It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
(female)

kyethra HB User
Question Wheat free and or yeast free diet?

I have fibromyalgia and GERD and sinus problems. I am 21 years old, female, and overweight.

Now I have been tested for celiac disease and do not have it. But I do get really bad indigestion when I eat whole wheat bread (I'm ok with white bread) and its been suggested that I try a wheat free diet.

Given my diagnosis of FM/CFS, and the symptoms like chronic fatigue and sinus problems its also been suggested I try a candida diet.

I don't know if I would be able to do either to tell the truth. I love my carbs and I'm kind of addicted to junk food.

If I were to start one, which one is the best to start with? Any ideas?

Old 04-15-2005, 07:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User
Re: Wheat free and or yeast free diet?

Hi there,

Since you have problems with wheat, I would imagine you have subclinical gluten intolerance..Celiac is quite different...Don't go yeast free, go gluten free...Yeast free excludes fruit, you need fruit..Go gluten free for a while and find a doc that test for GI infections or parasites...Search for chiropractors or osteopaths who specialize in functional medicine...By the way if you have any irish, dutch, english, swedish, scandinavian heritage, etc. You're gluten intolerant...Give it a try, my ears have been plugged up for 10 mos and since going gluten free they are clearing...amazing..My depression is lifting and anxiety is calming down also...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
(female)

kyethra HB User

Why would heritage make a difference? (asks the girl with red hair and pale skin)

Old 04-15-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

thomas3000 HB User

Trust me, heritage makes a difference...One of the country's most reputable doctors stresses this...Yeast free can be dangerous in the long run...Excluding gluten will clear any candida issue, unless there is a chronic infection in your GI tract..The gluten free diet is much easier to follow, and lots healthier...CFS and Fibro have been completely reversed by using this approach, give it a go.....Good Luck!! Junk food will kill you!!! Watch supersize me!!!!

Last edited by thomas3000; 04-16-2005 at 04:11 AM.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

you go thomas.. you are so right that this diet is soooo healthy and, soooo interesting..i feel fantastic and, thinking of opening a health food store. yuppers

Old 04-15-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
(female)

kyethra HB User

I went to McDonalads after watching supersize me. It made me hungry.

But thanks for the feed back.

Do I have to cut out all gluten, or can I just cut out wheat?

Old 04-15-2005, 11:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyethra
I went to McDonalads after watching supersize me. It made me hungry.

But thanks for the feed back.

Do I have to cut out all gluten, or can I just cut out wheat?
Kyethra,

Most people need to cut out all forms of gluten in order to see a real improvement in their health. This means wheat, rye and barley, and all secret forms of them -- it would be a good idea to visit some celiac websites to get the full list. You need to learn to read ALL food labels -- I was astonished to learn that soy sauce is half wheat -- I now look for tamari, which is (usually) made only from soy, but I ALWAYS glance at the ingredients label to make sure.

It takes some getting used to, but if you find that removing gluten from your diet makes you feel better, you'll have to decide for yourself whether you want to weigh the benefits of health against the major change in your eating habits. I personally have chosen to learn new cooking methods for the new foods I've discovered, and I make sure to bring foods with me when I'm not sure I will have a gluten-free selection available. But my friends understand (in theory if not in practice) and try to accomodate my "dietary restrictions" as best they can, and when it looks like they really want to make pizza or something for the guests, then I bring my own pizza crust or bread or whatever and we make a separate dish for me using the other ingredients. So basically what I'm saying is that the hassle-factor has to be weighed against the health-factor, and only you can decide what you want to do. My friends haven't been avoiding me since I started eating gluten-free -- so THAT concern never materialized!

Read some of the other posts on eating gluten-free, including in the Nutritional Disorders Forum, and you can find entire websites devoted to information about celiac disease.

As for heritage (I also am red haired -- or was before my hair turned grey! -- with pale skin), it appears that gluten intolerance is more common in some genetic lines than in others. It's definitely recognized in Ireland, and the Italians have officially recognized that it's common enough that they have a law that says that all children are to be screened before they enter school.

And Losec, too bad I live in Germany, or I'd visit that health food store that you're planning on opening !

--Rheanna

Old 06-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

I am a celiac and have done quite a lot of research on gluten. Gluten can be problematic for nearly half the population although most are sub-clinical in their response. I know a well known nutritional author that has a private practice and her opening gambit with new clients is a 2 week gluten free diet. More than half of her clients show improved well being (mood, intestinal, bowel, skin etc.). You must be careful to be fully compliant which means education about hidden gluten (celiac sites are valuable here). Celiac and gluten intolerance are probably the most underdiagnosed ailments in todays population. While gluten grains are usually the most problematic I would suggest trying a grain free diet for a month and then test rice and corn with a challenge to see their effect. I personally can tolerate neither one.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
I am a celiac and have done quite a lot of research on gluten. Gluten can be problematic for nearly half the population although most are sub-clinical in their response. I know a well known nutritional author that has a private practice and her opening gambit with new clients is a 2 week gluten free diet. More than half of her clients show improved well being (mood, intestinal, bowel, skin etc.). You must be careful to be fully compliant which means education about hidden gluten (celiac sites are valuable here). Celiac and gluten intolerance are probably the most underdiagnosed ailments in todays population. While gluten grains are usually the most problematic I would suggest trying a grain free diet for a month and then test rice and corn with a challenge to see their effect. I personally can tolerate neither one.
You can't tolorate rice OR corn?
And, can you give me the name of the doc who did these tests?
Thanks

Old 07-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #10
(female)

cdaus HB User

Wheat free and yeast free diet? Good luck. They stick wheat and yeast in just about everything you eat because "it's good for you". What's good for some can make someone else very sick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyethra
I have fibromyalgia and GERD and sinus problems. I am 21 years old, female, and overweight.

Now I have been tested for celiac disease and do not have it. But I do get really bad indigestion when I eat whole wheat bread (I'm ok with white bread) and its been suggested that I try a wheat free diet.

Given my diagnosis of FM/CFS, and the symptoms like chronic fatigue and sinus problems its also been suggested I try a candida diet.

I don't know if I would be able to do either to tell the truth. I love my carbs and I'm kind of addicted to junk food.

If I were to start one, which one is the best to start with? Any ideas?

Closed Thread