It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User
Can someone help me????

I need some ideas of a balanced diet. I eat fairly healthy, but i know i dont get my daily needs, and i go way too long without eating! I eat almost the same thing everyday except for dinner, i cook every night. Lots of boneless skinless chicken breast! I guess i need to follow a routine, and dont know which one to follow! Are protein shakes good, if you dont get enough protein? They taste so gross though! I exercise 7 days a week, so i need to have nutrition as well. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
(female)

jade112 HB User
Re: Can someone help me????

Hey-

Why do you go so long without eating? You can bring snax with you if you are unable to sit down and eat a full meal. Also, what are you trying to accomplish? Just a well balanced diet? Loose weight?
With a little more info on what you currently eat I can probably try and help suggest some things that might be better choices for you.

- Jade

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

Hey Jade...................Well this is the story. I've been working with a trainer for 7 months. I quit smoking 6 weeks ago. My body fat is 15.5%, i am 5"5 and i weigh 135lbs. Very muscular body. I want to lose about 15lbs. I have always been at 120, and in the past couple of years i have gained 20lbs! My concern here is, that im not eating right. My day goes like this. Cereal at 8 am. Then i eat again between 12-2. I will have a sandwich or cheese and crackers or string cheese and an apple. Dinner i eat mostly chicken breast, but i will also make a variety of other things, all cooking low fat. For a snack either in the day or after dinner my choices are low fat ice cream, baked chips, apple, fruit snack, something along that line. I know you should eat 5 small meals a day...........or have 2 snacks in there, but i find it SO HARD to do. I eat out 2-4 days a month, never eat fast food, or high fat foods. Oh, all i drink is water and i also have 2 cups of coffee a day! Like i said, i need to have a routine to follow, but dont know where to begin. I can ask my trainer, but he thinks im nuts as far as how much i work out, and am a little obsessed about my weight, as he seems to think im right where i should be, but im not comfortable, and i may have put on a little more weight since i quit smoking!!! I know muscle weighs more than fat, but my weight is awfully high, since im not that tall, and all the cardio i do. K, sorry so long......

Old 04-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
(female)

jade112 HB User

OK well thats a lot of information : ) CONGRATS on quitting smoking!!!! Thats awesome!!1 Since you work so closely with your trainer my advice would be to ask them to help you create a meal plan. Your trainer will honestly have a better idea of the amount of calories you should be eating but I can give you some more healthy meal and snack ideas : ) From your post I dont think you r in bad of shape with your diet. You seem to eat pretty healthy and get plenty of water, I would suggest you need more protien, variety and to eat more frequently if possible.
Here are a couple ideas:
Breakfast:
Whole grain cereals are very good (what kind are you eating?)
- Try adding nuts and fruit to your cereal
Eggs- You can do so much with eggs in the morning
- I eat egg white omlettes a lot I love them and they are so versitile you can put almost anything in them and they are quick and easy.
Cottage Cheese and Fruit & Whole Wheat Toast
Lunch:
Try to eat your sandwich on Whole Wheat Breads or Crackers
-Watch your condiment uses-
I make Tuna and Chicken salad with ff mayo and mustard and then I put grapes and celery and chives and I eat it with spinage and tomato on Whole Wheat pita. I find the more veggies I can fit in to each meal the better!!
Salads are also great for lunch.
-you can top with chicken, eggs, tuna, beef, beans, cheeses ect. (to get protien in)
-Watch your condiment uses here too for fat-
Dinner:
I eat chicken A LOT too!!! I really love it. Its lean and you can cook it a million ways. (baked chx tenders, chx. parm, fajitias (sp?), soups, BBQ.....)
Some new favorites of mine: (if you can sway from chx)
Ground Turkey!! (extra lean has .5 g of fat and its awesome)
I make tacos, chilli, meatballs, soups and they are great.
Crab cake salad
Eggplant Parm
Snacks:Veggies, Jerkey, Whole Wheat crackers & Cheese, Yogurt, Applesauce, Cereal and Nuts, Baked Chips or Pretzles, Fruit....
I would just try to get two snax in each day even if they are tiny. You keep your body going and you are sneaking in xtra nutrients!!

Well this sure turned out to be quite the long post, whoops I hope this helps you some!! Keep me posted with how the diet is coming along.
- Jade

Old 04-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
(female)

jade112 HB User

Wow my post was reeeallllly long I didnt even realize, sorry my bad!!!! As you can see I am working SO hard at my job today I totally have SPRING FEVER!!.

- Jade

Old 04-13-2005, 02:24 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

Jade thank you so much for all the helpful info. I think what i struggle with most is eating every 3-4 hours! I never eat white bread----YUCK! But i can add alot more fruit and some other things too! I know what you mean, i have spring fever somethin fierce right now! Thanxs again............Have a great day!

Old 04-15-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

princess,

You don't need to worry about getting extra protein from shakes because if skinless white chicken meat is your mainstay, it's a superb high protein (and little else) source.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess72
I need some ideas of a balanced diet. I eat fairly healthy, but i know i dont get my daily needs, and i go way too long without eating! I eat almost the same thing everyday except for dinner, i cook every night. Lots of boneless skinless chicken breast! I guess i need to follow a routine, and dont know which one to follow! Are protein shakes good, if you dont get enough protein? They taste so gross though! I exercise 7 days a week, so i need to have nutrition as well. Anyone have any ideas?
Princess, you don't need to take protein shakes if you are eating balanced meals. It is possible to balance your meals without doing a lot of cooking. The key is to make sure you are getting carbs, protein, and fat with every meal and snack that you eat. Where many people fall short is that do not eat enough protein early in the day or they eat too much protein. So how do you know how much?

Well there are formulas you can use to help you balance your diet. For example with each meal and snack you can aim to get 50% calories from carbs, 25% from protein, and 25% from fat. There are other formulas, this is just an example.

But many people do not want to do all the calculating (though it really is not hard once you get the gist of it). If you want to post your daily menu up here (include quantities) I can tell you where you are now and offer suggestions as to where you can shift for better balance. Also would help to know your age, height, and weight.

Closed Thread