HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Balanced reakfast choices... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/286310-balanced-reakfast-choices.html)

Vixen541 05-20-2005 08:25 PM

Balanced reakfast choices...

Generally my breakfast is a bowl of cheerios in low fat milk, 1/2 cup yogurt and a banana or some form of berries.

one of my friends who minored in nutritian told me cheerios are bad because they are processed and all of these other crazy things- which i think is bs

anyway, generally, i try to avoid overly processed foods. but, some days i would like to have a cup of coffee and a muffin or bagel in comparisson to the cheerios. etc....

so my question is, of the pre-packaged muffins/bagels what are (if any)the best store bought that are available? and i dont mean things like ettemans cake. or little debbies. :cool:

Uff-Da! 05-20-2005 09:48 PM

Re: Balanced reakfast choices...

I will be interested to see if anyone has a good answer to this one, as I have yet to find any store bought bakery products I find acceptable as a breakfast bread. What I usually do is make a huge batch of homemade oat bran muffins or oat bran drop biscuits for the freezer, then take out just enough for one or two days at a time. (I'm lazy. By making a huge batch, I only dirty the dishes once.) :D By making my own, I can control the ingredients, using canola oil and whole grain flours only instead of the white flour and hydrogenated shortenings found in the bakery products.

Vixen541 05-21-2005 06:10 AM

well i know none are good but sometimes ya just want a muffin or bagel ya know? and i'm sure other brands are packed with more cals and processed thigns then others...

girlygirl11 05-21-2005 08:06 AM

Sometimes bakeries in larger grocery stores make muffins instore, and the bran or whole wheat ones don't look too bad (depending on the store). Check the ingredients too. Also, some stores have a natural or whole foods section, and some of they muffins they have there (fresh, frozen) are good. Some small home run bakeries can also make their stuff really well, usuing fresh and good ingredients. Look around at diff places..

Also remember that once in a while that processed stuff won't kill you- if you feel like a blueberry muffin and it's not something youre bingeing on or eating every day, there isn't anything wrong with having one!

SammyT 05-21-2005 08:31 AM

aaah, as girlygirl said, it wont kill yah! and cereal isnt as bad as ppl think...yah, theres some stuff in it we prolly never even heard of, but it has the bran, and lots of nutrients we need. its so good, i love it, and i dont care wat other ppl say, im still gonna eat it. especially raisin bran..yum! and as for the packaged muffins and stuff? well i dont like those neways, but im shure they wont hurt...i mean, yah the blueberries may be fake and who knows, maybe the flour isnt flour at all! haha but it wont kill u and if u like the taste then go for it! just keep it in moderation, not a daily thing.

southjerseymom 05-21-2005 12:34 PM

You know, I also heard that cheerios are really not all that healthy too. Too much sugar, not enough fiber. I don't have a box to compare it to my Kashi Go Lean Crunch ( my favorite) but even if it is true, it's better than eating cereal that turns your milk a fluorescent color! As far as muffins and bagels, I agree with the other posts. If that's what you really like in the morning, you might want to consider making muffins or breakfast breads in bulk and freezing them. There are lots of delicious and healthy recipes out there! A bagel once in awhile isn't going to do harm. Enjoy it all in moderation!

Vixen541 05-21-2005 05:11 PM

What on earth....
southjersey... there is only 1 gram of sugar in a serving of cheerios.

southjerseymom 05-22-2005 05:05 AM

Sorry, do plain cheerios still exist? Just kidding! I automatically thought Honey Nut, Frosted, or Apple Cinnamon! Heck, plain cheerios are one of the first "real people's" food older babies are given when they're ready for table food. And who's going to give a bad good to a baby? My mistake.

SammyT 05-22-2005 08:53 AM

haha thats aight southjersey! stuff like that happens ;)