It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Coconut: Cheap, delicious and nutritious

For only 75 cents, you can do a lot with a coconut.

Water: Drink the water on its own. Its refreshing and delcious

Make coconut milk: Just blend together 1 1/2 cup coconut meat and 1 1/2 cup water, Strain through fine metal seive

Smoothie: Blend coconut milk with about 8 dates and serve over ice. You can also add banana or pinapple and blend.

Make coconut rice: You can use the remainder of the coconut 'milk' to make coconut rice using 1 cup rice, 1/2 cup coco milk and 1/2 cup of broth. Add a finely chopped green onions.

If anyone has any ideas on what to the with the mush that is strained from the coconut milk I would love to hear about it. It feels such a waste throwing it away.

Last edited by veggie girl; 04-07-2005 at 12:36 PM.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User
Re: Coconut: Cheap, delicious and nutritious

Personally I'd use the mush in baking like in making a coconut cream pie or coconut pudding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
(female)

sarah2005 HB User

whats the best way to open a coconut?

Old 04-11-2005, 05:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Bust up with a HAMMER into 5-10 pieces, then take a knife and separate the meat from the shell. Store meat under ice cold water in the fridge.

Julia Child recommended putting it in a VERY hot oven for a short time and THEN using a hammer. Her method is supposed to separate the ***** from the shell. THAT'S the hard part and can easily result in a bad cut...wear gloves!

If you want the water, use an old screwdriver or punch and punch a hole into either end and drain into a glass.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
(female)

tdot HB User

When I was a kid my parents were very big into health food and we ate a lot of fresh coconut. My Dad would use an electric drill to get the water/milk out and then we would bash it with a hammer and then pry the meat off with a knife. I still love to buy coconuts, but have difficulty as I don't have a hammer or a drill! I make my bf come over and bash it open for me!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

It's great to hear people extol the virtues of coconut. The saturated fat scares off so many. Much of the fat in coconut is of the medium chain variety and known as a good antibacterial/antifungal. Traditional peoples that made coconuts an integral part of their diet enjoyed good health and fitness.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:33 PM   #7
(female)

ALMOST 4 YEARS HB User

I;m just wondering my daughter really likes coconuts but.. how many calories are in them i tried looking it up on the net didnt find anything with the calorie count of coconuts..

Old 06-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I made almond milk one time but didn't know what a "sieve" was(please don't laugh) and my husband didn't know either.lol
I did a google and still didn't find out what it was. I needed it for the griddy excess or remainder of the almonds.
Could anyone tell me what it is. this sounds like a good idea...thanks veg girl!

Old 06-24-2005, 02:21 PM   #9
(female)

jade112 HB User

Does anyone know much fat/calories/ carbs are in a coconut?

THX

Old 06-24-2005, 04:42 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
I made almond milk one time but didn't know what a "sieve" was(please don't laugh) and my husband didn't know either.lol
I did a google and still didn't find out what it was. I needed it for the griddy excess or remainder of the almonds.
Could anyone tell me what it is. this sounds like a good idea...thanks veg girl!
A sieve is just a very fine strainer that will allow the liquid to be separated from the solids. I use a commercial soy milk maker to make almond milk. It has a high speed serrated blade that pulverizes the almonds in a container that is immersed in water. It makes about a quart of milk from about 1 1/2 cups of almonds. It should work great for coconut as well which I'm going to try soon.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:14 AM   #11
(male)

hsas1999 HB User

Open it with a reciprocating saw

Old 06-25-2005, 04:34 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

jade,

The meat from one medium coconut weighing 397 grams contains 1405 calories, 133 grams of fat (85% of calories from fat), 60 grams of carbs (17%) and 13 grams of protein (4%.)

This VERY high fat- low protein food doesn't into my nutritional scheme and thus I have a VERY VERY rare coconut...maybe one a year.

When I was low carbbing I used coconut milk for puddings and the like. It was tasty but the nutrition picture is even worse with a cup of coconut milk weighing in at 3 times the calories of whole milk and comprising a WHOPPING 97.5% of its calories as fat.
It's worse than drinking a glass of melted butter as a beverage. Never again.

It tastes wonderful and for the taste I use a teeny bottle of coconut extract which requires only a couple drops to impart a delicious coconut flavor.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-25-2005 at 04:44 AM.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
jade,

The meat from one medium coconut weighing 397 grams contains 1405 calories, 133 grams of fat (85% of calories from fat), 60 grams of carbs (17%) and 13 grams of protein (4%.)

This VERY high fat- low protein food doesn't into my nutritional scheme and thus I have a VERY VERY rare coconut...maybe one a year.

When I was low carbbing I used coconut milk for puddings and the like. It was tasty but the nutrition picture is even worse with a cup of coconut milk weighing in at 3 times the calories of whole milk and comprising a WHOPPING 97.5% of its calories as fat.
It's worse than drinking a glass of melted butter as a beverage. Never again.

It tastes wonderful and for the taste I use a teeny bottle of coconut extract which requires only a couple drops to impart a delicious coconut flavor.
You don't eat coconut because they are low fat ... indeed as you state they are a high fat food. Coconut fat is high in medium chain fatty acids ... a type that is largely missing from the SAD and is used by the body in a number of ways (antifungal, antiviral). The paranoia about fat is the reason Americana are fat. The rush to have a low fat diet results in a high carbohydrate diet and that IS a recipe for laying on fat. Fat in and with a meal produces saitey, and results in fewer calories being consumed overall. I say UP WITH FATS! (well natural ones anyway).

Old 06-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #14
(female)

jade112 HB User

Thanx Lenin!! Wow that is ALOT of fat, I had no clue. I have never had a coconut...so I will prolly just stick with the extract and maybe a little of the shreaded kind.

-Jade

Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 AM   #15
(female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

How do you know if a coconut is a good one when picking it out at the store?

Closed Thread