It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Carbs...

I have a question about carbs: Is it ok to have carbs at every meal or should I coordinate one or two meals that are carb-free during the day? If I have a sandwich for lunch I usually try to eat chicken and salad or something for dinner, but is that always necessary? It's happened a few times where I have eaten a sandwich for lunch and then want sushi or chinese food for dinner (rice), but am hesitant because of the carbs. As long as I'm in an ok calorie range, should I stop worrying about the carbs?

Old 04-04-2005, 06:05 AM   #2
(female)

tdot HB User
Re: Carbs...

Don't worry about limiting your carbs, just make sure you eat the right ones. Use the glycemic index to help you choose lower G.I foods more often and higher G.I foods less often.

Your body, especially your muscles and brain require carbohydrates as fuel. We need to make sure we don't eat too many refined carbs, but other than that, enjoy lots of wholegrain cereals, breads, pastas, just don't go overboard (which I'm pretty sure you won't LS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Thanks for the advice! That makes me feel a lot better about carbs. I tend to eat brown rice, whole wheat bread, fruits, vegetables, and soy pretzels - not the "bad" refined carbs...but I'm still hesitant to have rice with dinner if I had a big sandwich for lunch - even if it IS whole wheat bread and brown rice. But there are definitely worse things than having those two things in the same day!! Haha.

So if I eat a 600 calorie dinner, if it is chicken salad and vegetables, or teriyaki chicken with brown rice, it doesn't really matter - just eat what I crave and watch calories/fat???

Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I agree to eat the right carbs. But I also refrain from eating them at night. If I want or need them, I will eat them for breakfast and lunch, and try and limit them at dinner.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Howcome people do this? Isn't a carb a carb, no matter when you eat it?

Old 04-04-2005, 12:05 PM   #6
(female)

tdot HB User

LS,

I'm glad this concept makes sense to you. I think the glycemic index is a wonderful way of choosing foods containing carbohydrate.

As for your question of focusing on calories/fat, it is important to recognize both, but I would try not to spend too much time counting either. Eat healthy, lots of fruit/veg, low/medium G.I carbs, lean meat and milk products, limit "Other foods" and you'll be fine. From your other posts, I can tell you eat very well.

As for when you eat them, it really depends on the person. I have Addison's disease and find I must eat low/medium G.I foods all the time, especially at lunch as I find if I eat high G.I at lunch I get hypoglycemic in the afternoon. I do always have some carbs at night, as it doesn't bother me, but for others it may not be the same. If you feel ok eating them at night, go for it!

Old 04-04-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
Howcome people do this? Isn't a carb a carb, no matter when you eat it?
carbs at night can make you put on massive weight..maybe in you case your fine with carbs at night.

Old 04-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

That is so not true Losec20. That has no basis whatsoever! Ive eaten the mst refined carbs anyone can think of late at night and nothing happens. When it comes down to it, gaining weight is SOLELY a function of eating more calories than you burn. People say eating at night is bad ONLY because a) people tend to zone out and eat a bag of chips- purposely not eating anything altogether helps to prevent this and b) regarding your statement- the foods people tend to snack on at night are less nutritious (ie chips, chocolate, cookies, etc) than they might usually be eating during the day. Under no circumstances do eating carbs- and i mean ANY carbs- late at night (or any time for that matter) make you put on weight because they are carbs. It's the calories that count.

LS- people say there are "bad" carbs and "good" carbs because of the nutritional value they have. For example- a donut and 2 slices of whole grain bread could have roughly the same number of carbs, but from which one will you get more nutrients, fibre, minerals and vitamins? The whole grains, of course. As well, eating the "good" carbs will help you to stay fuller longer, because simple carbs like those in sugar tend to spike your insulin levels (giving you a quick energy boost) and then send them crashing low again (leaving you feeling crummy and wanting to reach for more sugar), whereas the fibre rich stuff takes longer to digest and will satisfy you for longer. But you are completely right- calories ARE what counts, when it comes down to it. Eating a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner in the same day (it is entirely healthy in moderation!!) is absolutely FINE if you watch your intake of both. But again, you are really way to obsessed with food and calories when you shouldnt be- you are gaining weight to be healthy remember? Try to live life and enjoy it and dont sweat the small stuff (ie EVERY CALORIE!)

Old 04-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I gotta agree with Losec and Susieq0726. WHEN you eat carbs does makes a difference on weight gain.

When I'm trying to lose a little weight and get into shape I try not to eat after 6 or 7pm as it kind of 'sits' in my stomach and I find it hard to get my abs nice and flat. And when I don't eat late I seem to get leaner.

Although, if you're younger than 30 years old then it makes no difference - although when you're under 30 you can pretty much eat everything and anything and have a great body!! I used to eat whole pizzas, drink lots of beer and chinese food - all late at night - and still have a body like Britney and JLo!!

Old 04-05-2005, 04:37 PM   #10
Veteran

rach12 HB User

I belive the jury is still out on when and when not to eat your good carbs. I have read on both sides and belive it is on the person. I think if you are active a little portion of brown rice with your dinner is not going to hurt you. I do my cardio in the morning and have found my workouts are harder to complete if I did not have a carb with dinner. If I have a little portion of Brown rice then I run with more energy in the morning.
I have read though if you are trying to loose weight do not eat carbs past 3 in the afternoon and I have been taught it is calories burned and calories in that makes a diffrence not when you eat them but how much and how active you are. Just find out what works for you. that is my advice. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I completely agree, rach. Depending on what I eat for dinner, if I workout in the morning, I will either burnout after 5 minutes, or feel like 30 minutes is a piece of cake. Especially if I ATE a piece of cake. LOL. I guess I am going to try and go by what I FEEL like and not so much by what I think I SHOULD feel like.
And about pasta, which is the best kind to eat if you are going to eat it? Whole wheat pasta? Gluten free pasta? Egg pasta? So confusing!!

Old 04-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #12
Veteran

rach12 HB User

I go with the wheat. When you read the back of wheat vs white it looks almost the same BUT wheat has the health nutrients your body needs where they have all been stripped out of the white. I have never tried the Gluten free type so I do not know on that.
I know I LOVE the whole wheat tortillas. They are great for wraps for lunch and they pack 8 GRAMS of fiber per tortilla. Women do not get near the 35 we are supposed to have a day.
Watch out on wheat bread though. Alot of brands CLAIM to be whole wheat but only have 1 gram of fiber. Look for bread that had at least 2 grams.

Closed Thread