It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

stephanieb HB User
Unhappy Atkins...

I have started Atkins a little over a year ago, I've lost a total of 50 pounds and 3 1/2 pant sizes. I exercise usually 5 or 6 times a week for at least 40 min. I have been feeling really good up until recently. I think I may not be getting enough of something in my system, I only want to lose about 5 more pounds and am having a hard time since i already lost so much. Recently tho, everytime i exercise, all my bones crack alot, my hips, shoulders, ankles, back, its like everytime i move, my bones crack and I'm not sure why. Also this past week or 2, Ive been getting very bad stomach aches and feeling nauseas. Does anyone have any suggestions to what is wrong?..am I exercising too much?..should i eat more carbs?..i just dont feel very healthy lately. Id appreciate any feedback if anyone has any ideas of what it could be!

Thanks!

Stephanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: Atkins...

I don't know why you're feeling like you do coz i have no medical training, but the fact that you're eating so few carbs and exercising just doesn't seem right. Couldn't you incorporate just a few good carbs after you've worked out? Like some oatmeal, or a boiled egg and a piece of toast or some fruit?

I work out a lot and it makes me weak just THINKING about cutting out carbs completely while exercising.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieb
I have started Atkins a little over a year ago, I've lost a total of 50 pounds and 3 1/2 pant sizes. I exercise usually 5 or 6 times a week for at least 40 min. I have been feeling really good up until recently. I think I may not be getting enough of something in my system, I only want to lose about 5 more pounds and am having a hard time since i already lost so much. Recently tho, everytime i exercise, all my bones crack alot, my hips, shoulders, ankles, back, its like everytime i move, my bones crack and I'm not sure why. Also this past week or 2, Ive been getting very bad stomach aches and feeling nauseas. Does anyone have any suggestions to what is wrong?..am I exercising too much?..should i eat more carbs?..i just dont feel very healthy lately. Id appreciate any feedback if anyone has any ideas of what it could be!

Thanks!

Stephanie
Are you getting enough of the right kinds of fats? You need them to cushion your joints, metabolize fat, and absorb nutrients. Carbs are also necessary for the uptake of certain nutrients into the system.

Diets high in animal protein can put a lot of undue stress on the kidneys and gallbladder, especially if you are burning ketones (which everyone does when they are losing weight, not just those on Atkins).

I'm sure you know that not all carbs are bad. Stay away from bread and start incorporating some whole grains and legumes into your diet: dry beans, brown rice (not instant or parboiled), oats are excellent (not instant), "other" grains such as quinoa, aramanth, and barley. These things are all high in fiber and a good source of protein in most cases. When consumed, especially with vegetables, it is hard to eat too many calories (unless you are adding butter or other condiments) because the fiber will fill you up and keep your appetite satiated.

Carbs do hold a certain amount of water in your digestive system (think about what fiber does), which is why people see very quick weight losses when beginning a low-carb regimen.

Be sure to drink a lot of quality water (your kidneys will thank you) to keep you body "flushed" out and so as not to retain the water. Also, it's OK to include fruit into your diet as well

Old 04-22-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieb
... I only want to lose about 5 more pounds and am having a hard time since i already lost so much. ...
Thanks!

Stephanie
It is always most difficult to lose those last few pounds. IMHO, you should make some healthy additions to your diet (good carbs), and that can make all of the difference.

You may have hit a plateau in your weight loss, if you are not already lifting weights you should do so, this will assist with losing more fat (though through gaining some muscle you may not see the scale move). Just be sure that whenever you reach your goal weight/BMI you are not going to have to go to ridiculous lengths to maintain it

Closed Thread