It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

luv2shop HB User
Is too much Salmon bad for you?

My diet consists of 5-6 small meals a day of equal carbs and proteins w/some veggies. However, I don't eat chicken or beef, only fish and some seafood. I have been eating a lot of Salmon almost every day sometimes 2 x a day. Everyone once and a while I will have tuna, but the iodine level in Tuna can be bad for women if to much is consumed - espeically if your trying to have children in the future - so I've heard. Anyhow, I know that the natrual fatty acids from Salmon are good for you, but can you have too much of it? What are the effects of consuming to much natural fatty acids? Thanks

Old 04-05-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User
Re: Is too much Salmon bad for you?

I don't think that you can eat too much salmon. Contained in its Omege-3s is DHA which is very good for your body. In Japan, many foods are enriched with DHA, and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding are encouraged consume extra DHA.

Don't worry about consuming too much Omega-3. You should be consuming 2-3 times the amount of Omega-3s as Omega-6s anyway (most of us do the opposite). If it is balanced the other way (more omega-6 than omega-3) there can be unwanted effects on metabolism and free radical production.

If your salmon is farmed, you have no worries about mercury toxicity. Even wild salmon is a low level mercury containing fish. As long as you are consuming antioxidants you shouldn't have to worry about mercury, and the benefits of consuming salmon (and other types of fatty fish) far outweigh any negatives.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 03:15 PM   #3
(female)

thelovelyamber HB User

do remember, though, that almost all "wild" fish will contain some murcury. and i've heard that's really bad if you are pregnant or trying to be. the bigger the fish the more murcury, because the fish bodies don't do anything with the chemical. when one fish eats some, then a bigger fish eats that smaller poisoned fish, the bigger fish ends up collecting the murcury the smaller fish was exposed to, in addition to any other murcury the bigger was exposed to in the past, and any other smaller fish it ate who were also exposed...

i just limit to once a week, or i get headaches anyway. too bad cause i LOVE sushi!

Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Veteran

baddoey HB User

it also depends on if you are eating farmed or wild. . Dr Weils states only to eat farmed once a month - so what that means to me is "stay away from it!" - full of toxins. . wild is very good for you and worth the extra few dollars.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-07-2005 at 04:48 PM.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:26 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User

Salmon is actually one of the best fish to eat as they do not retain the mercury levels as much as the other fish do such as shell fish. Make sure to only eat Wild salmon however as there's health risks in eating farm raised salmon. If you do not know the source or the person (if ordering from a restaurant does not know the source) then don't order it.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Salmon every day or even twice a day is perfectly fine. If you are eating farmed salmon, don;t worry a bit since they are fed something close to "Purina Salmon Chow" and thus have no mercury to speak of.
Usally the U.S. diet is DEFICIENT in iodine, so there's no need to worry about excess. A better idea for heavy fish eaters is to toss away the carton of IODIZED SALT (or ALL salt, come to think of it.)

I agree with mellowfish, it would be very difficult to eat too much fresh farmed salmon.

Now, If you're eating it out of a can, that might be another story.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-08-2005 at 04:58 AM.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
(female)

luv2shop HB User

Okay then, how can you tell the difference of farmed and wild? And I do occasionally, have canned and why is that bad for you?

Old 04-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User

You would have to ask someone if the salmon you're about to buy/eat is wild or not. I do know that MOST wild salmon has a pinker healthy flesh color and farm raised is more white due to the lack of nutrients and overall health of the salmon, but you cannot always judge by that as farmer of salon are knwon to actually ADD pink dye to the salmon to give it that "healthy" look, gross!
If you have fresh salmon available then always eat fresh as w/ any food as canned will always have preservatives obviously to retain a longer shelf life so that's probably the only reason. The though of canned salmon is kinda a gross thought and I'm sure nowhere near as healthy as canned food in general isn't. Canned salmon opposed to canned tuna however is at least in it's own salmon juices whereas w/ tuna those juices are added during the canning process and therefore would not be there otherwise.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggigoddess
You would have to ask someone if the salmon you're about to buy/eat is wild or not. I do know that MOST wild salmon has a pinker healthy flesh color and farm raised is more white due to the lack of nutrients and overall health of the salmon, but you cannot always judge by that as farmer of salon are knwon to actually ADD pink dye to the salmon to give it that "healthy" look, gross!
If you have fresh salmon available then always eat fresh as w/ any food as canned will always have preservatives obviously to retain a longer shelf life so that's probably the only reason. The though of canned salmon is kinda a gross thought and I'm sure nowhere near as healthy as canned food in general isn't. Canned salmon opposed to canned tuna however is at least in it's own salmon juices whereas w/ tuna those juices are added during the canning process and therefore would not be there otherwise.
1. The flesh of wild salmon is usually more red (noteably Sockeye) from a diet rich in krill and other organisms that contribute to the "red" color

2. Silver (Coho) and King (Chinook) species of wild salmon have coloring that ranges into a silver or off-white. This coloration is not due to a lack of nutrients or overall health, but is constituted by diet.

3. Canned salmon does not contain preservatives, and is a healthful alternative to fresh (although Smoked Salmon often has some nitrates added to it).

4. The color that is "added" to farmed salmon is given to the fish through their diet.

And just for the record, if it says "Atlantic" salmon it is almost surely farmed, as humans have nearly wiped out the population with overfishing and pollution.

The only thing I would worry about when consuming farmed salmon is antibiotics and horomones added to the feed, or if the fish are genetically altered (yes, there is a such thing as a genetically altered salmon, which is the reason why we all need to push our congress people to get DETAILED LABELING on all USDA inspected products ). There have been studies done which have found a higher level of contaminates in farmed salmon (due to the feed), the greatest proportion of which is concentrated in the fat just beneath the skin (just don't eat that part!)

Last edited by mellowfish; 04-08-2005 at 02:42 PM.

Old 04-09-2005, 03:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Unfortunately, the healthiest part of the salmon are the omega-3 oils which are ALSO in the fattyy layer just under the skin. I crisp and spice the skin and it is always the most delicious part so my plate is empty if I've eaten a filet and has only the bones after I finished a steak.

Canned salmon is overprocessed, oversalted, and overcooked so that it lasts for 20 years in a can! Canned salmon compared to real is like a hot dog compared to a pork loin.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-09-2005 at 03:32 AM.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #11
(female)

luv2shop HB User

Thanks for everyones replies, I have learned many things I never knew before. What I realize now is that eating healthy is more complicated now then years ago when foods were not overprossesed, hormone induced, etc., because of Manufacturers manipulating their products to appear healthy to mass produce and save $ to make the big bucks! There should be laws against this - Okay, sorry had to vent a little. Thanks again!

Closed Thread