It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 04:13 AM   #1

G2004 HB User
Ideas of varitey for boring diet.

My diet is so borning I find myself basically eating the same things evweryday. I do try and vary my fruits and veggies. On my good days my diet looks something like this
Breakfast: a serving of kashi heart to heart and a serving of kashi go lean with skim milk. OR oatmeal with skim milk, Or eggs and toast. and I usually have a piece of fruit at the same time as these or a little later in the morning

Lunch: usually a turkey sandwhich with mustard lettuce, tomateo. some veggies like broccoli carrots tomatoes, a piece of fruit and I try to get some a glass of milk or yourgut with my lunch or I have it a little later in the afternoon.
Lunch is usually some type of sandwhich.
Dinner: It depends, lean cuisine with some added veggies. or some kind of lean protein with veggies. or something that I normally have for breakfast or lunch.
Snacks: fruit,yourgurt, dry cereal, cut up veggies and dip, cottage cheese and fruit. and peanut butter and alomst anything .
some snacks that aren't so good, animal crackers, pretzles, and other snack foods that don't fill me up, Just empty calories.

Now that is a good day, I am not saying I eat like that everyday (some days ended up eating junk food all day long).
What are some ways I can add variety so I am getting good healthy tastey foods so I don't feel like I need to eat junk food because my diet is so borning!
-Emily-

Old 04-30-2005, 05:11 AM   #2
(female)

Goya123 HB User
Re: Ideas of varitey for boring diet.

I think many people (myself included) have the same problem.

The thing that got so boring for me was eating everything pre-packaged (cereal, oatmeal, deli sandwiches, frozen meals, etc.) Occaisionally I would make eggs or pasta, but that was about the limit of my cooking.

Then it got boring. So, I decided to start cooking. Not only did I find the act of cooking fun but the food was more fun to eat. Even something very simple like chicken breast created a much more enjoyable salad. The health benefits of cooking for oneself are great, too.

Of course, I still eat a lot of pre-packaged foods (I hope to keep cooking more and more--I'm going to try to make my own chicken broth soon), but just the addition of home-cooked foods has really spiced up my eating life.

If you're new to cooking, this is a great book (note, it's a cook book, not a recipe book), I'm Just Here for the Food: Food + Heat = Cooking by Alton Brown (whose Food Network show "Good Eats" is equally wonderful).

Last edited by Goya123; 04-30-2005 at 05:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 09:52 AM   #3

G2004 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I do want to get away from always eating the packaged foods since they have some added preservatives and other stuff. Learning how to cook is exactley what I need to do. I can easily follow a recipe and have it turn out the right way, but following a recipe can be annoying. It usually means really planning in adavance, going to the store, getting stuff I usually don't buy and the rest of that stuff goes to waste. Like you guys said learning how to cook, eventally I will be able to be able to come up with my own recipes.
I hear you about having limited options in a dorm. right now I am living at home and commuting to school. But last semester one of the things I couldn't stand was the food inthe cafe. trying to eat healthy I ended up eatin the same things over and over again. Those things weren't even that great.
I will have to look into those books they sound great!
-Emily-

Old 04-30-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

G2004,

Everyone has given you great suggestions about how to spice up your diet. I am also switching over to fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats and leaving behind the various processed foods. In doing this, I have found that I prefer the taste of the fresh foods, as they are much mroe flavorful; there is a larger variety of them; and I can mix 'n match to get the flavors that I crave and want.

To add some spice to your diet, I would recommend literally adding spices to your cooked foods. These make ALL the difference, and I have gotten to where I crave the spicy foods (such as jalapenos, peppers, etc.), as they taste soooooo good to me. I also have found that eating sweet fruits such as oranges, mangos, watermelon, etc. has curbed my sweet tooth and, in fact, I go for these things when I want something sweet now .

Though maybe I shouldn't, I'm also going to drop the name of someone I really like: Andrew Weill. I am reading one of his books, and I have borrowed a copy of his recipe book from the library to look at. I think he is an excellent resource for healthy, delicious eating, and I would highly recommend him. I also really like Rachel Ray. She has so much energy on TV, and I think her recipes are wonderful. Hmmm...maybe I will look into her recipe books, too. I actually didn't even know that she had put any out.

Have Fun!

~Colleen

Old 05-01-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Does your mom have a large food freezer you can put things in? I like to make a huge pot of bean, lentil or pea soup and freeze it in portions for just two meals. I usually put enough onion, celery, carrots or other veggies in it and sometimes a small amount of ham, so one doesn't need too much to add to it for a meal. Legumes are great for helping to remove some of the dietary cholesterol from the intestines for those watching thier cholesterol. Soups like this do take some time to prepare, but when you can get 14-16 servings out of it, you get a lot of super quick meals. Just thaw in the refrigerator the night before use, then heat in the microwave.

Another thing I eat a lot is salads with a baby spinach base instead of lettuce. Far more nutritious. The baby spinach is available in the packages of pre-washed veggies, so that helps save time. I usually buy the packages of tiny pre-peeled carrots, too, to save time. With those, I'll throw in whatever I might have on hand: cauliflower, broccoli, celery, radishes, sunflower seeds, canned mushrooms (fresh would be better, but I never seem to have them on hand), chopped hard-cooked eggs, tuna or chicken, marinated garbanzo beans or a three-bean salad.

The easy marinated garbanzo beans I sometimes enjoy eating alone, too. Slightly crush about one teaspoon of dry rosemary and add to one can of garbanzo beans. Cook for 20 minutes. Drain and cool. Place in a bowl or jar and add a bit of Italian dressing. Let marinate for twelve or more hours, stirring or turning the jar occasionally. Yummy. They keep well, so I like to have these on hand often to add more interest to my salads.

Closed Thread