It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
(male)

jbatty HB User
Ideas on avoiding these food allergies

I need some ideas with regards to healthy food that i can prepare and eat that does NOT contain the following food items that i have been told by a nutritionist that i am sensitive to: onions, garlic, tomatoes, tuna, MSG (seasoning), diary milk & eggs.
I also like to avoid spicy food & fatty foods including red meat.
I am 25 and single and i found myself eating only just muesli (breakfast cereal) with oat milk, brown bread & fruits.

Please suggest food items /recipe i can easily obtain from the supermarket.

Thank you.

James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
(female)

drv HB User
Re: Ideas on avoiding these food allergies

hello, well i'm 25 too and am allergic to most things you listed and more..lol
the trick is to buy most fresh foods-nothing in a box or processed(no deli meat , canned soups-full of msg,sugars etc..most seasonings too have msg so go to a health store and find one without for salt/pepper seasoning things read all labels really carefully
here's the main foods i eat:

-brown rice/cream or rice
-sweet potatoes/potatoes/yams-top with margarine(look at label with no whey or milk ingredients)
-spagetti squash for pasta, drizzle seasoning, fake parmesan, pesto from health store whatever-some mix cinammon and sweetener for sweet
-sometimes oats(1x month) or muesli with milk substitute, protein powder
-for dairy: well i cut it all out(lactose)-but there are almond milk,soy, rice milks, cheeses, etc...you can try-i'm not too fond of any of them though
-most veggies-salad, brocolli, carrots,celery(mainly)-shreeded carrot mixed with lemon juice/lime juice sweetener or something like that
-fruits:grapefruit,apples(mainly)
-fats: olive oil, fish oil, almond butter, almonds
-meat: chicken breast, fish-most types, hemp protein powder(read labels most have a form of dairy-or whey concentrate-bothers me anyway
sweetener-stevia
-water, green tea, yerba mate tea

so make stir frys with PAM fat free spray or olive oil, chicken veggies and brown rice
-lots of fruit smoothies/protein shakes with ice, sweetener, milk subtitute
-fresh fruits/almonds
-cut up veggies and dip(dairy free)
-fish, rice, veggies, tamari-yeast free soy sauce with no msg
-large salads, chicken or fish, nuts-i use cider vinegar and oile oil for dressing or balsamic vinegar and olive oil-read labels
-homemade soups(if you like to cook steam veggies then puree in blender then season-or find organic yeast free/msg free broths(healthfood store)
-breads(sprouted grain,whole wheat) with almond butter/peanut butter/bananas--buy natural(i cannot have peanuts so i have almond butter-but buy natural)
-chicken sandwiches with lettuce, cuccumber

oh lunch time-good i'm starving after writting all this..lol

hope that helped alittle...ask away if you have more questions
=D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 AM   #3
(male)

jbatty HB User

Many thanks for these suggestion. The would definitely be very helpful.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #4
(male)

Nixona HB User

Just out of curiosity, how did they determine you had a sensitivity to them? Skin test, blood test, something else? I've often thought about being "tested" to see if I have any issues with food or environmental things..

Old 06-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
(female)

drv HB User

hello-i'm not sure who you were asking but i had my tests done from my doctor-skin test. and also have a naturopath doctor(expensive though) who has done blood tests, rotation diets, accupuncture all sorts of things to see what foods bother me. it has taken me years to figure it out and voila now i'm all good..the answer was simple-EAT CLEAN FOODS-
but if you want my opinion i believe most people should avoid msg, sugar(artificial sweeteners-including splenda), white products, yeast, salt, hydrogenated oils, preservatives-pretty much anything that comes in a fancy package. but hey thats my research. here is a sample of what i eat below-this is when i'm trying to lose body fat so most of the time the portions differ. i eat really clean and workout a lot-hence the higher protein.
but its a guidelines to follow-hope it helps. i have solved most of my allergies and other health issues with food. i also juice leftover veggies and fruits and occasionally indulge in air popped popcorn and sprouted breads and some homemade ice cream concoction(put frozen strawberries and whey protein with a little soy milk or water(not too much or won;t work)and sweetener (stevia) in food processor till smooth-mmmm yummy!!-sorry get excited love fresh foods.)

Monday and Thursday: (Low Carbs / Moderate Calories / Carb Meal at end of day)

Meal #1
4 oz. turkey breast or chicken breast
3 egg whites, 1 yolk
½ Grapefruit or ½ cup omelet
vegetables

Meal #2
Protein Drink: 1-2 scoops (i use hemp or whey isolate(tolerable for lactose intolerant people))
4 frozen strawberries or peach
slices, 12 oz water or rice /soy milk
1 tbps fish oil

Meal #3
6 ounces chicken (weighed
prior to cooking) or 1/2-1 can of tuna
2 cups salad (lettuce,
tomato, carrot, cucumber, green peppers, etc.)

1 TBS. Cider Vinegar and 1 TBS.
Sunflower Oil (or other vegetable oil) for a dressing
(OR USE 2 TBS Paul
Newman’s Oil and Vinegar

Meal #4
Protein Drink: 2 scoops
3 frozen strawberries or peach
slices, 12 oz water
1 tbps fish oil

Meal #5 – no supplements with this meal!
1-cup oatmeal (before
cooking), or 6 level TBS. Cream of Rice (before adding water) or 1 cup cooked
brown rice or grits AND:
6 oz. sweet potato (after
cooking)
4 oz. banana
1 cup vegetables
1 TBS. margarine(non hydrogenated)

Tuesday and Friday: (Low carbs / Low Calories)

Meal #1
4 oz. turkey breast or chicken breast
3 egg whites
1/2 grapefruit (grapefruit
is best but you may substitute ½ cup omelet
type vegetables or 4 strawberries)

Meal #2
5 ounces chicken (weighed
prior to cooking)
2 cups salad (lettuce,
tomato, carrot, cucumber, green peppers, etc.)
2 TBL Cider Vinegar and 1
tsp Sunflower Oil (or other vegetable oil) for a dressing

Meal #3
Protein Drink: 1-2 scoops
3 strawberries, 12 oz water
or 3.25 oz can tuna, 2 egg
whites, 1 small carrot

Meal #4
5 oz lean meat (chicken
breast, turkey breast) or 6 oz Cod Fish
1 cup vegetables (green
leafy is best here – spinach, asparagus)

Wednesday – Saturday – Sunday (Moderate carbs / Moderate Calories)
Meal #1
3 egg whites or
3 oz. chicken or turkey
breast or ½ cup lowfat cottage cheese(i omit this)
1/2 cup oatmeal or brown rice before
cooking

Meal #2
Protein Drink: 1-2 Scoops
and 12-oz water or rice/soy milk and 1/2-1 oz almonds or
5 oz chicken or turkey
breast, 5 strawberries

Meal #3
5 oz. chicken (before
cooking)
4 oz. sweet potato or 1/2
cup cooked brown rice
1 cup vegetables (broccoli,
etc.) or salad with 2 TBS. Low Cal Dressing

Meal #4
(Same as meal #2)

Meal #5
5 oz. 93% lean beef,
chicken, turkey, fish and once or twice weekly sirloin steak
1-2 cups vegetables
1 tsp Flax Oil or fish oil

TIPS
The order of the meals is not as important as the content of the meals. If you would like to switch the order of meal #1 and meal #2 - no problem.
Make sure the beverages you drink are non-caloric - Crystal Light, diet sodas, coffee, tea, are all-ok. Try to drink at least one-gallon water daily for each 100 pounds bodyweight.
You may substitute foods on your prescribed diet with another food from the same category below. For example, if your diet calls for carrots, you can substitute with any non-starchy vegetable such as tomato or another from the list below.
Master Food List - You may substitute freely within a category for variety:
I. Proteins—Chicken, tuna, fish, turkey breast, lean beef, egg whites, whole eggs, whey, hemp protein
II. Complex (Natural) Carbohydrates—This is a risky area. A complex carbohydrate is one that can be fully utilized by the body to be burned as energy. Some good examples are baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, cream of rice, rice cakes, oatmeal, kidney and lima beans, corn, lentils, and peas.

III. Fresh Fruits - Apples, apricots, avocados, berries, cantaloupe, cherries, grapefruit, grapes, honeydew melons, nectarines, oranges, papaya, peaches, plums, strawberries. (Unsweetened frozen fruits are acceptable as part of your total fruit intake.)

IV. Non - Starchy Vegetables: asparagus, green beans, cabbage (all varieties), carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, kale, lettuce (all varieties), onions, peppers (green, red, jalapeno, etc.), radishes, spinach, string beans, squash (summer varieties only), tomatoes, water chestnuts and zucchini.

V. "Healthy" Fats and Oils: Flax seed oil, fish oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, walnut oil, olive oil, almonds, Brazil nuts, filberts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, and lecithin granules.

Free Foods
Vinegar

Lemon juice

Lime juice, Mustard

Water

Herbal tea

Cucumber, Pepper

Lettuce

Citrus peels

sorry so long-enjoy-hope this helps-i just love sharing all my years of research with others.
=D

Closed Thread