It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User
pork roast?

My dad came for supper and made a pork roast....now the thing about these are that they are FULL of fat! yuck! and it is SO hard to pick at it without wasting a whole lot a meat....well, i tried my best eating what i can and it was really good, but i ended up eating sum of the fat stuff....is this really really bad?? i mean...it doesnt happen often but ugh!

Old 04-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: pork roast?

nah..its no biggie, eat eat.. if i where you i would of ate the whole thing. ..you need to put on weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

hehe..okay! haha yea, ur prolly like my dad, he'd eat nething, and if my mom and i trim lots of fat inclusing meat off he'd have a cow!

Old 04-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

I realize I may have missed other related posts, but I thought I would jump in here anyway.

Even if you need to gain weight, it is not a great idea to increase your fat intake too much. Fat (especially animal fat) stores toxicity in your body and when you increase fat, you increase liklihood of a weakened immune system and getting sick more often (colds, flu, etc...)

To gain weight focus in calorie dense foods that are high in carbs and protein. Your goal is to increase muscle mass, not body fat.

Pork roast isn't bad if it is pork LOIN roast (like a center cut - lots of white meat with less fat) but you really should avoid the fattier cuts. Also avoid low-quality fatty cuts of beef, bacon, sausage, and deli meats.

Better yet, for quality protein eat lots of fish, poultry, beans, and eggs.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

o heck, i am a total health nut! i wouldnt be caught dead eating a peice of bacon or nething fatty...this was just a "oops" haha

Old 04-10-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Sammy I dont believe you should worry about the types of meat you are eating, especially given your history. Focus on moderation of EVERYTHING, not just "good and bad" foods. Deli meats, bacon and even pork (not loin) roast is absolutely OK, given that you dont feast on it day in and day out. I think what JD should've said (or may be saying this btwn the lines) is that eating fat is FINE, as long as EVERY source of protein isn't fat laden. You can have fatty meats and foods, just dont eat everything this way

Jd- just a heads up- sammy is trying to gain weight healthfully and is doing a great job thus far, however she still struggles sometimes with getting her mind around her goals and what is healthy and not healthy. Given her eating disorder-ed history and present, I don't think recommending to avoid or cut or or count/ figure out the percentages of meals is a great idea. Just something to consider..

Old 04-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Did not know about the ED... "counting" isn't necessary, but if you want advice on how to gain pounds without gaining fat, it is by eating lots of healthy unrefined carbs and making sure quality (lower-fat) protein is consumed with every meal and snack. That would be my general advice to anyone.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I'm complainging that pork is too LEAN these days.
I usually buy a boneless loin (about 8 pounds and cut several small roasts and freeze.)
I really think the fat content is quite a bit less than a comparable piece of beef.

I'm even thinking of pushing bacon into the center to "grease it" as it cooks. It's fat that makes meat tender and juicy.

Maybe I'll start buying the shoulder cuts which are CHEAP and much fattier...but a pain in the asp to carve!

Closed Thread