It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User
Question What I ate today <---concerned?

man, i should really stop worrying, but today i think my ED is trying to kick in....well, i think i ate a lot today but i need ur guyses opinion....the weather was really nasty today so i just had a lazy movie day at home with my mom and all i did excercise wise is jump rope for 20 minutes, and dance around a bit. later on tonite i will do leg excercises and stuff....

well, this is what i ate...

Breakfast:
Bowl of raisin bran (i added sum raisins because they are so chinsey) with skim milk
Orange juice

Snack:
Banana (fairly large)
Big bowl of fat free yogurt with raisins (yet, high in cals)

Lunch:
2 grilled cheese sandwhiches
skim milk

Snack:
Bowl of popcorn (to be exact it was measured to 1/3 cup of kernels..i didnt share and ate it all)
glass of diet coke
like...haha 30 baby carrots

Supper:
Salad with low fat tomato dressing stuff, cheese, croutons, and almonds
2 peices of homemade turkey pie
Skim milk..

Now....i am in the process of gaining weight, but i am just so scared i will gain it ALL at once...id like to think im ready for weight gain, but theres a teeny bit of me thats a bit freaked out. how many cals do u think i consumed?

gosh, i dunno why im freakin...i should be proud! i mean, i have to gain 10 lbs by june. if i eat like this till then (including sports and exercise), will i gain? the deal is if i do, i get to get my bellybutton peirced

and once i do gain i can lower the food a notch.

advice, pointers? words of wisdom?? lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: What I ate today <---concerned?

Again, I don't know your history, but my general advice is that you need to better balance your diet. Remember that carbohydrates provide you with fuel to burn, but what is not burned mostly converts into fat. Protein, on the other hand, is converted into amino acids which builds and repairs muscle mass. I assume your goal is to increase muscle mass, not gain fat, so you need to burn through the fuel you consume (carbs) and eat enough lower-fat protein to help increase muscle mass.

I assume that you are easily burning through the fuel (carbs) you eat if you are underweight, so its probably okay to continue eating lots of quality carbs. But don't eat so many carbs that you don't get enough protein. When you break down each meal or snack that you consume, about 50% of your calories should come from carbs, 20-30% should come from protein and never more than 30% should come from fat.

Right now, your diet looks very carb-heavy, especially in the early part of the day. You might want to decrease your carb intake slightly and add more protein. To ensure that you are taking advantage of the calories you are consuming, make sure you are getting a decent amount of protein with each and every meal (20-25 grams). Best sources of protein include fish, poultry, beans, soy, nuts, eggs, and cottage cheese.

I bet that your breakfast and morning snack didn't come close to that amount of protein. Sure the carb and fat calories will help you gain the pounds quickly, but for your longterm results you should focus on gaining weight by increasing muscle mass, not fat.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

wow jdi, where the hell have you been.??

Old 04-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Hey Sammy- I think for the most part your diet looks fine. You still are choosing skim and low fat things over full fat when possible (which you dont need to do at your age!), and youre snacking on yogurt, fruits and things like that. While you may benefit from some more protein at breakfast for example (like some ham, or eggs, cheese, etc), overall your diet is GOOD. You dont need to cut down anything, and you definately will not just GAIN weight overnight or jsut like that (like you worry about).

I wouldn't recommend getting too involved or worried about the % of cals that your day breaks up into. You have a history of obsessive and ED behaviours, and this would only "fuel the fire" to say the least. Just try to get a lil more protein, that's all. But otherwise your day is great, and you CAN pick full fat if youre up to it (its not going to make the difference between a 2 lb gain or a 10 lbs gain!). Keep working at your gaining weight goals, and youre doing great. Remember- dont start getting too caught up with the percentage breakdowns or anything...just try to get a lil more protein into breakfast and maybe one or two of your snacks. Also, you CAN incorporate one of your snacks AFTER dinner, like around 9pm, like if you watch a movie and want popcorn or something. I know a lot of things you hear say not to eat late, but that applies to people who dont count cals and portion control EVERYTHING. You CAN eat after dinner, so dont be afraid to!

Awesome job!
XO

Last edited by girlygirl11; 04-10-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

Haha okay thanks guys!!

Old 04-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Don't worry - you definitely did not overeat. That looks like a day for a normal person and you are trying to GAIN weight. I know the panicky feeling that you are going to gain it all at once, though. It WON'T happen - trust me.

Good luck...

Old 04-12-2005, 05:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Ls- try to apply some of this advice to your own struggles! Again, you are posting over and over about basically the same things. Know that you are doing the right thing and that you need to worry less about what you eat!

Closed Thread