It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User
Question question about dairy

i think i am addicted to dairy. i constantly crave it, and manage to limit it to low-fat choices such as low-fat yorgurt, skim milk etc... however, i know i am eating too much of it and i was just wondering if anyone knew if craving dairy was a sign of some sort of defliciency? i know its kind of a 'comfort' food, but are there any essential nutrients specific to this food group that i might be missing thats causing this sudden surge? in the past, i remember liking diary, but never to this degree.
thanks, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
also, if it turns out it is not a sign of a deficiency and i am just eating too much due to horrible self-control, can anyone suggest alternatives that might be lower in calories, etc..?

Old 04-03-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: question about dairy

I love dairy too. I could eat cheese constantly. I could drink milk all day. I limit myself to only 3 servings a day though. It can cause stones in the urinary tract that are very painful to pass if you consume too much calcium. Too much dairy also makes my face break out so I limit it because of that also. Eat more fruits and veggies instead. I just saw a cooking show that made something that looked really good. You take strawberries slice them up take a peach and dice it up and fresh blueberries. Put cottage cheese on it and honey. That way you still get some dairy but not as much and you get lots of low fat nutrients from the fruit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

In my case, it seemed to be the obvious one - calcium. Once I started eating calcium-rich vegetables (kale, collards, broccoli, okra), I was much less interested in dairy.

IMHO, eating low-fat dairy only makes matters worse, because fat is needed to assimilate the calcium.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

juicy,

If you can mange without gaining weight, the low fat and non-fat variations of dairy food are an excellent complete protein source. Enjoy it.
Many people downplay dairy becuase of an intolerance to lactose that is common. If you have no such intolerance, then there's no need to cut back on it.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User

i am trying to lose a bit of weight, so i guess i am examining the things that might be holding me back nutritionally.
i have since started substituting the yogurt for fruit with a few tablespoons of low-fat plain yorgurt or quark cheese (which is amazing and very filling in small amounts) i am not sure if this is better nutritionally... i usually try and keep it to low GI fruits such as blueberries, strawberries, and grapes (i have read that grapes are low GI but other sources say no, not 100% sure). usually if i have a cup or two of fruit with the yorgurt i feel satisfied, whereas if it was just yorgurt, i would be able to eat a couple of cups of it alone at one time! if any one has any opinion on whether this is a better solution feel free to share.... i know the yorgurt has protein going for it, but there is important stuff in the fruit too..
ps. thanks for all the response, its nice to know i am not alone in my dairy-love!

Closed Thread