It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Peanut buttery...

Hi all- I've been trying not to post as much because I realized I was getting a little carried away with asking questions about my food. I'm trying to be more ok with what I eat and not freak out about every morsel that enters my mouth.
But anyway, I was wondering if you could tell me if this is an o.k. bfst and lunch...or if it is too "peanut-buttery":

Banana
Medium latte with skim milk

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich (2 pieces wheat bread, maybe about 2 tbsp peanut butter or more)
Large apple with 2 slices dipped in a little bit extra peanut butter
Baby carrots

I totalled it to be between 900 and 1000 calories - does that sound about right?

Old 04-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: Peanut buttery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
Hi all- I've been trying not to post as much because I realized I was getting a little carried away with asking questions about my food. I'm trying to be more ok with what I eat and not freak out about every morsel that enters my mouth.
But anyway, I was wondering if you could tell me if this is an o.k. bfst and lunch...or if it is too "peanut-buttery":

Banana
Medium latte with skim milk

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich (2 pieces wheat bread, maybe about 2 tbsp peanut butter or more)
Large apple with 2 slices dipped in a little bit extra peanut butter
Baby carrots

I totalled it to be between 900 and 1000 calories - does that sound about right?
Wheres the fruit, veggies and protein???!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

For dinner I had tofu stir fried with veggies (cauliflower, peas, bean sprouts, broccoli, mushrooms) and then an orange after that.
The protein was in the peanut butter and the tofu. The fruits and veggies? Stir fried veggies, banana, apple, orange...isn't that plenty?
I also had a few hard candies (5) after dinner...

Old 04-21-2005, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
For dinner I had tofu stir fried with veggies (cauliflower, peas, bean sprouts, broccoli, mushrooms) and then an orange after that.
The protein was in the peanut butter and the tofu. The fruits and veggies? Stir fried veggies, banana, apple, orange...isn't that plenty?
I also had a few hard candies (5) after dinner...
Thats great!! Though, I'm not sure that peanut butter is the best way to get your protein - so high in bad fats (unless you make your own butter!!). Do you eat lots of beans or fish for a variety in protein?

Old 04-21-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

I don't think it's too PB'y, but it does look like a rather large breakfast. Here's the calorie count I got.....
2 Tbs. PB - 200
med. banana - 94
skim milk latte - 160
jelly - 40
2 WW bread slices - 244
apple with skin - 74
1 c. carrots - 52
Total - 864......Hope you're not trying to loose weight or super is small, unless you're trying to gain weight, then you're ok. You've got the major food groups covered....Protein is in the PB and milk, calcium in the milk, potassium in the banana, fiber in the apple and carrots, starch in the bread......Yep, it's all there.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Magpiezoe - that wasn't just breakfast that was breakfast AND lunch. Is that better? Haha. But actually, I AM trying to gain a little bit of weight ( I guess).

And Veggiegirl - I don't get my protein from peanut butter on a regular basis. I just mentioned that it has a lot of protein because that was the main source in my lunch. Peanut butter is actually not high in bad fats - it is high in GOOD fats. I eat the whole foods peanut butter, not skippy or some processed brand. I eat a lot of vegetables, chicken, and fish when I can.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Oops, sorry. That is much better. There is a peanut butter diet and it was in the news, so I really do not think it's as bad as people think.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:28 AM   #8
(male)

thebluedog HB User
Thumbs up Re: Peanut buttery...

Peanut butter is very good for you. I eat it every day, natural peanut butter.

Here's a link to the "Peanut Butter Diet" that was featured in Prevention.

[url]www.peanut-institute.org/images/prevention_pb_diet.pdf[/url]

(just copy and paste, the hyperlink doesn't seem to work)

Last edited by thebluedog; 04-23-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:15 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Have you ever tried almond butter? Cashew butter? Macadamia nut butter? I'm very curious about those....

Old 04-23-2005, 01:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I've tried almond butter as an alternative because PB sometimes gives me pimples. I personally find it drier tasting than PB (you know when you eat PB and need a drink because your mouth is dry? Its like that, but more so) but generally the SAME taste. Sometimes it can be way more expensive and harder to find though.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Oh yeah - I definitely know that feeling of eating too much PB and needing a drink - haha.
I'd like to try cashew butter b/c I LOVE cashews and I can picture cashew butter being very creamy and tasty. The thing is, I just love peanut butter so much that I don't want to venture away from it!!
Have you ever tried dipping a spoonful of peanut butter in M&Ms or chocolate chips? It is AMAZING!!!!

Old 05-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #12
(female)

AGemini HB User

You are allowed 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter every day if you want.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:24 AM   #13
(male)

Pilky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirl11
I've tried almond butter as an alternative because PB sometimes gives me pimples. I personally find it drier tasting than PB (you know when you eat PB and need a drink because your mouth is dry? Its like that, but more so) but generally the SAME taste. Sometimes it can be way more expensive and harder to find though.
Are you eating natural peanut butter? That shouldnt give you pimples cause i am prone to them myself. I eat alot of natural peanut butter and it doesnt not cause me to break out. The ingredient list should just say : peanuts and or salt.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:08 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I am eating whole foods peanut butter and it just has peanuts, salt, and oil i think...

Closed Thread