It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #1

ocurt HB User
How to get rid of a sweettooth

Hey everyone! I'm a 14 yr. old female and I'm 5'6, 115 lbs. I'm not overweight, in fact, I'm on the low end of healthy range. I have a tendancy to REALLY want something sweet at about noon everyday. I usually give in. I really want to cut out a lot of my sugar intake though. How long do you think it will take to break my habit? And do you have any tips on how to do it? Please help!

Old 05-04-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: How to get rid of a sweettooth

You're probably not eating enough in the morning to keep you full, and you body craves a quick energy boost (ie sugar) to get it going around noon. What, if anything do you have for breakfast? You should be having a meal of some dairy (yogurt, cheese, milk), protein (cheese, ham, eggs, etc), fat (cheese, butter, etc), and some carbs (fruits, toast, crackers, etc).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 05:19 AM   #3

ocurt HB User

Most of the time i eat a smoothie for breakfast, (yogurt, ice, strawberries and bananas) and I try to make that last till around noon... but it hardly ever works!

Old 05-05-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
(male)

Nixona HB User

Try some grains in the morning, a whole-grain cereal, some oatmeal, wheat toast and jam, something along those lines. I found liquid meals didn't stick with me long either.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

Goya123 HB User

I had quite a sweet tooth for a while, too, and found the way to kick the habit was simply to stop eating sweets. This is a rather odd phenomenon, in my opinion, but it seems to work. I can't remember exactly what prompted me to stop feeding my sweet tooth, but after resisting some pretty strong urges, the urges disappeared. My mom noticed a similar trend after starting an Atkins diet; she stopped craving carbs.

Now, I hardly ever eat sweets, and if I do, I find the urges easier to control (and, eating sweets in moderation makes each treat more special and I give myself more time to really enjoy the taste). Additionally, I seem to take more pleasure in the natural sugars in things like fruits and vegetables (my recent favorites have been red bell peppers and baby carrots).

Old 05-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Thats been one of my biggest habit to break, I can go all day and if I have one cookie or piece of candy I won't stop til it is gone. I stopped buying cookies or candy but I go out of my way to hit a store that has some treat that is free for the taking like the bakery dept, and sometimes I end up buying a bag of cookies or rolos anyway! I have the biggest sweet tooth, I'm 5'3 and weigh 112lbs so weight isn't an issue and I do eat a good bowl of cereal or yogurt in the morning and I can be stuffed to the gills and still will eat some sweet whatever it may be.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Ditto for me about eating fruits and veggies, as well as just cutting out the processed sugar from my diet. I haven't really eaten very much processed sugar in about a month now, and I feel better, and I find that I hardly even crave it anymore. It is a weird phenomenon .

Like another poster, I also really like to drink fresh fruit smoothies and eat fresh veggies, and I have found that I prefer these foods to other processed foods. Of course, I still like the occasional chocolate...but even that craving has diminished somewhat.

~Colleen

Old 05-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I think the only way to get rid of a sweet tooth is to go cold turkey - no sweets, cakes or bread (just for a while) The first day is torture, the second not so bad, by the third you forget you ever even craved sweets. Also, it helps if you get enough protein.

Like Goya 123 said, when you DO eat something sweet you really enjoy it much more than when you're eating sweet stuff all the time.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #9

ocurt HB User

how about fruit and yogurt? i eat a lot of fruit... and i have a yogurt based smoothie almost everyday, the rest of the stuff i think i could do w/out

Closed Thread