle my oldest's school on the milk issue-they had a rule that the kids had to drink ALL their milk at lunch, and I sent a not explaining her allergies. I said, if she wants it, fine, but I would not ever FORCE her to have something that when consumed in excess makes her sick. They told me it was government regulations (for the daycare part of the school) about the milk issue. I said fine, here is a doc's note explaining how when she was little, she experienced projectile vomiting and severe cramps from milk--so kindly do not MAKE her drink it!!!

We are just a part of the large group of people who cannot tolerate milk products very well. More power to you if you can, I guess. I would NOT rely on it as a primary source of calcium.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
(female)

Vera_Floyd HB User

hillaryb, ensure your kids are getting enough calcium in their diet..until they're in their 20s their bones will be growing and needing it. check that any alternatives (soy milk or whatever) are enriched with calcium. i obviously don't know the whole story and don't want to tell you how to raise your family..but it's just a concern that comes along with being lactose intolerant..(i know you can buy "juice boxes" of milk alternatives, maybe they'll accept that at their school)

Old 03-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Like I mentioned in my other post, my kids love calcium-rich veggies. My youngest drinks a little bit of soy milk. There are far better sources of calcium out there than dairy. If anything, being that we get our calcium from sources other than dairy, that are more readily absorbable, my kids probably get more useful levels of the mineral than most of their peers. There is a definate shift going on in the medical, and health community as far as opinions on milk. Old-school beliefs that it is our only good source of certain vitamins and minerals are being disproved by new info relating digestability to the absorption of such nutrients. And then there are also those of us who shake our head and say :" But I am NOT a baby cow!" lol

Closed Thread