It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Reaction to tinned fish???

Hi
Whenever I eat tinned fish I have such a bad reaction to it - it doesn't matter whether its sardines, mackerel, pilchards etc. I can eat these fish fine if I get them fresh, but I can't seem to eat tinned fish at all.
The reaction I get is that my breathing gets really really bad that night and for a bit the next day. I am being investigated for breathing problems anyway.
What is in tinned fish that causes such a problem for me? When I look on the ingredients list all it says is mackerel, oil/brine/water etc.
Can anyone help?

Old 05-23-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
(female)

3and1 HB User
Re: Reaction to tinned fish???

Do you have this reaction to canned chicken or other canned foos or just fish?Could be the high sodium content causing you to retain a lot of fluid which is a condition called edema and could cause shallow breathing.You could try the low sodium kind. Another thought would be the chemical reaction with the fish and metal of the can.Have you tried the vacuum packed kind--it tastes much better than the canned if you need something convenient and quick.See if you have the same problem with that type of packaging.I know its hard to always eat the fresh kind.Interesting---keep us posted!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Re: Reaction to tinned fish???

Hello
Thanks for the reply. I don't seem to suffer with other tinned foods although I don't really eat much - just corned beef occasionally and sweetcorn. I will definately try the vacuum packed variety - I do really like the taste of these fish and only got into them recently. Will be a shame to have to give them uP!

If I had edema then would my whole body get puffy or would it just affect my lungs? Do you think that this could also be the reason why I am short of breath at night usually? I am slim and only 29. The breathing is bad at night rather than during the day aswell?

Best wishes
Tesss

Closed Thread