It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
(female)

dceptiveophelia HB User
Question Trans Fat Question

A lot of products now are being labeled "Trans Fat Free" or show 0g of Trans fat in the the Nutrition Facts table. But Paritally Hydrogenated Oils are still listed in the ingredients. I try to keep informed, but I'm definitely no expert on this subject. Is it because the levels are too low to measure or account for? Thanks guys, I'm feeling a little ignorant about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Trans Fat Question

Now, I thought if something was labelled "trans fat free" it could not have ANY trans fats. (I could very well be wrong, though; experts please pipe up!)

But you are right about the 0 gram business. If a serving size contains less than 0.5 grams, they are allowed to round down and the label can say 0 grams. (That's way some of those serving sizes are so small.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

dceptiveophelia HB User

Thanks for helping to clarify! I try to avoid trans fats, and the ingredient thing was confusing me a little.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

So if it says trans fat free, is that correct if it has Partially Hydrogenated Oil in the ingredients? Or is that misleading????

Old 04-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
(male)

Nixona HB User

If anything in the ingredient list starts with "Partially Hydrogenated..." then the food has trans fats. Like aunjudyg said, if a "serving size" contains less than 0.5g, the manufacturer can call it 0g. I think some wise mind in the government has said to be healthy, the typical adult should eat no more than 1.5g trans fats per day. So while a serving of PRACTICALLY ANYTHING MADE BY THE KRAFT COMPANY may have 0.4g of trans fats, if you eat a couple handfuls, call it 3 servings, you are getting 1.2g of trans fats instead of the 0g you have been lead to believe.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Yep,

"Trans fat free" can be .49 grams of trans fat. Normally this wouldn't be a problem IF THEY ARE HONEST ABOUT SERVING SIZE. BUT if the idea of preserving the labelling is more important than honesty the serving size of ANYTHING can be adjusted to show TRANS FAT FREE by just making the "serving size" smaller and smaller.

So check how much youu REALLY eat and assume .5 grams per serving if you see the word HYDROGENATED. If you eat "5 servings" than assume you are getting over 2 grams trans fat.
Some products are big offenders in this regard...I'm thinking of Cool Whip and the like where they make believe everyone has a teeny amount when in fact a normal person eats MANY "servings" in one sitting.

Closed Thread