It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 937
LS289 HB User
Hummus...good or bad?

I just ate a big salad with turkey, tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, pepperoncinis, feta, hummus, and light dressing. I probably ate about half of a container of the hummus, and afterwards I looked at the nutritional information and was astonished. 7 servings in one small tub! And 60 calories per serving! That means that I ate about 200 calories worth of hummus (maybe more). Would you call this a bad thing?

My "light" lunch has turned out to be not so light with the feta, the hummus, the olives (oh yeah, and that small bowl of cereal I had afterwards).

What are the benefits of hummus/garbanzo beans?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,658
Losec20mg HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

I just ate about 350g of pasta..with 1 cup of chich peas and, 1/2 of cottage cheese..I just ate like for three people..ayayaa.oh well. I only eat pasta once a week, so when I eat it, I eat it. ..but, then again im a man.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-19-2005 at 12:28 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,658
Losec20mg HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

you can eat. LOL. so eat

Last edited by Administrator; 04-19-2005 at 12:29 PM.

 
Old 04-13-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 944
veggie girl HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

regarding the chick peas. Hey, you had a wonderfully delicious lunch and found out afterwards that its a little more calories heavy than you'd like. So, in future, just put yourself a portion out rather than leaving the container out as its so hard to put it down.

Hummous is not bad at all its has protein and lots of nutrients. Like everything in life, moderation is the key.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-19-2005 at 12:25 PM.

 
Old 04-14-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 944
veggie girl HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
I just ate about 350g of pasta..with 1 cup of chich peas and, 1/2 of cottage cheese..I just ate like for three people..ayayaa.oh well. I only eat pasta once a week, so when I eat it, I eat it. ..but, then again im a man.
Man, how could you walk after eating like all that food??!! haha. I bet you did an Al Bundy, right? - just unbuttoned the fly and collapsed onto the couch!!

I love pasta too but I try to only eat it once a week coz I gt too addicted and after I've eaten I'm so stuffed that I want to sleep or too stuff that I can't even lie down comfortably!! haha

Last edited by Administrator; 04-19-2005 at 12:30 PM.

 
Old 04-14-2005, 07:24 AM   #6
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 230
tdot HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

LS,

If you are worried about the calories in store bought hummus, make it yourself! I was vegetarian for 10 years + had a family who was crazy about healthy food. My Dad started making hummus when I was about 14 (10 years ago) and then I started making it too. I usually make it once a week and with the recipe I use, I never feel guilty about eating a lot of it.

Here is my recipe. Give it a try!

1 can chick peas, drained
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
juice of 2 lemons
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1-3 tbsp of water (depending on how thick/smooth you like it)

Basically what I do is I puree the garlic the food processor, then I had the lemon juice, chick peas, tahini and so on. I drizzle the olive oil in slowly so it is smooth

*Tip: If you would like it to be really low fat, use only 1 tbsp olive oil and use water to make it smooth

This recipe is really low fat (and the fat used is healthy fat) and high in protein! I eat it everyday!!!

ENJOY!
__________________
T.T.T.

 
Old 04-16-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 944
veggie girl HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot
This recipe is really low fat (and the fat used is healthy fat) and high in protein! I eat it everyday!!!

ENJOY!
What do you eat your hummous with?

 
Old 04-17-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 937
LS289 HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

I scoop it onto my salads, spread it on bread when I'm making a sandwich, or eat it plain with fresh veggies (carrots are my favorite). It's soooo delicious!!!

 
Old 06-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 126
racehorse HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

I eat a paleolithic diet and wouldn't dream of eating chickpeas. Legumes are not a food we are designed to eat.

 
Old 06-24-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 249
llamamuffinmama HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

Aside from thinking legumes are somehow "unnatural" food for us, I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't dream of eating them. They're full of protein, calcium, iron, and fiber and have healthy fat. I find them very easily digestible and would think most people would except perhaps for someone with diverticulitis or something similar going on. Are there some adverse effects that you know of or according to the paleolithic diet? Is there a logical reason we don't know for avoiding them? It just seems like we must have evolved to be able to eat them and other legumes considering how heart healthy they are and the other benefits they provide.
__________________
Go Vegan- For the Earth, Your Health, and the Animals!

 
Old 06-24-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 126
racehorse HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamamuffinmama
Aside from thinking legumes are somehow "unnatural" food for us, I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't dream of eating them. They're full of protein, calcium, iron, and fiber and have healthy fat. I find them very easily digestible and would think most people would except perhaps for someone with diverticulitis or something similar going on. Are there some adverse effects that you know of or according to the paleolithic diet? Is there a logical reason we don't know for avoiding them? It just seems like we must have evolved to be able to eat them and other legumes considering how heart healthy they are and the other benefits they provide.
Legumes are well known to cause digestive problems unless properly prepared and even then there are the distress of gas and a growling belly. The phytates in legumes can cause poor absorbtion of minerals. Protease inhibitors can damage the pancreas, haemagglutins can produce various problems and Lathyrogens in Chickpeas can be responsible for Spastic paralysis of the legs, skeletal abnormalities. This (legumes) is not a food we were designed by evolution to eat and so I avoid all legumes. I know of no study that concludes that legumes are "heart healthy" if you do I would like to read it. I am not sure what other benifits they provide but perhaps you could educate me?

 
Old 06-25-2005, 06:25 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,484
Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

I think legumes present a superb mixture of nutrients that, IF PROPERLY COOKED, give the highest protein content by far in the plant world. I think without legumes, billions would have starved over the course of history because grains simply are not a comparably good source of protein.

Legumes MUST be cooked in some way to make them digestible, thus mankind evolved into creatures that early on learned the advantages of cooking and the clever management of fire.

If one wants to go back in evolutionary roots perhaps beyond Neanderthal, maybe to near apedom he might encounter an early man-like creature without the use of fire. Such a creature wouldn't eat legumes but then he wouldn't eat uncooked rice or raw chickens either. Man and cooking are a VERY natural evolutionary pair...and like the song goes "You can't have one without the other!"

Hummus is one of the true delights of the culinary world, made with toasted sesame oil, tasty olive oil, and tahini and served with hot pita, it's TO DIE for.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-25-2005 at 06:29 AM.

 
Old 06-25-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 2,407
Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

Now LEGUMES are bad, jeesh! I just ordered a bunch of soup from Westbrae called "Hearty Milano Minestrone Soup" and it's SOOOO good. I was gonna eat it for my lunch everyday since i'm not big on meat.(usually only one serving a day, sometimes none). And I'll have my whey to add more protein for a snack..that's beside the point but I really thought that beans were good for us. I don't even have flautulence anymore since i'm used to them. I love this soup, it's full of veggies and beans in a great tasting broth. Aren't beans (legumes) a plant, a plant that's is meant for us to eat??? Now i'm REALLY confused, lol.

Last edited by Jess75; 06-25-2005 at 08:33 AM.

 
Old 06-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 2,407
Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
Legumes are well known to cause digestive problems unless properly prepared and even then there are the distress of gas and a growling belly. The phytates in legumes can cause poor absorbtion of minerals. Protease inhibitors can damage the pancreas, haemagglutins can produce various problems and Lathyrogens in Chickpeas can be responsible for Spastic paralysis of the legs, skeletal abnormalities. This (legumes) is not a food we were designed by evolution to eat and so I avoid all legumes. I know of no study that concludes that legumes are "heart healthy" if you do I would like to read it. I am not sure what other benifits they provide but perhaps you could educate me?
I just double checked, I can't give out the website, but dr. Mercola(only one example) says that eating legumes(beans) can cut your risk of a heart attack by 20%! Plus other benefits like lower blood pressure. Check it out and let me know what you think. One thing though, is that legumes affects insulin levels in the diabetic patient.
And yes, they could cause digestive problems, but you have to get used to them by eating little by little. Brocolli is VERY healthy but unfortuanetly, it makes me really ill. Not too mention cabbage and califlower.

Last edited by Jess75; 06-25-2005 at 09:26 AM.

 
Old 06-25-2005, 10:59 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 126
racehorse HB User
Re: Hummus...good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I think legumes present a superb mixture of nutrients that, IF PROPERLY COOKED, give the highest protein content by far in the plant world. I think without legumes, billions would have starved over the course of history because grains simply are not a comparably good source of protein.

Legumes MUST be cooked in some way to make them digestible, thus mankind evolved into creatures that early on learned the advantages of cooking and the clever management of fire.

If one wants to go back in evolutionary roots perhaps beyond Neanderthal, maybe to near apedom he might encounter an early man-like creature without the use of fire. Such a creature wouldn't eat legumes but then he wouldn't eat uncooked rice or raw chickens either. Man and cooking are a VERY natural evolutionary pair...and like the song goes "You can't have one without the other!"

Hummus is one of the true delights of the culinary world, made with toasted sesame oil, tasty olive oil, and tahini and served with hot pita, it's TO DIE for.
Legumes were only consumed in any substantial way after agriculture began. Althought humankind's control of fire may be hundreds of thousands of years there were no vessels to cook things like grains and legumes. Your evolutionary time line is skewed; Neanderthals lived with early true modern humans just a few hundred thousand years ago and only died out some tens of thousands of years ago. The divergence from apes is much further back, with the last common ancestor of chimps and what became humans some 6 MILLION years ago. As to the delights of the culinary world I can only say that is in the taste buds of the beholder, a paleolithic person would not recognize bread or hummas for that matter as food. So here is the basic concept. There has been no evolutionary change in what our bodies have been designed by time to eat. All of the foods that entered the diet because of agriculture are essentially foreign to our gut. The diseases of modern humans can be traced to a diet that is based on those agricultural products. The evidence is clear when you examine the bones of preagricultural people and those that came after. Preagricultual people were much larger, had denser and bigger bones, were more heavily muscled and showed no indications of the diseases that plagued the agriculturists, they also had few or 0 dental caries. Those people that began eating a grain based diet became much smaller and the health problems become much more problematic. You can use your search engine to find much more.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
hummus and a new iddm pw137000 Diet & Nutrition 5 06-24-2009 11:39 AM
Snack substitue..hummus? Kris03 Diet & Nutrition 2 06-04-2008 08:29 AM
Snack substitute? hummus Kris03 Weight Loss 1 06-03-2008 03:50 PM
dairy in hummus??? marzotto Diet & Nutrition 3 12-16-2006 08:18 PM
Is Hummus w/Pita Bread good for you? mr_panicky Diet & Nutrition 8 12-09-2006 01:18 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!