It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
(male)

Nixona HB User
Trans Fats

It's been a few years since my last Organic Chem class, can someone give me a refresher on what your body does (or doesn't do) with these?

I know Trans Fats are presents in a HUGE amount of processed foods, and due to a loophole, a label may even say it has 0g of trans fats when in fact it may have up to 0.5g. I also know that anything in the ingredients label that begins with "Partially Hydrogenated.." indicates Trans Fats. Beyond that, I don't remember...

Old 04-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Re: Trans Fats

All I know is that trans fats are "partially hydrogenated," which, going by the literal phrase, means that a hydrogen is added to the "normal" fat, making it unstable. This unnatural/unstable fat provides processed foods with a longer shelf life (this is why snack food makers LOVE it) but also provides you with gross artery blockers. It's kind of like altering a natural occuring fat to make it unnatural and therefore unhealthy. Steer clear!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran

rach12 HB User

What is crazy is alot of Breakfast cerals have it too. I am not much of a cereal person but I read that alot of cereal have it and I looked. PARTIALLY hydrogenated was in the ingredients.
The FDA is working on making companies put it on the lable which is great.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
(male)

Nixona HB User

Oh I know, they are everywhere! Look at ingredient lists for anything made by the Kraft/Nabisco conglomerate. I think the new labeling goes into effect Jan 1 2006, but if the amount is under 0.5g per serving they still do not have to list it. Am I wrong on that?

Anyway, the point of the post was to get a refresher? I studied these several years ago, just before it became this big national issue. At that time, they were saying trans fats possible had an increased cancer risk, and that the human body actually can't process trans fats? If it doesn't process it, do we pass them or store them. If we store them, can they be burned? I ate a LOT of oreos in my childhood, and it's a little scary to think about.

I was looking for more info on that kind of thing.

Closed Thread