It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

mariannemannina HB User
How essential is eating breakfast?

Hello, my son, who is ten years old, has never had an appetite in the morning for breakfast. In fact, if he does eat anything, he usually gets an upset stomach. He's been to the pediatrician and everything is fine with his health, so there is no concern there. He has a snack ~10:00 a.m. every morning, and said this is fine for him. He doesn't have any concentration/attention problems at school, so I'm wondering if it's necessary for me to insist that he eat something in the morning -- which usually leads to me just giving up because I don't want to 'cram' food in his mouth if he's just not hungry. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Re: How essential is eating breakfast?

If he eats something at 10am, I'd say he's fine. I definitely think breakfast is very, very important, but if he literally becomes ill from eating it, then don't force it. Keep trying, though, because this could just be a phase...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

I'm not sure what is considered breakfast time for you, but I think that 10a.m. is still "breakfast" time, isn't it? Just because he doesn't eat early in the morning doesn't mean that he isn't still eating "breakfast." So, whether he eats breakfast at 8a.m. or 10a.m., isn't it still breakfast? Just a thought...

~Colleen

Old 05-20-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

Breakfast is very important for our metabolism, brains ect. and eating at 10 is definately considered breakfast....its i nthe morning. i personally eat RITE away when i wake up, doesnt matter wat time it is, it could be 5 all if i care! i never go a day without.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

maybe he would co operate with drinking a smoothie (made from fruit, yoghurt, milk, bit of honey, whizzed in a blender) when he gets up? he might enjoy it because its sometimes easier to drink things in the morning, even if you don't feel like eating. yet its full of vitamins and wiould be a good way to start the day. just a thought. good luck with him.

Old 05-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

For most people, I think a good breakfast is essential. (I'm one of them.) BUT, I have met a number of people who insist they are just not themselves if they do eat breakfast. They have heard all the business about getting the metabolism going, blah, blah, blah, but a number I have met in weight loss settings and they insist if they eat breakfast, they cannot stop eating all day.

Everyone is different. If your son is displaying no problems, and is eating fine otherwise, maybe he is one of those people.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

jozi209 HB User

hi i agree with the last poster. i don't think breakfast is essential. i am the type who does eat the minute i get up, however, i think following the body's natural desire for food is a much better way of eating than forced meals. i aso don't believe it 'revs up' your metabolism. but he is a 10 yr old kid anyway, so even if that is true, he probably doesn't need a metabolism boost.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Yes, breakfast is VERY essential for the metabolism. I don't think I go one day without, LOL. Although, I'm very hungry in the a.m.

Closed Thread