It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
(female)

sunrise29 HB User
Maintain weight

Hi, I am a 17 year old girl, 5'5 115 lbs. I have recently lost about 20 lbs since December. I averaged 1500-1600 calories a day, but would like to up my calorie intake to 1700 while not gaining or losing any weight. I am pretty active, with twice weekly strength training, and one or two other cardio days here and there ( elliptical or walking). Can I maintain this weight by eating 1700 calories and not gaining any weight? Or should I excercise more and eat 1700 a day? Thanks.

* Posted also in General Health

Old 04-16-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
(female)

cka2525 HB User
Re: Maintain weight

Hey,
Yah you can up your calories to 1,700. First off, congrats on getting down to 115, I bet you look great. If your still unsure about the calorie thing, next week, eat 1,600. Then weigh yourself. If you lost weight, then bump it up to 1,700. If you stayed the same, then thats probally your caloric intake to maintain weight, and if you gained weight, (which you prob didn't), then you should decrease caloric intake. Now, you probally lost a bit of weight still, so up your calories to 1,700 for a week. And do the same test, if you lost, then up it to 1,800. You keep on doing that untill you truely stay the same weight each week. Once you get to your true calorie number, your all set. Somedays you might eat less, some days you might eat more. Thats healthy too! Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

You should have no problem maintaining your weight with 1700-2000 calories if you are active daily. You will really have to find your "sweet spot" with the calorie intake to know how many calories your body requires... but according to my calculations, 1700-1800 is right on for maintenance with about 30-60 minutes of moderate activity per day.

Remember also, that your body burns various types of foods differently. It will be more difficult to maintain your weight if you eat 1700 calories of junk food, high fat, refined carbs (white flour and sugar) etc, than if you eat 1700 calories of healthy foods including whole grains, veggies, fruit, and high quality proteins.

Also keep in mind that how often you eat throughout the day will effect your ability to maintain your weight... for example if you only eat 2 meals per day with no snacks you will likely struggle, compared to if you eat 3-5 smaller meaks and snack often, which is a much more efficient use of calories.

In summary, aim to strengthen your metabolism by eating balanced, healthy meals throughout the day and you should have no problems at all.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

so, if the odd days if say i eat chinese food, or go out for supper and pig out bad?? like maybe 1nce every 2 weeks or so?

Old 04-16-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
(female)

sunrise29 HB User

Thanks, those two posts were very informative. I will eat 1700 for a while, and gradually increase my intake. I just do NOT want to gain any weight at all, and sometimes it is hard when I wake up in the morning, the scale says 114, then when I go to bed it says 117. So I should be fine If i just aim to get some excercise every day? There is this trail that is a loop near me, which takes about an hour to walk, even if I walk that I should be fine?

Old 04-16-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

It is completely NORMAL to weigh 3-5 lbs more in the evening than you do in the morning. You should choose a time in the day to weigh yourself and stick with it - don't weigh yourself more than once per day!

As a point of reference - 1 gallon of water weighs 8 lbs. Think about the foods and fluids that you put into your body each day and on top of that there are internally produced fluids that will increase your weight.

I recommend that you weigh yourself completey naked after your first morning pee and bowel, before you eat any food.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
(female)

sunrise29 HB User

Thanks, you are very helpful. That's a relief about the 3-5 lbs thing. So you are suggesting I keep increasing my calorie intake until I find the best fit? I am just terrified of gaining weight because I have worked so hard to lose the 20 pounds and I am more confident then I was before.

Old 04-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
(female)

sunrise29 HB User

So I can ultimately go up to 2000 calories maintaining a weight of 115? I am just terrified to go over my usual 1700, but I would like to eat more. I checked the scale this morning, it said 114.5, that means I have not lost or gained a pound, then I checked maybe 2 hrs later, after working out and it said 116. Sorry if I am being annoying, I can't help it, lol

Old 04-17-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise29
So I can ultimately go up to 2000 calories maintaining a weight of 115? I am just terrified to go over my usual 1700, but I would like to eat more. I checked the scale this morning, it said 114.5, that means I have not lost or gained a pound, then I checked maybe 2 hrs later, after working out and it said 116. Sorry if I am being annoying, I can't help it, lol
DON"T weigh yourself after working out! Very decieving. Only weigh yourself once per morning as I described in an earlier post.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

not even that! maybe once every few days or once a week!

Old 04-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #11
(female)

sunrise29 HB User

I know.. I am just SO paranoid that I am gaining weight. I'll be fine one hour, but then the next I am touching my thighs, convinced they are bigger than they were the last hour.

Closed Thread