It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User
Dehydrate Fruit W/out Dehydrator

Hello

I am looking for a way to make dried fruit snacks without having to use a dehydrator machine. From readings I have done, I understand that brushing the fruit with lemon before dehydration will reduce the chances of it turning brown in the process. Is there any way that I can dehydrate fruit in the oven? Maybe using a special type of bakeware?

Thanks!

~Colleen

Old 04-19-2005, 05:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Dehydrate Fruit W/out Dehydrator

Probably a low temperature oven (maybe 130 degrees) on a dry day. Don't use a gas oven because burning gas is moist. Electric would work best. Maybe even a toaster oven wouuld do it. Probably a CONVECTION OVEN would be perfect.

Try out one piece of fruit first to get your timing right. You also DON'T want the temperature so high as to COOK the fruit!

Last edited by Lenin; 04-19-2005 at 05:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
(female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

Why not just go out a buy a dehydrater? They are under $50 and include a great book that tells you how long things take to dehydrate and how big to cut your slices (depending on the food) etc. I used to use mine all the time, I need to start using it again

Old 04-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musical_Muse
Hello

I am looking for a way to make dried fruit snacks without having to use a dehydrator machine. From readings I have done, I understand that brushing the fruit with lemon before dehydration will reduce the chances of it turning brown in the process. Is there any way that I can dehydrate fruit in the oven? Maybe using a special type of bakeware?

Thanks!

~Colleen
I think the key to drying is to make sure that air gets to all sides of the food. So something with lots of holes, preferably a screen or a rack if the pieces are big enough. And I would imagine that the oven door would need to be cracked open a bit to allow the moisture to escape.

--Rheanna

Old 04-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Hi, everyone

Thanks for all the wonderful responses . I would really like to make my own dried fruit. Unfortunately, I have only a gas oven to work with at my apartment right now, so this may be a problem. Maybe if I keep the oven door ajar during the process, as one poster suggested, it will reduce the moisture that is common with gas ovens?

I'm also curious: are there any dried fruits that are made without a lot of processed sugar layered on top? Many of the dried fruit products that I have seen have a lot of processed sugar.

~Colleen

Old 04-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330exGirlOrl
Why not just go out a buy a dehydrater? They are under $50 and include a great book that tells you how long things take to dehydrate and how big to cut your slices (depending on the food) etc. I used to use mine all the time, I need to start using it again

Where did you find one under $50??? I can't find one under $200!!

I too would LOVE to make dried fruit - as well as veggie chips instead of potato chips. I actually make lots of raw desserts but can never do the final step of drying them.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musical_Muse
Hi, everyone

Thanks for all the wonderful responses . I would really like to make my own dried fruit. Unfortunately, I have only a gas oven to work with at my apartment right now, so this may be a problem. Maybe if I keep the oven door ajar during the process, as one poster suggested, it will reduce the moisture that is common with gas ovens?

I'm also curious: are there any dried fruits that are made without a lot of processed sugar layered on top? Many of the dried fruit products that I have seen have a lot of processed sugar.

~Colleen
Colleen,

I've been looking up info on the net about drying fruit at home. You CAN do it in the oven without a home dehydrator, but it's of course more expensive to have the oven on for hours with the door propped open.

The temperature that I've seen on several sites is 140F (60C). The door to an electric oven needs to be open only 1 inch, but a gas oven door needs to be open at least 8 inches (20 cm) to let the moisture out.

You don't need to add sugar. A dip of 1/2 lemon juice and 1/2 water will keep some fruits like apples from darkening, but also isn't necessary. I wouldn't use sulfer at all, due to allergic reactions, and one website says not to use sulfer in an oven anyway.

Allow air circulation room around the sides of trays in the oven. Lay fruit out on trays, and shift fruit every 1-2 hours from outer edges to center areas of trays as the fruit on the outside starts drying.

It sounds like fun! I dried fruit in a dehydrator years ago, and was intrigued at the results. Raspberries dried to paper-thin hulls, but retained lots of flavor -- great in cereals and on ice cream! Blackberries dried to sticky raisin consistency, and had much less flavor than they did when fresh. Berry season is short here in northern Germany, and I'm inspired to try my hand at dehydrating again. Thanks for the suggestion!

--Rheanna

Old 04-20-2005, 06:44 AM   #8
(female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
Where did you find one under $50??? I can't find one under $200!!

I too would LOVE to make dried fruit - as well as veggie chips instead of potato chips. I actually make lots of raw desserts but can never do the final step of drying them.

I cant remember where I found mine (it was 5 yrs ago at least). But I did just do a few internet searches to help you out. I found one at Wal-Mart for $40. I also found one at Sears for $35.

Closed Thread