It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
(male)

rentose HB User
A test for everyone...

I would like to know if a healthy diet is possible under the following conditions:

No cooking involved, except for microwave or quick boiling and frying, but only microwave if possible. Dont misunderstand me, I dont mean microwave dinners, I mean food that can be prepared in the microwave. I am not a fussy eater and can eat the same thing everyday if necessary, so if you can think of only one simple meal idea I can follow which will be healthy and easy to prepare then go for it. Also, I eat all foods, I have no dislikes (within reason). I would like there to be as much meat as is needed to maintain protein requirements, but if this can be done without mean then fine. But a little meat would be nice.

Is it possible? Thanks for your time,

Marc

Old 04-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #2

Summer Girl HB User
Re: A test for everyone...

As far as veggies and the microwave:

On a health segment on the news, they said that freezing vegtables will cause some of the vitamins to be destroyed from the veggies.
Microwaving veggies (fresh or frozen) is worse because majority of the vitamins will be destroyed

I would think that would apply to meat also, as far as microwaving. Not sure about freezing for meat.

But keep in mind that a microwave is cooking with radiation. Not too healthy at that. That is one of the reasons why in the microwave booklet it will state do not stand directly infront of the microwave while in use. And, you will also see a sign "microwave in use" at some food stores. Well, the one by me has it.

Microwave is great when you are in a rush, but it isn't the best way too cook a meal, especially if you are going to use it alot to prepare meals.
You are better off baking in the oven or doing a stir fry on the stove for example. There are quick and simple meals you can easily make that are very healthy without the use of the microwave.

Last edited by Summer Girl; 04-08-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentose
I would like to know if a healthy diet is possible under the following conditions:

No cooking involved, except for microwave or quick boiling and frying, but only microwave if possible. Dont misunderstand me, I dont mean microwave dinners, I mean food that can be prepared in the microwave. I am not a fussy eater and can eat the same thing everyday if necessary, so if you can think of only one simple meal idea I can follow which will be healthy and easy to prepare then go for it. Also, I eat all foods, I have no dislikes (within reason). I would like there to be as much meat as is needed to maintain protein requirements, but if this can be done without mean then fine. But a little meat would be nice.

Is it possible? Thanks for your time,

Marc
Everything about what's stated above is very unhealthy actually. Using a micro for primary cooking is unhealthy due to the radiation. Micro's are not meant to be used as a primary cooking source. Boiling is one of the worst ways to cook things (mainly veggies) because it extracts the healthful qualities out of them. Steam whenever possible to cook veggies. Frying is obviously never healthy, but if you must then use a little vegetable oil. You do not need meat to obtain good amounts of protein, just green leafy veggies, nuts, beans, grains, the majority of fruits, and soy all have excellent amounts of protein. So if you're goign to eat meat then eat it because you like it, but not to specifically obtain protein as there are much better and healthier sources for protein.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
(male)

rentose HB User

thanks veggie goddess and summer girl.

Ms Goddess, how does one steam, and does it have to be on a stove. sorry, i'm a bad cook

Last edited by rentose; 04-08-2005 at 03:23 PM.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User

Steaming is always the best wen it comes to cooking them as it retains their nutrients best. Boiling boils them right out into the water.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
(male)

rentose HB User

also, what are the best veggies to eat raw, and which veggies can i keep in the fridge and still eat raw a few days later. which veggies keep the best? and can you list a few so I can see which are expensive and which arent as veg isnt that cheap where i stay. is one boiled egg a day a good idea, will it raise cholesterol, if not can I have 2?

sorry bout the weird questions

oh, and if I eat just veg and beans/nuts for the protein, will I be missing out on anything. What can I add to the veg and nuts/beans to make sure I'm not missing anything

I drink a lot of orange and apple juice, but mainly made from concentrate, is this still okay? Thanks!!

Old 04-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User

The best veggies to eat raw which keep for a good amount of time are carrots (I buy the small one's for easy eating), celery, broccoli if stores correctly in fridge, cauliflower, cucumber, okra, spinach (if kept properly in fridge), snap peas etc... Leafy veggies do not keep for too long due to them being so fragile but the best way to make them last longer is to 1. wash them 2. layer a plastic container w/ a paper towel 3. place the leaves of whatever the veggie is (lettuce, kale, spinach etc...) on top of each other unless there's a lot an then place a paper towel mid-way in between. 4. seal container and they should last twice as long then if you just stuck them in the fridge or in the vegetable container that comes w/ a fridge. There's nothing you need to add to veggies unless you just want to to make them more flavorful for you. These things are the healthiest when eaten as is or steamed. Remember: fresh is always best in all respects and the same goes for juices. Juice from concentrate are very high in sugar so not very healthy and should be consumed in moderation. If your primary juices are OJ and Apple juice then just buy them fresh as they are the 2 most common juices to be available fresh.

No, you will not be missing out on anythign healthful if you do not consume meat. The extras you get from meat are fat & cholestrole.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User

You should really do a search on-line about how to eat healthy as there's hundreds of web sites about it which go into detail. Just type in key words such as healthy eating, diet, raw, vegetables, fruit, protein etc... You know what you are looking for, just not sure how to obtain it so searching should be relatively simple.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
(male)

rentose HB User

thanks for your help!!!

Old 04-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

jozi209 HB User

hi i have never turned an oven on im my life but i consider myself a very healthy eater. i dont steam veggies becasue that to me is too much work.
first-i dont drink juice/pop, don't eat any sweets, and no fast/processed foods. tons of water. no lite or low fat.
fresh organic (if possible) foods are great. i eat besically the same thing every day, but have a few variations of meals.

-oatmeal (microwave or cook on the stove), vanilla soy milk, cranberries mixed together.
-plain yogurt with any type fruit.
-marinated asparagus (from a jar, i don't eat too much of this b/c of the sodium)
-apples and organic (this is the one food that really should be eaten in organic form) peanutbutter
-all fruits
-raw veggies, no dip
-veggie salad 1. lettuce/spinach, avocado, squeezed lemon drops, and tomatoes. because i really hate lettuce and will only eat it sometimes, 2. cucumber, tomato, bell papper, onion salad with vinegar, salt, pepper, olive oil dressing. you can add feta cheese. 3. tomatoes olives cucumber pepper onion. cut up put either sour cream or yogurt and feta cheese.
-canned sardines in oil
-protein powder if necessary
-egg whites
-toasted tomato sandwhiches , toasted bread or wasa bread, tomatoes and full fat mayo
-protein powder as a resort when i don't feel like eating

all i can think of now.
or because i really

Old 04-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User

My mom was the same way about prepping and cooking foods (mainly veggies). I did buy here a steamer though and it took no time at all to get into the habbit of steaming as it takes the same amount of time w/ most veggies to boil as it does to steam. Carrots are an exception. There's actually no real work invloved in steaming. Just like if prepping veggies to cook (any method ) you're cut to whatever size you need, probably wash off, pour maybe a half cup water in steamer (depedning on how many veggies), toss vegies in steamer and flip the switch. That's hardly complicated or time consuming.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #12
(male)

TheKeyIsHealth HB User

Summer Girl,

"On a health segment on the news, they said that freezing
vegtables will cause some of the vitamins to be destroyed
from the veggies. Microwaving veggies (fresh or frozen) is
worse because majority of the vitamins will be destroyed."

There were probably little or no vitamins in the vegetables to begin with. Even if there were vitamins in the vegetables, any form of cooking destroys their nutritional value. You need to eat raw vegetable that are rich in nutrients.

"But keep in mind that a microwave is cooking with radiation."

This is somewhat misleading. Microwave ovens produce a radio wave at the resonate frequency of water. This causes the water molecules to vibrate. The friction from that vibration causes heat.

Tom

Old 04-12-2005, 12:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentose
thanks veggie goddess and summer girl.

Ms Goddess, how does one steam, and does it have to be on a stove. sorry, i'm a bad cook
Steaming is the easiest way to cook. Just wash your veg, put in in a small, regular pan, add about a tablespoon of water, bring to boil and then turn down and put on lid. Asparagus is done is about 2-5 minutes (depending on size) broccoli in about 4 minutes, and spinach, around a minute.

Its SO quick and the veggies stay nice and brightly colored and are cruncy but cooked.

Stuff like carrots, brussels sprouts, string beans and cabbage take a little longer - around 8-12 minutes.

I have a timer that I set so it will beep after a certain amount of time so I don't forget to check on stuff. I shove a sharp knife in and I can tell if they're ready or not.

Last edited by veggie girl; 04-12-2005 at 12:09 AM.

Closed Thread