It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
(male)

nedfrin HB User
Dieter to normal eater ahh

ok... so ive dieted for like 2 years and now im trying to rebuild muscle... im 17.
i have always dieted and always been hungry. Ive learned to coup with depression through hunger.
Now, When i try eating, I cannot get mentally full. I always eat until i cannot humanly possibly eat anymore... and then i feel bloated and sick... and then i feel hungry a while after...

I feel upset and am in a delema. Please help.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
(female)

jade112 HB User
Re: Dieter to normal eater ahh

Hi Gord-
I am sorry to hear you are having troubles You should post this on the ED column as well. I am pretty familiar with that board, although not especially in your area. The people there are so helpful and they have great uplifting advice b/c they have been though or at least know how to suggest things for you.

Good Luck!!! You are so young and I wish you nothing but the best. No worries you will work this out and be bulking up in no time!!

- Jade

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #3

Exile HB User

measure everything out before you eat it. make a sensible serving, and just stop afterwards. if you want to build muscle, you should be eating every 3 to 4 hours for best results anyway, so just be strict with yourself, and wait 3 hours, and then eat another sensible serving.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

exile- i don't think this is a sensible thing to do if Gord is coming from a disordered eating background.. measuring and eating to a schedule isn't NORMAL, so why should anyone start if it is not needed?

Gord- try to eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. The meals should be around 600-700 Cals and the snacks 200-300, totalling around 2500+ Cals per day. Don't jump into this right away though, start by increasing your current menu by 250 or so Cals per day, until you reach the number you want. You will prolly feel bloated and full, but your hunger signals are all messed up, so ignore that. The feelings with pass in a few days and you will be able to feel hunger eventually.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:41 AM   #5
(female)

zusanna HB User

I agree with girlygirl, DON'T start measuring out everything you eat!! It will only cause you to become obsessive about it. Believe me, I had to throw my measuring cups/spoons away. Instead of counting cals or measuring out your food, count the healthy foods you eat and try following the food pyramid. But it is very important also to never restrict yourself. If you want some cookies or ice cream then have some. Restricting yourself will only cause binge episodes. I personally try to follow the "80/20 rule". 80% of the time I eat healthy, 20% I eat what I want and it works for me. If your focusing on rebuilding muscle protein is VERY important. So eat your lean meats, nuts/seeds, eggs, legumes, dairy, etc. As far as eating until you're stuffed, try eating slower. It takes your body 20 minutes to realize it's full. I still have that same problem sometimes. I'm recovering from an ED as well and somedays I feel like I could eat nonstop all day long. It's just your body's way of dealing with deprivation. That will subside. When your body realizes you aren't going to starve it anymore then it'll begin acting normally again. Also to avoid overeating, eat 5-6 times a day. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks everyday. Whenever you feel hungry eat. Don't let yourself get so hungry you could eat a horse before you sit down for a meal. Learning to recognize your body's signals can be challenging since they've been ignored for so long. If you have anymore questions please ask. Also try posting on the ED board. They are so supportive and helpful. Good luck!

Closed Thread