It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

Denisse HB User
Question Yogurt (confused about ingredients)

I was at my local health food shop and was checking out some fat-free plain yogurt. (I'm trying to cut waaaaayyy back on sugar, so I'm looking for a sugar-free yogurt.) When I read the ingredient label, it basically said milk and live cultures. When I read the nutrition label, however, it included a sugar count. So now I'm stumped. It isn't made with sugar, but the end result has sugar??? Can anyone clear this up for me, please?

Old 03-28-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: Yogurt (confused about ingredients)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisse
I was at my local health food shop and was checking out some fat-free plain yogurt. (I'm trying to cut waaaaayyy back on sugar, so I'm looking for a sugar-free yogurt.) When I read the ingredient label, it basically said milk and live cultures. When I read the nutrition label, however, it included a sugar count. So now I'm stumped. It isn't made with sugar, but the end result has sugar??? Can anyone clear this up for me, please?
Denisse,

Milk has a form of sugar called lactose. When the nutrition label counts the carbohydrates, it lists the total carbs, including complex carbs, as well as separating out the simple sugars, such as lactose. This is so that diabetics and others who want to avoid simple sugars can tell how much they're getting. If your yogurt label lists no extra sugars in the ingredients list, then you are just getting the sugar that is naturally in milk.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread