It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 06:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
Celery.......how do you eat it?

I don't like it. It's way too bitter and it kind of makes me nauseous and it's gross. But I eat it when I'm hungry cos it's negative calorie. Anyway, how do you make it taste good?

Old 04-23-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
(female)

AmandaH HB User
Re: Celery.......how do you eat it?

Well, first of all, if I don't like something, I don't eat it. There is no reason not to enjoy your food. On the other hand, if you want to eat celery, maybe try it with some peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese. But once you add something as high calorie as those it kind of negates the whole negative-calorie idea. Try snacking on some carrots or other raw veggies that you might like. Good luck!

Last edited by AmandaH; 04-23-2005 at 07:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I like celery with cheez whiz and raisins (or without raisins is good too). You could also dip it into salad dressings or blue cheese dips, etc. But like AmandaH says, if you don't like it, don't eat it. Negative calories are still a huge issue to be debated and they may or may not exist. You're better off eating veggies or fruits you actually like, and drinking lots of water!

Old 04-23-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Couldn't you make some fresh hummus and dip the celery in it?

Old 04-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

There are tons of ways to eat celery, but honestly, why eat it if you don't like it? The whole "negative calorie" idea is untrue. Eat other low-cal veggies that you actually LIKE - carrots? jicama? bell peppers?
Celery is really good with peanut butter and raisins on it (ants on a log), but then it kinds of defeats the purpose of just eating celery, doesn't it? Haha. Don't get me wrong, this is still very healthy, but it's not worth it if you just plain don't like celery!!

Old 04-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Oh lol.. yeah I like celery with peanut butter but then I'd rather just eat the peanut butter without it cos that would be even better lol. The thing is, sometimes I just can't stop eating. I have to put stuff in my mouth constantly and eating things that contain calories (unless I eat like 800 at a time) aren't gonna stop me so this is my solution against it. Anyway, I guess I could try carrots... but don't they contain sugar? I don't know I just thought celery was my safest choice to 'binge' on lol. Thanks guys for all your responses.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Eat baby carrots. Yes, they contain natural sugar, but it's not like eating candy and they have less natural sugar than fruits. Have you ever tried jicama?

Old 04-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
(female)

wwonderr HB User

I like to put fat free catalina french dressing on celery. It does have some sugar in it, but if you just drizzle a little on, you can still keep the total calories low. The little bit of sweetness in the dressing helps conteract the bitterness.

As for carrots, they are also low calorie. One early study showed them having a high glycemic index, however, that study only involved 5 people. Subsequent studies with more people showed a much lower glycemic index. However; the information from the first, flawed study is still widely disseminated and leads people to worry about there being too much sugar in carrots.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
(female)

gina6499 HB User

I dislike celery too... same complaint, bitter, gross, etc. I remember it was okay once though, when my grandpa made it "Italian-style", i.e., peeled the "skin" off (I guess that would leave the celery "heart") then put a paper thin coating of XV olive oil on a plate & sprinkled with salt and pepper. You drag the celery hearts across the salt/pepper/oil mixture. I'm not saying it's great, but it's slightly more edible than the other ways I've tried. I'd have to agree with the majority though, in the thought that you might as well just ditch the celery altogether and go for some veggies that you find more palatable.

Last edited by gina6499; 04-24-2005 at 05:49 PM.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:20 AM   #10
(female)

tdot HB User

I LOVE celery! I eat it with babaganough.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Justanothagirl,
Have you tried putting the celery into another food? Mixing the celery into something else? If you aren't a fan of the taste of celery as a solo snack, then try mixing it into something else that is low fat, etc.

~Colleen

Old 04-25-2005, 10:02 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot
I LOVE celery! I eat it with babaganough.
Hi, TDot

I'm just curious: what is babaganough?

~Colleen

Old 04-25-2005, 10:17 AM   #13
(female)

tdot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musical_Muse
Hi, TDot

I'm just curious: what is babaganough?

~Colleen
Babaganough is a roasted eggplant dip. It is delish! You can make it homemade, though it is complicated or you can buy it in the grocery store where the hummus is located. Because it is a dip, you have to be a little careful with it, but it is super yummy with celery. It is one of my favorite snacks!

Old 04-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

I'm not a big celery fan but I'll go with celery and peanut butter.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:18 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

reddoorblack HB User

I love celery and snack on it when I get the munchies at work. I keep some in the fridge cut up for those times I need a snack. Have you tried celery hearts? For some reason the hearts seem less intense in flavor. Also, a trick my grandma used to do... Fill a large mouth glass up with cold water and stand your celery in the glass (after it's been washed and cut up). The water should cover the celery at least half way. Store in the fridge. For some reason it always tasted so much better.

Other veggies that I like to snack on that are low-cal are cucumber slices, radish, mushroom. I'm just one of those people who likes the taste of veggies and can take or leave a topping or dip.

Closed Thread