It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

bodysong HB User
lack of fruit and veg

Hi,
I've always been a fussy eater and not liked many fruit or vegetables. I only have two different veg (eg. potato and brocolli) a day at the most usually and don't eat a big quantity. I sometimes go for days without eating any fruit at all I take vitamins and try eating a little bit of salad occasionally but I'm not keen on the taste.

Vegetables I do like are: potato, sweetcorn
Fruit: apple, bannana

I want to have a healthier diet but not sure how to go about it. I often run out of ideas when buying meals as there's so many foods I don't like. Any advice or info about eating healthily, alternative snacks etc. would be appreciated.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User
Re: lack of fruit and veg

have a look at all the different fruits and veg on offer, some you might not even have heard the name of! my advice is just try as many different things as you can, even if you dont like them. chances are you'll come accross something you like. how about seedless grapes? everyone loves those! or mangoes and lychees. your body'll thank you for trying differnt foods, and who knows you might find something you like

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 02:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

When I was young, my parents were always looking for ways to get my sister and me to eat our veggies, and the method that worked the best was disguise! My mother would cook up some frozen mixed veggies, and there would always be lots left over because we couldn't stand the lima beans. So the next night we would have meatloaf with the last night's veggies mixed in, and lots of ketchup on top. We loved it!

My suggestion would be to put a few veggies into saucy things, including spaghetti sauce, stir fries, soups, etc. Start out with just a little, but try to make it consistent. Even grating a carrot into soup or spaghetti sauce counts as a veggie. Start out slow, trying out different things to see which ones you either like or at least don't mind. The tomato paste in spaghetti sauce counts as a veggie. Throw a little bit of lentils into a soup.

I'm not particularly enchanted by salads, just like you. My husband loves them. When I do make them, I try to put a variety of veggies in, like grated carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, cucumber. The sweetness of corn would make all the rest taste better, in my opinion. The important thing is that you find some things that you don't mind eating, and you might surprise yourself by finding a few that you actually like.

As an adult, I sneak lots of veggies into my meals, and dutifully steam brocolli or green beans to serve on the side. The veggies are, to tell the truth, not my favorite parts of the meal, but I've been doing it so long (especially the hidden veggies) that I'm used to it, and I eat the steamed veggies first and then enjoy the hidden veggies with the more flavorful things.

And as for fruit, I put a banana into my cereal in the morning, and forget other fruits the rest of the day. The nutritional guidelines are a goal, but if you're trying SOMETHING in the fruit and veg direction, then you're doing good. Start out slow and see what works for you.

--Rheanna

Old 04-21-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna
the method that worked the best was disguise!
--Rheanna
Rheanna is SO right!!

Try every culinary technique to hide the fact that there are veggies such as sauteeing onions, garlic and carrots til tender then adding some broth and some cauliflower. When the cauliflower is tender blend the whole thing so that you have a delicious creamy soup. Or, cut some veggies really small and add it to a few wisked eggs for a delcious frittatta.

I do the same as Rheanna, just trying adding some veg, any veg with each meal just to get the servings in there.

Do you like brussels sprouts? If not, maybe cook and while they're cooking grab a handful of walnuts, pour a little honey over them and roast them in the oven. When the brussels sprouts are just tender, shred them finely and mix in the nuts. Add a little salt and pepper.

Do you like sandwiches? Well, slice a zuccini, eggplant, and red pepper and brush with oil and broil until tender and slighly browned (make sure to skin the 'cooked' red pepper before using). Meanwhile chop some tomatoes and add a little oil and vinegar and maybe a tiny bit of finely chopped onion. Oh, put a few garlic cloves in the over while you're broiling. Once everything is done, spread the garlic on the crusty bread (and some hummus if you have any) stack on the veggies with a little salt and pepper and top with the tomato mix. This Italian style sandwich is delicious and it doesn't taste like you're eating veggies - way too decadant!!

Bodysong, Q: Is it the texture of veggies you don't like or is it the taste??

Last edited by veggie girl; 04-21-2005 at 09:08 AM.

Old 04-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
(female)

bodysong HB User

Thank you for all the ideas. I'll definitely try some of those. Made me realise there's still a lot of fruit and veg I haven't even tried yet.

My main problem is usally with texture rather than the actual flavours of food. Though with vegetables, it's a bit of both.

Old 04-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Dont you like stawberries? everybody loves them...fruit to me is just delicious. I love grapefruits, well any fruit really except for pears. Really, you should try eating them they are delicious....maybe you just have to get used to them?

Old 04-23-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodysong
My main problem is usally with texture rather than the actual flavours of food. Though with vegetables, it's a bit of both.
My ex was like that - he was okay with taste, but the way the veg was cut made a difference. If something had onions, peppers etc it HAD to be cut really small - if there were chunks he wouldn't eat it. He also wouldn't eat mushrooms coz he said they were slimey but once I made soemthing with mushrooms but cut them up really small and then he ate it (though, after I told him it had mushroom in it he wouldn't eat any more - just the thought of it grossed him out!! haha)

I guess try shredding, grating, finely chopping or pureeing veggies so you get the nutritents without the texture.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

yep, good idea to cut them up small, also maybe you caould buy a juicing machine. i've never tried one, but supposedly they're great because you're extracting all the goodness, and if you mix vegetabels and fruit you can make some very tasty drinks so i've heard.
however, you might be lacking fibre in your diet of you do it this way..

Old 05-08-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
(female)

HealthyMommy HB User

Bodysong:

Try finding a whole food supplement (NOT A VITAMIN) but a product that has whole food meaning how they make the product still gives you the same nutrition as eating the whole raw food. There are several on the market - JuicePlus is one that I know of. vitamins are fragmented products that do not give you the wide variety of nutrients, enzymes and phytochemicals that only whole food nutrition can offer. Having them in a supplement like this is the easiest way, not to mention you don't have to "cook" or "eat" them - Good luck!

Old 05-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I don't like vegetables either. I bought the stuff from "Garden of Life" called Perfect Food. It's a green powdery supplement claiming to be equal to 5-10 serving of veggies a day. It has brocolli, spiulina, and all kinds of greens in it. In addition to that, I try to drink tomatoe/veggie juice and snack on brocolli and carrots from time to time.

Closed Thread