It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Quorn and tofu?

Hi
Im just wondering about using quorn or tofu. Im trying to eat healthier, Im eating a lot of chicken and fish, and wondering whether quorn or tofu are good for you, and what they are made of? And do I just cook them in the same way as chicken?

Old 04-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: Quorn and tofu?

Tofu is made out of soybeans and is very high in protein. It doesn't really taste of anything so usually requires some sort of sauce.

You can get varieties of tofu according to the texture and water content. The soft tofu has more water and is more loose - making it good for sauces whereas the extra firm has less water and is better for stir fries. You can also get silken which has a custard like feel which you can blend with vanilla and some melted chocolate to make a high protein chocolate pudding. You can also freeze tofu and then when you thaw it is has a much spongier texture. To cook you can either fry in a little oil if you're making a stir fry or if you're serving it with a tasty sauce, you can just add it to the sauce and warm it up that way. It doesn't really require 'cooking'.

For the most part you have to try to get rid of as much water as possible. you can do this by wrapping it in a paper towel and leaving it for a few minutes. By removing excess water you avoid dilluting the sauce that you serve it with. It soaks up liquid very well so its great to soak it in your favorite marinade. I posted a tofu recipe on a thread on this board about sharing recipes - you should check it out.

Another tofu related food is Yuba - its great!! Its the skin that forms on the top of the barrell when they make the tofu and it has a nice smooth, silky texture and is even higher in protein than tofu. You can buy it in Chinatown for about $3 for 4 huge circles and then when you want to use it, you boil a 1/2 cup of broth and cut strips or pieces into it and its cooked in 1 minute. You can eat it with veggies or rice or whatever. I sometimes eat it for breakfast with some seaweed or I cut it into strips as a 'pasta' substitute. My Japanese friend said she eats it by just boiling it in a little water and then by dipping it in soy sauce.

The only problem with soy is that, like wheat or corn, we overuse it. When a certain ingrediant becomes prevalent in almost every food it is likely to become an allergen.

Last edited by veggie girl; 04-17-2005 at 09:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 10:46 PM   #3

llamamuffinmama HB User

tofu is a complete protein and can be used in a squillion different ways. when a lot of people say they "don't like tofu", they've probably only had it straight from the package, unseasoned. but it's very versatile and can make for some amazing eats!

i also like yuba.

and then there's tempeh, which is also a soyfood, like tofu, but is less processed and is made with whole soybeans. there are tempeh burgers, tempeh bacon, and regular tempeh which many different things can be made with.

seitan, or wheat gluten, is a very meaty vegetarian food which is also very high in protein, and low in fat and calories. you can buy it in health food stores and some mainstream grocery stores. use as you would chicken strips to make fajitas, burritos, etc.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I love tofu (curded and aged soy flour) cold and plain sliced with a couple squirts of Szechuan sauce, sesame oil, and soy sauce. I think it is the ideal lunch and as easy to prepare as opening a can of tunal!

I have no experience with quorn (Isn't that what you need in Congress to take a vote???

Old 04-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

Hey thanks for all the replies. Sounds like Tofu is easy, quick and you can do lots with it. Im going to have a go with it. Ive not heard of some of these other food that you mention but Im going to have a look for them. As far as I can tell variety is the key so here goes!
Ill let you know of my successes!
Cheers
Tesss

Old 04-19-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I love tofu (curded and aged soy flour) cold and plain sliced with a couple squirts of Szechuan sauce, sesame oil, and soy sauce. I think it is the ideal lunch and as easy to prepare as opening a can of tunal!

I have no experience with quorn (Isn't that what you need in Congress to take a vote???

Quorn the brand name of an English company that makes meat substitutes products that sell mainly in Europe but also in the US (though I've never actually seen then here)

They're actually REALLY good and have an excellent broad range of products - cold cuts, burgers, sausages, mince, ribs etc. You can find them in regular supermarkets in the UK not just in health food stores like here in the US

Last edited by veggie girl; 04-19-2005 at 03:04 PM.

Closed Thread