It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2005, 11:04 AM   #16
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

Legumes were only consumed in any substantial way after agriculture began. Althought humankind's control of fire may be hundreds of thousands of years there were no vessels to cook things like grains and legumes. Your evolutionary time line is skewed; Neanderthals lived with early true modern humans just a few hundred thousand years ago and only died out some tens of thousands of years ago. The divergence from apes is much further back, with the last common ancestor of chimps and what became humans some 6 MILLION years ago. As to the delights of the culinary world I can only say that is in the taste buds of the beholder, a paleolithic person would not recognize bread or hummas for that matter as food. So here is the basic concept. There has been no evolutionary change in what our bodies have been designed by time to eat. All of the foods that entered the diet because of agriculture are essentially foreign to our gut. The diseases of modern humans can be traced to a diet that is based on those agricultural products. The evidence is clear when you examine the bones of preagricultural people and those that came after. Preagricultual people were much larger, had denser and bigger bones, were more heavily muscled and showed no indications of the diseases that plagued the agriculturists, they also had few or 0 dental caries. Those people that began eating a grain based diet became much smaller and the health problems become much more problematic. You can use your search engine to find much more. BTW I did not know that Mercola advocated legumes, he is very down on grains but could not be considered a paleo diet guy because he advocates raw milk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2005, 08:08 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

So then my pre-algricultural ancestors were much larger than I am (I'm 6'2"?) Gee, they must be hiding those 7 foot prehistoric remains because all that I've seen are quite small.

"No vessels to cook in" is quite preposterous. I would think that ANY brain that can manage fire is quite capable of hollowing a soft stone or making something from MUD.

These heavily muscled brutes gave way to heavily and convolutedly BRAINED ones who didn't NEED to chase prey and beat it with sticks to get a meal...they grew it, or trapped it.

One can trust that as soon as man learned manage the fire AND the pot, he put beans and lentils into it and enjoyed his "potage." He laughed at his soon to be extinct heavily muscled neighbors running around with their sticks after their breakfast.

Quote:
Your evolutionary time line is skewed; Neanderthals lived with early true modern humans just a few hundred thousand years ago and only died out some tens of thousands of years ago.
is a criticism of my "timeline"
Would you show me how?
Quote:
If one wants to go back in evolutionary roots perhaps beyond Neanderthal, maybe to near apedom he might encounter an early man-like creature without the use of fire.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-26-2005 at 08:10 AM.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #18
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

The evidence is clear from human remains that preagricultureal people were much larger than those that ate an agriculturally based diet. Pottery is of very recent vintage so our evolutionary ancestors HAD NONE. There is substantial evidence that our modern brain is about 14% smaller than the brain of our preagricultural forebearers again a result of our agriculturally based diet. This information and much more is available when you research paleolithic diets on the web.

Old 06-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Well, I'll certainly lend some credibility to our brains possibly being smaller nowadays, especially when you consider the mess this whole world is in.

Old 06-26-2005, 12:07 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Just because modern agriculture only developed new methods of producing our food, doesn't mean that it wasn't meant for us to eat it. Yeah, from the VERY beginning, all that there was to eat was plants and animal flesh. But what about new discoveries??? What about all of the NEW modern effective discoveries about alternative medicines, herbs, etc. That wasn't taking place at the beginning of time??? Man was just becoming more intuitive and smarter by discovering more ways to eat other foods like rice, beans, whole grains etc. Look at all of the new research regarding recent(not too recent) benefits of fairly modern foods, herbs, etc. There is NOTHING wrong with rice and beans...as time evolved, more discoveries were made!
Same goes for man who developed higher tech appliances and electronics. We are just getting smarter. Did you ever hear of a vcr, or refrigerator 10,000 years ago?
Our brains probably have shrunk because of all of the processed sugar that is prevalent in many diets today. That's the key, to stay away from THAT junk.

Last edited by Jess75; 06-26-2005 at 12:41 PM.

Old 06-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #21
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

ahhhaaaa I guess we're coming to the end of the world.

Old 06-26-2005, 01:58 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, and I also wanted to mention from doing extensive research regarding healthy eating, I've come to the conclusion, along with many other people advocating the mediterranean diet being the healthiest diet yet.

Reasearchers from the University of Athen's med school tracked 74,000 men and women over the age of 60 living in 9 European countries. They found that the mortality was lower among those who stuck mostly to a diet of whole grains, fish, unsaturated fats like olive oil, nuts, and beans. Also, the diet includes moderate amounts chicken, and dairy products like hard cheese, yogurt, eggs, and small amounts of red meat(once a week). People from Mediterranean rellish on a glass or 2 of red wine with their meals. They enjoy fresh fruits and cheese for desserts or baked goods sweetened with sugar or honey a few times per week. They also incorporate activity but tha's besides the point.

Dr. Sinclair has been interviewed by every major news network for his amazing discovery, that a 125 year human lifespan would become possible.

From doing research, this diet is probably ONE of the healthiest IF not THE healthiest. It's been recognized AS the healthiest in many articles. I thought many of you would find an interest in this, although I'm sure many of you know.

ALthough, some people may feel at their optimal best on the "Paleo" diet, "Vegan" diet...everybody is different and if those diets work for you that's fantastic!
ALthough, I don't think that humans were only meant to consume anything else but ONLY meat, veggies, fruits, and some nuts.

Last edited by Jess75; 06-26-2005 at 02:21 PM.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:57 AM   #23
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

ALthough, some people may feel at their optimal best on the "Paleo" diet, "Vegan" diet...everybody is different and if those diets work for you that's fantastic!
ALthough, I don't think that humans were only meant to consume anything else but ONLY meat, veggies, fruits, and some nuts.

I'm curious, do you think humans were meant to eat wheat, corn and rice. How about cows milk or soy beans?
none of these "foods" can be eaten (excepting the milk) without processing and cooking so how would humans be "meant" to eat them? Just curious on how you would answer this

Old 06-27-2005, 11:11 AM   #24
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot
LS,

If you are worried about the calories in store bought hummus, make it yourself! I was vegetarian for 10 years + had a family who was crazy about healthy food. My Dad started making hummus when I was about 14 (10 years ago) and then I started making it too. I usually make it once a week and with the recipe I use, I never feel guilty about eating a lot of it.

Here is my recipe. Give it a try!

1 can chick peas, drained
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
juice of 2 lemons
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1-3 tbsp of water (depending on how thick/smooth you like it)

Basically what I do is I puree the garlic the food processor, then I had the lemon juice, chick peas, tahini and so on. I drizzle the olive oil in slowly so it is smooth

*Tip: If you would like it to be really low fat, use only 1 tbsp olive oil and use water to make it smooth

This recipe is really low fat (and the fat used is healthy fat) and high in protein! I eat it everyday!!!

ENJOY!
Mm.. sounds good. I'm gonna try it out!

Old 06-27-2005, 11:35 AM   #25
(female)

tdot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_
Mm.. sounds good. I'm gonna try it out!
It's awesome. I love hummus and just can't bring myself to buy the stuff in the grocery stores - it is mostly fat. When you make it from scratch, you can control the amount of fat you use and you can get the amount of fat pretty low in this recipe.

Enjoy!

Old 06-27-2005, 09:22 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse

I'm curious, do you think humans were meant to eat wheat, corn and rice. How about cows milk or soy beans?
none of these "foods" can be eaten (excepting the milk) without processing and cooking so how would humans be "meant" to eat them? Just curious on how you would answer this
I meant, that I do believe that beans, rice, and high quality whole grains(non processed) are an important part of our diet. And yah, you have to cook the beans, corn and rice.LOL

And I also just explained in my last two posts in this particular thread, the one about modern agriculture, and the one about the mediterranean diet(WHICH DOES include rice, beans, whole grains etc and the one's who follow it maintains excellent health). And it seems like your theory about this "paleo" diet is the only way to eat, and I dont' think it's for everybody. I'm sure there are many people who actually DO benefit from this diet though. But like I said, ONE diet doesn't work for everybody. We all have different metabolic types etc, and advocating the paleo diet, could make some really sick. I know people who ate low carb that were constipated all the time, low of energy, and their cholesterol was high. The paleo diet is old, and that was before man discovered other healthy foods to eat, some are good to eat and some aren't. This white flour junk and processed wheat, and greasy foods and chemicals is where "man" messed up!!lol Just because the "paleo" diet was the first foods we ate when we first evolved doesn't mean anything. Like I said, modern agriculture(not to mention many other things) has vastly improved over MANY years.

In Japan and China, they eat lots of beans and rice and their known for good health.

Last edited by Jess75; 06-27-2005 at 11:08 PM.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:02 AM   #27
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
I meant, that I do believe that beans, rice, and high quality whole grains(non processed) are an important part of our diet. And yah, you have to cook the beans, corn and rice.LOL

And I also just explained in my last two posts in this particular thread, the one about modern agriculture, and the one about the mediterranean diet(WHICH DOES include rice, beans, whole grains etc and the one's who follow it maintains excellent health). And it seems like your theory about this "paleo" diet is the only way to eat, and I dont' think it's for everybody. I'm sure there are many people who actually DO benefit from this diet though. But like I said, ONE diet doesn't work for everybody. We all have different metabolic types etc, and advocating the paleo diet, could make some really sick. I know people who ate low carb that were constipated all the time, low of energy, and their cholesterol was high. The paleo diet is old, and that was before man discovered other healthy foods to eat, some are good to eat and some aren't. This white flour junk and processed wheat, and greasy foods and chemicals is where "man" messed up!!lol Just because the "paleo" diet was the first foods we ate when we first evolved doesn't mean anything. Like I said, modern agriculture(not to mention many other things) has vastly improved over MANY years.

In Japan and China, they eat lots of beans and rice and their known for good health.
Evolution is a selection process and if it's natural that you're looking for, a paleo diet is THE only one humans have been selected to eat. While a paleo diet can be widely varied as to % of plant to animal food or vice versa the basic components didn't include the modern foods you seem to think are healthy. Before humans ate these modern foods they were more robust, had few or no dental caries, did not suffer from obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer or other diseases of modern humans. So, the question becomes why do you think these foods are healthy? The Mediterranean diet you think so highly of is just a diet that limits the worst of the modern diet such as prepared foods, artificial fats and additives. A reduction in harm is not optimal and while I also think that such a diet is healthier than SAD it is NOT a diet that promotes optimal health.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Evolution is a selection process and if it's natural that you're looking for, a paleo diet is THE only one humans have been selected to eat. While a paleo diet can be widely varied as to % of plant to animal food or vice versa the basic components didn't include the modern foods you seem to think are healthy. Before humans ate these modern foods they were more robust, had few or no dental caries, did not suffer from obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer or other diseases of modern humans. So, the question becomes why do you think these foods are healthy? The Mediterranean diet you think so highly of is just a diet that limits the worst of the modern diet such as prepared foods, artificial fats and additives. A reduction in harm is not optimal and while I also think that such a diet is healthier than SAD it is NOT a diet that promotes optimal health.
Well since your a celiac and seem really smart, my antigliadin test came up postive but the secretary said that it wasn't so serious. My Igg number was 38 and the normal is 20. Remember, I had a blood test to see if i had a "gluten intolorance." I may have to eat like this "paleo" diet after all. But I love rice, so I don't think I have to give up that. I can't have any breads or anything so, it looks like this will be my diet, LOL. Is 38 high??
thanks I'm shocked!!!

Last edited by Jess75; 06-28-2005 at 12:03 PM.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #29
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Well since your a celiac and seem really smart, my antigliadin test came up postive but the secretary said that it wasn't so serious. My Igg number was 38 and the normal is 20. Remember, I had a blood test to see if i had a "gluten intolorance." I may have to eat like this "paleo" diet after all. But I love rice, so I don't think I have to give up that. I can't have any breads or anything so, it looks like this will be my diet, LOL. Is 38 high??
thanks I'm shocked!!!
Your doctor may want to do an endoscopy/biopsy to confirm a diagnosis of Celiac disease. I personally have undergone this procedure but would not do it again. There are now several tests that are definitive and non invasive, a DNA test and a fecal test both of which can be done at home. Rice can be eaten by some even most celiacs as it does not contain gluten. However I have found that elimination of all grains produces a better result. Celiacs have serious gut damage that produces something called leaky gut syndrome and because of that autoimmune dieseases are common. Dairy and legumes can be big problems for celiacs and I eat neither. Good luck and remember you will need to educate yourself on this issue if you are to be able to protect yourself from hidden gluten in the grocery store products and at restuarants

Old 06-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Your doctor may want to do an endoscopy/biopsy to confirm a diagnosis of Celiac disease. I personally have undergone this procedure but would not do it again. There are now several tests that are definitive and non invasive, a DNA test and a fecal test both of which can be done at home. Rice can be eaten by some even most celiacs as it does not contain gluten. However I have found that elimination of all grains produces a better result. Celiacs have serious gut damage that produces something called leaky gut syndrome and because of that autoimmune dieseases are common. Dairy and legumes can be big problems for celiacs and I eat neither. Good luck and remember you will need to educate yourself on this issue if you are to be able to protect yourself from hidden gluten in the grocery store products and at restuarants
But how do you explain a high IgG test to gluten, or are you saying that that's not a true indication? I thought that you could gve me an idea about what IgG 38 means??? I'm getting impatient and the secretary never called me back since I couldn't hear her when I was shopping. You seem like you know this stuff.
THanks

Closed Thread