It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
(male)

kascen HB User
chickaterian

ok i have been eating only chicken as my meat for about a year but i dont know if this is health or not? the reason i dont eat red meat in particular is because of high risk heart attacks in my family. help, am i being healty!!

Old 04-29-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: chickaterian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kascen
ok i have been eating only chicken as my meat for about a year but i dont know if this is health or not? the reason i dont eat red meat in particular is because of high risk heart attacks in my family. help, am i being healty!!
kascen,

If you're eating a variety of veggies and whole grains and not swimming your meals in fats, then you are probably getting plenty of nutrients. When we lived in California (we've been in Germany for 10 years now), I used to buy only turkey products -- turkey breast, turkey ham, ground turkey, and made all my meat-based recipes from these low-fat meats. I also did a lot of bean and lentil recipes.

I'd say having a variety of veggies in your diet is more important than lots of different meats.

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 03:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User

I try to eat some fish as well as chicken to have a bit of variety, so a couple of times a week I might have mackerel, salmon, pilchards etc. I think red meat isn't particularly healthy but fish is really good for you.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

One thing that comes to mind is iron. I think red meat has much more than chicken, but I'm sure you can make it up elsewhere.

Red meat also helps raise the HDL (good cholesterol), so you might want to read up on other foods that might help there, if its an issue for you.

Closed Thread