It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Oh, another question, is Kefir a good source of protein versus whey?

Hi,
I've been drinking Kefir daily as part of my diet regime because of the benefits of the "friendly bacteria" it promotes in the digestive tract. I haven't been drinking my whey shakes and substituted Kefir which contains 15g of protein, what are your comments about the difference between the two, as far as "good quality" muscle maintaing protein? Thanks.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Oh, another question, is Kefir a good source of protein versus whey?

As a protein source kefir is probably equal to the protein in the milk that made it. If by WHEY, you mean the powdered CONCENTRATED whey protein (like the health food stores sell) then the WHEY has FAR more protein, sometimes 90% by weight.

Figure kefir for about 8 grams of protein for every 8 ounce glassful, unless it's fortified with extra powdered milk commercially.

Both have identical amino acid compositions and are both "complete" proteins.

Of course only the kefir has the plethora of probiotics (many MANY more kinds than yoghurt...and many that survive into the intestines!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
As a protein source kefir is probably equal to the protein in the milk that made it. If by WHEY, you mean the powdered CONCENTRATED whey protein (like the health food stores sell) then the WHEY has FAR more protein, sometimes 90% by weight.

Figure kefir for about 8 grams of protein for every 8 ounce glassful, unless it's fortified with extra powdered milk commercially.

Both have identical amino acid compositions and are both "complete" proteins.

Of course only the kefir has the plethora of probiotics (many MANY more kinds than yoghurt...and many that survive into the intestines!)
Thanks Lenin!
So I guess your saying that whey is a better source of "protein."Okay.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #4

Sameesh HB User

Well hes saying whey IS kefir. Whey Protein powdr, however, is gonna be a better source of that whey than just kefir.

Closed Thread