It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

Meacoolgirly HB User
Tuna... Protein...

Im starving and their isnt really anything healthy at my work besides tuna... which isnt a bad thing, i love tuna.. but my questions is....Im looking at the nutritional value on the can and its one of the big cans (12 oz.) and it says it has 13g protein per serving, which there are 5 in the whole can.. now thats 65g of protein that I could quite possibly eat in one sitting.. is that to much... what happens when you eat to much protein... i am going to the gym today by the way..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2005, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Tuna... Protein...

It's not TOO TOO much, but it's a lot. The body disposes of extra protein much like extra carbs and fats; it burns what it needs and turns the rest to fat.
Protein has three distinctions, though:
1. a portion is excreted as nitrogenous wastes by the kidneys
2. it can be converted to glucose (unlike fat)
3. AND it is the only food component that can be turned to lean flesh and blood.

How about a small can worth...or half that big can. Saran it and the rest will be good tomorrow.

I think a 65 gram protein snack in one sitting is an unwise choice primarily because of that kidney aspect! That much also sounds vaguely nauseating, truth be told.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-01-2005 at 07:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I read that the body can only process 25 grams of protein at a time. What the other 45g would do I don't know.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
(male)

The Len HB User

I heard it was 30. Regardless if its' 25 or 30, the rest of it gets turned to fat or used up if you workout. Anytime anyone eats a lot of protein, the kidneys work extra hard. Give em a break by drinking a lot of water with whatever protein source you are intaking to flush out the system of wastes.

Also, to the girl that eats the tuna at work: See if you can bring a small tupperwear container. When you open the tuna, Eat only half of it and take the half of it and put it in the tupperwear and stick it in the refrigerator at work for later. If they don't have a fridge, bring a cooler with ice in it, and stick it in there. This will lessen the strain on your kidneys and you'll have food later to eat Bring an apple with you to work and eat the tuna with the apple. Mmmmm

Last edited by The Len; 04-01-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Closed Thread