It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #1

RICH7 HB User
Please Give Me A Sample Diet Low In Sodium

I am only 27 but have a little issue with my blood pressure....I would like to try to get my bp down by watching my diet.

Does anybody know what type of diet I should try to stay on??? I know it needs to be low in sodium...but I have a hard time planning meals and knowing which foods to eat and which ones to avoid.

Any suggestions???

Last edited by moderator2; 05-04-2005 at 01:53 PM. Reason: please follow this topic on the High & Low Blood Pressure board

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
(female)

jade112 HB User
Re: Please Give Me A Sample Diet Low In Sodium

First I would get in the habit of checking the sodium content on all the things you buy & avoid cooking with salt. I just omit the salt in most recipes. ( you can put it on the table for anyone that really wants to add it and you can add other things for flavor, like Mrs. Dash, onions or garlic. Also look for reduced sodium products, there are a lot out there!
Here are a couple things to watch out for:

*Most Frozen Meals
*All Fast Food
*Packaged Rice/Noodle Mixes- They can be OK if you dont add all the seasoning pkt.
*Canned soups- pretty much ALL canned food, I think the salt preserves it?
*Beef/Turkey Jerkey-You can find some low brands though
*Cottage Cheese- Not sure if they have a low sodium version but it is OK in small portions plus it has a ton of protien
*Lunch Meats & Cheeses
*Chips and Snack Mixes/Crackers
*Condiments-Salsa, BBQ, Sweet & Sour, Marinades, ect.

I think if you just make yourself aware of sodium the same way you would with calories or something you should be fine. And after some expirmenting... you will be cooking low sodium in no time
Hope this helps a little, GOOD LUCK.

-Jade

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
(female)

tdot HB User
Re: Please Give Me A Sample Diet Low In Sodium

You should check out the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) Diet. It basically promotes healthy eating, but has been clinically proven to aid in the management of hypertension. There is a really great fact sheet on the DASH diet on the National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute website. It even includes a sample menu plan for one week. You should check it out. Good luck!

Last edited by tdot; 05-04-2005 at 01:38 PM.

Closed Thread