It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
What's your favorite brand of green tea?

Hi,
I'm an avid green tea drinker, and my favorite brand is made by Yogi. Anyways, I'm looking for a tea that contains a lot of polyphenols and ECKG compounds so I don't have to drink so much. I mean, I drink like 6 cups a day because I double bag them. I heard of a tea made in a dropper thingy on a radio advertisement called Herba Green tea. What kind do you like, and is there a strong version, like a brand with one tea bag equaling 5 cups or something. The herba green tea equals to 10 cups per serving, wow. But it is kinda pricey, although for $30 bucks, I prolly end up spending that much anyways because Yogi tea is $4 for one box of 16 bags and I buy about 2 a week. Is there any store brands like that that I can buy instead of ordering on line. I only trust a few sites, lol. If you don't know, what kind do you like anyway?

Old 05-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User
Re: What's your favorite brand of green tea?

Hello,

This is not a tea bag kind, but my favorite green tea is Arizona Green Tea. It is very healthy and has added honey and other herbs to make it even better. Tastes great too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexla
Hello,

This is not a tea bag kind, but my favorite green tea is Arizona Green Tea. It is very healthy and has added honey and other herbs to make it even better. Tastes great too!
Thanks, I'll give that a try! Isn't that the "iced tea" kind?

Old 05-23-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

I take 'Yogi' too..

Old 05-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
(female)

Tjay718 HB User

Is it true that green tea increases metabolism? If so, what do you add to the tea to give it flavor? or do you drink it regular without anything?

Old 05-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

I usually drink it without anything (as I am now) but sometimes if I have any honey, I add some...I would add some now, since I got a sore throat and chunk...but I don't have any. I've been just drinking tea made by Stash Teas...I haven't had Yogi's green tea, but have had others they've made - good stuff! Have you tried loose leaf tea? It's a lot cheaper, and you can vary the strength to suit yourself.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Lalli HB User

Oh man, I've tried a bunch of different brands, but I LOVE Long Life Organic Green Tea. It's 4.15 in Vitamin Shoppe and like 4.95 in healthfood stores (this is the decaf kind though). Oh my gosh I love the taste, and over a short time it helps my singing voice and keeps me from wanting junk food most of the time.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I haven't found any that doesn't taste like DIRT! It seems if I want a decent cuppa, I've got to go to a Japanese restaurant. When I ask what brand they use they say: GREEN tea. WHen I try to pin them down all of a sudden it's "no spikkee engris!"

I DON'T want to pay "health food" prices.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjay718
Is it true that green tea increases metabolism? If so, what do you add to the tea to give it flavor? or do you drink it regular without anything?
I always add a little honey.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I haven't found any that doesn't taste like DIRT! It seems if I want a decent cuppa, I've got to go to a Japanese restaurant. When I ask what brand they use they say: GREEN tea. WHen I try to pin them down all of a sudden it's "no spikkee engris!"

I DON'T want to pay "health food" prices.
Ancient Japanese tea ritual take many years to learn... a good cuppa tea is supposed to taste like GRASS, not dirt !

I prefer to get the organic if possible, but lately I've been drinking FooJoy (Chinese), which I buy 100 bags for $1.99 at the Asian grocery. I would like to try tea prepared traditional Japanese style, it is supposed to be the best and of the highest quality, but since I am not learned in tea ritual I guess I will have to settle for the local Japanese kitchen.

Last edited by mellowfish; 05-24-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

reddoorblack HB User

I love tazo green tea! The kind I buy has mint and lemon grass and some other herbs. It tastes so good it doesn't need a sweetener.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowfish

but lately I've been drinking FooJoy (Chinese), which I buy 100 bags for $1.99 at the Asian grocery.
I will take your advice and look for FOOJOY (I'm a subway ride from Chinatown, NYC) and that price is a BIG selling point.
Thank you.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well mellowfish,
Half a year later I FINALLY found FOOJOY Green Tea at my "Foodmart International (a long drive.)" I paid more than you (the 100 would have cost $2.99) but I opted for the 25's for $1.29 to see If I like it.

I'll taste-test after dinner tonight.

Last edited by Lenin; 08-10-2005 at 05:38 AM.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:04 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Yea Lenin good for you!

Hope you like it, if not I am sure you have seen a myriad of other imported brands at similar $. I have found most to be just as palatable as the expensive stuff sold in the little boxes here.

Just a TIP for green tea drinkers: ALWAYS steep your teabag LESS than three minutes; three minutes and more causes the tea to take on a bitter taste. I like to steep mine for no more than 1.5 min, that is good to release all the flavor sans bitterness.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
(female)

sorrel2 HB User

Loose green tea is much better than any bagged kind. But it's more expensive.
To make sure it doesn't taste like "dirt": use water that is not quite boiling (or, if it boiled, let it sit a few minutes before pouring it over the bag.) And like mellowfish said, don't steep too long... I'd say 1 - 2 min.

"Uncle Lee's" is a pretty good bagged brand. Also, if you like Earl Grey tea, I have had a couple of Earl Grey green teas that are very good. Trader Joe's (if you live near any of their stores) makes a great organic one, and Bigelow makes another good one.

Closed Thread