HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Graham Cracker? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/276460-graham-cracker.html)

LS289 04-21-2005 08:08 AM

Graham Cracker?

- is it ok to eat breakfast in the morning even if you are not hungry? I ALWAYS eat breakfast (usually 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 1 cup cereal, and either a banana or an apple cut up), but sometimes I am not hungry at all. Should I still eat it or wait until I get hungry?

rheanna 04-21-2005 09:01 AM

Re: Graham Cracker?

[QUOTE=LS289]- is it ok to eat breakfast in the morning even if you are not hungry? I ALWAYS eat breakfast (usually 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese, 1 cup cereal, and either a banana or an apple cut up), but sometimes I am not hungry at all. Should I still eat it or wait until I get hungry?[/QUOTE]

Everyone has their own opinion, and you'll have to decide what's right for you. My feeling is that eating regular meals keeps the blood sugar stable. Skipping meals can leave many of us extra hungry when we finally DO eat, leading to eating too many calories in one sitting. On the other hand, some people say that eating when we're not hungry means that we're not listening to our body's signals.

Of course there are people, like my husband, who can't eat early in the morning. He eats his bag lunch starting at around 11:00 at work, eats dinner around 7 or 8 pm, and then eats a snack late at night before he goes to bed. This makes it perfect on the weekends when he sleeps a little later -- he really IS "breaking his fast" not long after he gets up!

My suggestion is to consider how hungry you are at lunch when you skip breakfast. Do you have the opportunity to eat when you first start to feel those hunger pangs? Or must you wait for a specific time for your lunch break? Some people do fine on 2 meals a day, but I need at least 3 to keep my blood sugar stable. And your description of breakfast sounds very similar to mine.

--Rheanna

Magpiezoe 04-21-2005 01:19 PM

No you should not skip breakfast. It will mess up your metabolism. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gets you going. :nono:

dreeeemer 04-21-2005 03:08 PM

Rheanna,

I think your answer to the question was spot on. I appologize if I sound harsh, but simply saying "it will mess up your metabolism" seems to be the quick and dirty answer to everything on this board. I think you are right, some people's bodies are programmed to eat later, as long as you arent skipping and then stuffing yourself with 5 slices of pizza at lunch, then go ahead. Maybe eat "breakfast" food for lunch and slide everything down a few hours.

AmandaH 04-21-2005 04:19 PM

I agree with rheanna and dreeeemer. Although I do eat breakfast every morning within 1 hour of waking, my husband doesn't. He gets sick if he eats in the first few hours after waking. He seems to do just fine by moving his meals back a few hours and he doesn't overdo it - ever.

Hitmen 04-22-2005 07:26 PM

I think it's important to eat as close to waking up as possible. The reason being your body has been in a catabolic state overnight and needs food to get the metabolism going again.

cka2525 04-22-2005 07:38 PM

That is a good question. Yes you should eat. When you wake up, your not that hungry because you've been laying down for a long time, and you stomach has setteld. You dont haveto eat as SOON AS YOU get up. Wait a half and hour and mabye you'll get hungry, THEN it. Maybe your eating too close to bed time at night to not be hungry the next morning, or eating too much. But you shold eat breakfast!

justanothagirl 04-23-2005 07:01 AM

Yeah it's definitely important! Nobody (well hardly anybody) is hungry in the mornings. But eating then wakes you up, supplies your body with nutrients after around 12 hours of no food at all! And boosts your metabolism for the day. Definitely. There's no way around it. 'It will mess up your metabolism' may be a simple answer. But the person who said this was damn right.