It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

Goya123 HB User
Ratios? Several questions...

I'm trying to adopt a ratio for my diet, but am having some difficulty. The one that sounds good to me is 55:30:15 (carbs: protein:fat). But how do you do it? Is each meal supposed to fit the ratio or is it only the entire day's intake that should fit? I'm also finding it hard to get enough protein without overdoing fat unless I have some lean meat--which would get a bit tiresome if needed for every meal.

I'm not really trying to lose weight, just trying to keep my body fat to a minimum and increase muscle.

Which reminds me...

When/what should I eat after a workout to help build muscle? Are protein shakes the way to go? Do you have any suggestions for recipes or brands?

Thanks!

Last edited by Goya123; 04-16-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
(female)

AmandaH HB User
Re: Ratios? Several questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goya123
I'm trying to adopt a ratio for my diet, but am having some difficulty. The one that sounds good to me is 55:30:15 (carbs: protein:fat). But how do you do it? Is each meal supposed to fit the ratio or is it only the entire day's intake that should fit?
I think the closer you can get to that ratio at each meal, the better. However, it is almost impossible to do so all of the time, so, as long as it adds up at the end of the day you will be fine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

It would depend on how you get the 55% carbs. If those are low glycemic non starchy veg and no simple sugars/breads then you might be ok. I think most 55% carb diets are a recipe for gaining weight. Shrink the carbs, up the good fats (natural fats in meats, coconut, even butter and maybe a little x virgin olive oil) eliminate the veg. oils and no simple sugars and make high quality protein a part of every meal. Good luck

Old 06-24-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
(female)

tdot HB User

The recommended ratio for a healthy diet is Carb/Protein/Fat is 55:15:30 with saturated fat being less than 10% of kcal per day.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot
The recommended ratio for a healthy diet is Carb/Protein/Fat is 55:15:30 with saturated fat being less than 10% of kcal per day.
This looks like a vegetarian/vegan recommendation or maybe those learned keepers of the lowfat = good health regimen that has made America the most obese population ever.

Old 06-25-2005, 05:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think that GOYA'S 55-30-15 is a good recipe for a healthy diet. Getting everything balanced at every meal is a good idea to sell diet books but totally unnecessary and impossibly tedious in the real world. Something that balances out over the course of a day or a week would please ME very much.

Unfortunately, try though I may (God KNOWS) I cannot get my fats that low. I LOVE meat and cheese and thus anything lower than a 30% fat intake I judge a HUGE SUCCESS and pat myself on the back.

Make your own low fat protein shake with the cheapest brand of protein powder, blended with skim milk, pure cocoa, and vanilla extract with ice cubes and xanthan gum for thickening...an egg if you're not afraid to eat one raw (never made me sick.) A packet of diet sweetner rounds out the lovely flavor (cocoa is bitter)
A WHOPPING pile of low fat protein...without the egg it's almost NON-FAT! It's low glycemic as well with the only sugars coming as lactose in the skim milk.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-25-2005 at 05:10 AM.

Old 06-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

I think this idea of reduced fat is the reason people are fat. Carbs lay on the fat. Good (natural) fats provide saitey, allow vitamin absorbtion and provide (along with protein) the building blocks for good cellular health. Think about this, there are: essential fatty acids, essential amino acids but there are NO essential carbohydrates. A 100% animal diet can be healthy that is all protein and fat the same cannot be said for a carbohydrate diet.

Closed Thread