It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Alcohol calories: same or different?

Are alcohol calories the same as regular calories or are they different? Obvoiously a calorie is a calorie, but do they affect you differently at all? If I factor in my alcohol calories to my diet, will I be able to maintain my weight without a problem?

I have read several different studies on this and some of them even suggest that alcohol consumption often reduces weight in women! Cheers to that!!

Old 04-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: Alcohol calories: same or different?

LS you need to r e l a x. As you said in a previous post, you drank over the weekend and did not gain weight (even though, technically you should be still gaining!). Why worry about it? You will drive yourself insane if, with every single thing you try to overcome, you second guess yourself and post another question on the board. It is clear that you have some anxiety about food, and I would even go as far as to say you have disorded eating and feelings about food/body image, and so it is understandable that you get ansious easily. But you need to pull through and fight these worries becauce they will control YOU in no time! Your weekend proved to you that your worries were unfounded- why try to create something mroe of it? Just try to enjoy yourself and your life while you are still young, and dont let yourself get into a deeper hole of obsessions!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
Veteran

rach12 HB User

This is the deal with alcohol. Your body uses what you put in it for fuel. When you comsume alcohol your body burns that before it uses other sources for energy. When you get into trouble is when you drink too much all the time(of course) but also when you have pizza and beer for example. That pizza is going to sit there while your body uses the alcohol for energy. Your body will continue to burn the alcohol for energy until it is all gone then it will go to other sources. So basically if you just sit and do nothing the pizza most likely go stored as fat ( to be used for hard times) while the alcohol gets used for basic body function energy.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

That makes complete sense. Thank you!!!
And girlygirl - I'm trying not to obsess as much as I used to, but it's still very difficult. For some reason it seems impossible to me that I could have had an extremely fun weekend, drank, ate, and not have gained weight. My first instinct is to punish myself in some way - namely, by restricting. ::sigh:: If only this were easier....Sorry for all of my questions all the time............

Old 04-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

LS,

I have never heard that alcohol reduces body weight. Quite the opposite, in fact...but maybe I'm not as up on current research on the effects of alcohol. While I understand that you might want to lose some weight, please remember that alcohol is bad for your liver, especially if you consume a lot of alcohol. It's very taxing to your liver to have to process large quantities of this stuff and, in this way, can lead to liver damage. Consider not drinking too much alcohol. If you are interested in reducing your weight slightly, please consider much healthier alternatives such as a daily exercise routine, as well as eating more nutritious meals that contain fewer calories. Have you considered talking with a nutritionist?

~Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 04-06-2005 at 09:55 PM.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I'm not implying that I will be drinking alcohol to lose weight! I just wanted to make sure that my occasional drinking wasn't as terrible as it seems to be. I exercise almost everyday and eat very healthily - and my liver is fine! I am not an alcoholic- just the occasional drinker...

Old 04-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach12
This is the deal with alcohol. Your body uses what you put in it for fuel. When you comsume alcohol your body burns that before it uses other sources for energy.
Actually this is not quite true. Your body uses carbohydrates converted to glucose for fuel. So only the things that you consume that convert to glucose will actually be burned. In the absence of glucose, your body turns to fat and or muscle mass for fuel. Those things that you consume that are not carbohydrate, protein, or fat, are perceived by the liver as toxic waste and excreted - including all alcohols that do not contain carbohydrates. Alcohols that do contain carbs (beer, wine, whisky) are not efficient sources of fuel - for example, "carb" calories from beer or wine will not provide your body the same amount or quality of fuel as equal amounts of whole grains, beans, or vegetables, and the "alcohol" calories from beer or wine are still perceived by your body as toxic and must be excreted.

There are 7 calories in 1 gram of alcohol, 4 per carb gram, 4 per protein gram, and 9 per fat gram. Alcohol is by far "more fattening" than carbs or protein, not quite as "fattening" as fat, but close. Not to mention the burden alcohol places on your liver and kidneys, which completely hinders your metabolic function, effecting how efficiently your body can metabolize the other foods you consume.

A healthy person can drink occassionally and not experience any long-term negative effects, but people with weight problems or any digestive, glandular, or auto-immune diseases would be much better off without any alcohol consumption at all.

Closed Thread