It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Cereal is SO addicting!!

Does anyone else become addicted to cereal?!?! I think it is one of the main foods that I overeat. In the morning when I am making my breakfast (which is usually an apple or a banana cut up with cottage cheese and cereal) I eat about 1 cup of cereal with the concoction, but then I keep reaching my hand in the box and end up eating probably double that!
At least this is at breakfast so I can just eat a smaller lunch. But what is it about cereal that is so addicting!?!??!

Old 05-18-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
(male)

nedfrin HB User
Re: Cereal is SO addicting!!

me! when im at friends houses lol... i take a handful of each cereal... im a bad bad boy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
(female)

FitChic HB User

cereal has probably been the hardest thing for me to at least limit from my diet..........no way i could totally not eat it @ all..............but i have switched from the unhealthy choices (frosted flakes, fruit loops, lucky charms.lol) to the healthier high fiber cereals (Kashi, total)............but agreed with you on that....cereal is very addicting, i dont know what it is either!

Old 05-19-2005, 05:59 AM   #4
(female)

zusanna HB User

Mmmm....I love cereal too!! I think breakfast is my fav meal of the day. I like all the hot cereals too like oatmeal and cream of wheat. But at least it's something that is good for you (the healthy ones anyway). I also love ice cream which isn't so good for me, lol.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
(female)

nadia snow HB User

yeah but at least its ALOT MORE HEALTHY than chips and you (at least i do anyway) eat them like i would eat chips (which, by the way, i have not touched, the potato chips i mean, since like last summer! crazy right?) anyway just make sure you switch to corn flakes or something with a much less sugar & try to look for high fiber & LOW FAT CALORIES of course!) as natural as possible. <333 oh yeah & i really would love to buy a certain brand of corn flakes cereal (you should experiment w/ different brands...maybe "whole foods supermarket" has a really overwhelming selection of cereals as well as brands that are organic. anyway i hate kellogg's corn flakes and i'm trying to find the brand of corn flakes that i found absolutely delicious & only 100 calories and no fat per cup!) Ahhhh stupid kelloggs

Old 05-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I LOVE cereal too!!!! If you stay away from the "kiddie" ones with all the sugar and use skim milk you are way better off.
I lost 20 lbs eating Special K and skim milk twice a day, (breakfast & lunch) and then a light to no carb dinner. Throw in daily exercise and your good to go!

Old 05-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I like Fiber One Honey Nut Clusters and Kashi Go Lean. I think those two are my favorites, which is good because they are high in fiber and low in sugar.

I love putting cereal in my yogurt, cottage cheese, and even ice cream or frozen yogurt! You should try it. It's a healthy alternative to a high cal topping!

Old 05-20-2005, 01:13 AM   #8
(male)

lewise HB User

is eating cereal regular (eg 3 bowls a day with very little sugar) bad for you?

Old 05-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

3 bowls a day? That is not your meals, is it?

Old 05-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Cereal is pretty addicting. I remember when I was younger I would go throough 3 bowls of Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, Corn Pops, Apple Jacks, etc in one sitting. Now, of course, I gave up on the sugary cereals and replaced them with better options like bran cereal and oatmeal.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #11
Inactive

frozeninside HB User

I LOVE Grape Nuts!! It's so frustrating though because they are highly glycemic. Add to that the fact that I've been trying for the longest time to give up dairy, and well, cereal just isn't the same without milk!! Arggghh.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
Inactive

frozeninside HB User

On the topic of oatmeal, does anyone ever feel very anxious and jittery after eating it? It's almost like my whole system gets a jolt. I'm talking about the kind that you put on the stove for 5 minutes. How about steel-cut oats? Apparently it takes hours to cook, but I've heard it's worth it. Maybe it's less glycemic too?

Old 05-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

ethera HB User

I like cereal too. Nutritionally, Grape Nuts and Shredded Wheat n' Bran are the best ones I know of ( as far as the mainstream brands go ).

Raisin Bran is the best deal of course ( not considering sale items ).

About giving up dairy...have you tried a milk alternative called 'Rice Dream' (vanilla flavor ) ?

It tastes better than skim milk, and a bit richer in consistency.

I try to get the healthy kinds of cereal, but the sugary kinds are kinda fun to eat.

I think there should be a cereal bar, a place you could go to have a bowl of any kind of cereal: "What'll ya have? Skim, 1%, 2%, Vitamin D, or Rice Dream with that ?" maybe they could do hot cereal too, with toppings !

Old 05-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #14
(female)

sha~sha HB User

i really adore cereal too! i like Special K, Cheerio's, Total, Wheaties and well if its healthy i love it! but i have a question- for cheerio's, you know the berry burst, with the banana's and strawberries in it? well they taste kinda sweet, although they have low sugar! is it still healthy for you? i add a banana to my regular cereal but i don't eat too much of the cereal, i have i guess you could say, ''eating problems'' but thats a new story..........lol

Old 05-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #15
(female)

sha~sha HB User
Talking Re: Cereal is SO addicting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethera
I like cereal too. Nutritionally, Grape Nuts and Shredded Wheat n' Bran are the best ones I know of ( as far as the mainstream brands go ).

Raisin Bran is the best deal of course ( not considering sale items ).

About giving up dairy...have you tried a milk alternative called 'Rice Dream' (vanilla flavor ) ?

It tastes better than skim milk, and a bit richer in consistency.

I try to get the healthy kinds of cereal, but the sugary kinds are kinda fun to eat.

I think there should be a cereal bar, a place you could go to have a bowl of any kind of cereal: "What'll ya have? Skim, 1%, 2%, Vitamin D, or Rice Dream with that ?" maybe they could do hot cereal too, with toppings !
oh! try soymilk! its pretty good!

Closed Thread