It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User
Paleo Diet

Has anyone here tried the Paleo diet? Did you find it difficult? It looks like you'd have to make ALL your own food. (I just bought a book on it. There are also a few websites.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User
Re: Paleo Diet

Hi, Crossbow.

What is the Paleo Diet?

For me, it's about just eating healthy: fruits, veggies, lean meats and eating in moderation. Though I definately do not need to lose any weight, I do want to eat healthier so that I can feel better :-).

~Colleen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

The Paleo Diet means cutting out all foods that our paleolithic ancestors didn't eat, specifically vegetable oils, refined sugars, dairy and grains. It's mostly meat, fruit, and veggies. Generally a good idea.

However, there are some weird bits. For example, a lot of the recipes include nonfat yogurt, and that's dairy. In fact, it's really modern dairy; it was only invented in the last century. It also emphasized "lean" meat, but eating fat is one of our deepest instincts, since it gives you the most energy the fastest. Fat was extremely important to paleolithic people.

It also excludes salt, and salt is VITAL to humans. You can die without enough of it. I personally get pretty sick without enough salt, and I've known other people who've had to go to the emergency room after collapsing from lack of salt due to their "low salt" diets.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Actually, yogurt has been around for a long time. For example, we know that as early as 1500 BC ancient Egyptians were fermenting milk products to produce yogurt, cheese, buttermilk, etc.

There are many whole foods that contain sodium naturally, one of the focuses of the "Paleo Diet" is to recreate the proper ratio of potassium -to- sodium, it could be something like six to one, but I may be way off, it's been a while. The modern diet we consume contains WAAYY too much sodium and far too little potassium. NaCl is a mineral, a slight buffer which found in is natural state is bonded to many other minerals, which very easily makes its way into the food chain, you will get plenty of it consuming whole, unprocessed foods. We've conditioned ourselves to "needing" salt, when we are actually "overdosing" on it.

As for the fats, lean meats, fish, and (some) plant foods contain a high degree of Omega-3 fatty acids. Paleo man consumed a high ratio of Omega-3s to Omega-6s, which he got in moderation from other plant foods. Once again, our modern diet completely reverses that which should be natural for our bodies- we do much better with high Omega-3s, but by processing fats we hydrogenate them, we used to think pure vegetable oil (O-6s) was best for frying (Omega-6s should never be subjected to heat), and by consuming beef and processed foods we increase our intake of saturated fats.

Last edited by moderator4; 05-14-2005 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Quote need not to be repeated

Old 05-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User

crossbow-
whats your blood type?
i have heard that high animal protein diets (like paleo) work well for type Os.
type 0, if you subscribe to this theory, is also the oldest blood type- ie at the time of early humans.
i have just started researching the blood type diet.
it might be something to take into consideration?
i am finding it very useful. its interesting that low-carb diets are best suited to type Os which make up most of the NA population.. i tried it for 8 months, was miserable and didnt lose that much weight, but i do much better on a vegetarian diet (which is characteristic of my blood type).

Last edited by juicylicious; 05-06-2005 at 03:27 PM.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbow
It also emphasized "lean" meat, but eating fat is one of our deepest instincts, since it gives you the most energy the fastest. Fat was extremely important to paleolithic people.
Hi crossbow! I agree, for the most part, but please excuse a little nit-picking. Strictly speaking, the "meat" our paleo ancestors ate probably was quite lean. But you are right that fat was important - but they got it from bone marrow. Archaelogists find lots of cracked bones at the same time the brains of homonids started to increase in size. And you know what the brain is, largely? Lipids, of course!

Old 05-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowfish
Actually, yogurt has been around for a long time. For example, we know that as early as 1500 BC ancient Egyptians were fermenting milk products to produce yougurt, cheese, buttermilk, etc.
Until the poster pipes up to clarify for themselves . . . I thought they meant that LOW FAT yogurt was a recent invention, which I believe it is. I would imagine from the Egyptians on forward, they were using whole milk.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
Hi crossbow! I agree, for the most part, but please excuse a little nit-picking. Strictly speaking, the "meat" our paleo ancestors ate probably was quite lean. But you are right that fat was important - but they got it from bone marrow. Archaelogists find lots of cracked bones at the same time the brains of homonids started to increase in size. And you know what the brain is, largely? Lipids, of course!
Barry Spears (The Zone Diet) goes as far to speculate that paleo man cracked open skulls to consume brains for the high Omega-3 content, like many wild animals do.

(I must have missed the word "nonfat" before yogurt)... I think many of the adaptations in this "diet" (that wouldn't naturally have occurred thousands of years ago) are designed to have the same effects on the body while making up for other variables that cannot be dissolved when living in modern society.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicylicious
crossbow-
whats your blood type?
i have heard that high animal protein diets (like paleo) work well for type Os.
type 0, if you subscribe to this theory, is also the oldest blood type- ie at the time of early humans.
i have just started researching the blood type diet.
it might be something to take into consideration?
i am finding it very useful. its interesting that low-carb diets are best suited to type Os which make up most of the NA population.. i tried it for 8 months, was miserable and didnt lose that much weight, but i do much better on a vegetarian diet (which is characteristic of my blood type).
My blood type is O. I have mixed feelings about the blood type diet. On the one hand lots of people who have used them rave about them, but my sister, who is a geneticist, thinks it's complete bunck - in fact, it offended her scientific sensibilities so badly that she's been carrying on a correspondence wiht the author. She says he's well-meaning but he doesn't really understand any of the things he's talking about.

But the blood type diets do mean moderate quantities of nutritious food, so they're definitely good in that way.

Also, I saw a nutritionist who told me that I need at least twice the USRDA of protein, so there could be something to it.

Auntjudyg and Mellowfish -

I did indeed mean lowfat yoghurt specifically, but let's also look at yoghurt in general: Maybe they were making it 3500 years ago in Egypt, but **** Sapiens Sapiens has been around for at least 250,000 years, which means yoghurt is still a very recent development.

Another interesting point that may or may not be relevant to this diet: Raw meat has tons if vitamins in it, but when you cook it, you destroy them. That's the trade-off we make for not getting nasty parasites. It stands to reason that when people started using fire, they would have had to drastically change their diets in other ways.

Oh, and Omega 3 fatty acids: Hunter-gatherer/horticultural people still do eat the brains of animals. I'll bet the paleo diet doesn't advocate that! (Although I really loooove duck brains.)

Last edited by Crossbow; 05-14-2005 at 08:31 PM.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:45 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

A recipe with dairy in it is NOT paleolithic. There was no dairy before the advent of agriculture. There also seems to be a misconception about fat in the paleolithic diet. A well know Paleo guy named Cordain insists upon a "lean meat" paleo diet. I don't think that stands up to scrutiny. All hunter gatherers value fat and eat the organs, brains, marrow and sub-cutaneous fat first with lean muscle meat as their last choice or feed it to the dogs. This idea that saturated fat is bad may be the reason. Saturated fat is vital and healthy because evolution designed us to thrive while eating it. With a high protein diet, ample fat is necessary to avoid rabbit disease (fat deficient protein diets produce gastric distress). So eat like we were designed and grow healthy by eliminating vegeatable oils, sugars, legumes and dairy.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:03 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
A recipe with dairy in it is NOT paleolithic. There was no dairy before the advent of agriculture. There also seems to be a misconception about fat in the paleolithic diet. A well know Paleo guy named Cordain insists upon a "lean meat" paleo diet. I don't think that stands up to scrutiny. All hunter gatherers value fat and eat the organs, brains, marrow and sub-cutaneous fat first with lean muscle meat as their last choice or feed it to the dogs. This idea that saturated fat is bad may be the reason. Saturated fat is vital and healthy because evolution designed us to thrive while eating it. With a high protein diet, ample fat is necessary to avoid rabbit disease (fat deficient protein diets produce gastric distress). So eat like we were designed and grow healthy by eliminating vegeatable oils, sugars, legumes and dairy.
Legumes?

Old 06-24-2005, 09:40 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Ya legumes, dont you know??

Old 06-24-2005, 10:36 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losec20mg
Ya legumes, dont you know??
Yah he said to AVOID legumes, I know what they are, beans and nuts.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:31 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Perhaps I should have said tree nuts eaten raw. Nuts are not legumes. Cashews are a seperate issue (a tree nut with problems)and I avoid them as I do peanuts (not a nut, but a legume).

Old 06-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

be careful with roasted nuts, most of the time they contain gluten..

Last edited by Losec20mg; 06-24-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Closed Thread