It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2005, 07:42 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Lalli HB User
Eating slowly may help the absorption of nutrients

I've started eating slowly and I think it's helping me a lot. I'm still in the beginning but I just had my b-day and my family went to a buffet. I didn't quickly stuff my face, instead I ate as much food as I could but ate it slowly. Usually the next day I would see my stomach stick out and feel uncomfortable, but I didn't, and I've actually lost some weight. Has anyone else tried this? I think by eating slowly your body has more time to process the nutrients instead of having this one huge lump of food in your stomach and hal;f gets stores in your body as fat.

What do you guys think?

Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Eating slowly may help the absorption of nutrients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli
I've started eating slowly and I think it's helping me a lot. I'm still in the beginning but I just had my b-day and my family went to a buffet. I didn't quickly stuff my face, instead I ate as much food as I could but ate it slowly. Usually the next day I would see my stomach stick out and feel uncomfortable, but I didn't, and I've actually lost some weight. Has anyone else tried this? I think by eating slowly your body has more time to process the nutrients instead of having this one huge lump of food in your stomach and hal;f gets stores in your body as fat.

What do you guys think?
There is an article about the French pertaining to why they don't get fat and one of the reasons is because they "savor" or chew their food slowly. I think it's better for the digestive system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 09:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

I agree with this, we live in a country of "fast" food. Fast doesn't just stand for how quick you get it, but how quick you eat it. So many people just stuff food down their mouth that they don't take time to actually enjoy the food they are eating. If you actually slow down and eat your food, you'll actually end up eating less.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Lalli,

I absoutely agree with your thoughts about eating more slowly. I suscribe to the same theory, as I have also read it in magazines and seen evidence for it on TV. Plus, it just makes sense as your body needs time to "realize" that it's full or satiated...and I like to eat more slowly so that I can enjoy the food .

Like another poster, I also saw a documentary on TV that supports this notion, as the French do tend to be slimmer and they eat more slowly, enjoying their food.

~Colleen

Old 05-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
(female)

Tjay718 HB User

Can you eat unhealthy and eat slow and still be slim? or that theory just pertains to people on diets that eat healthy?

Old 05-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

TJay,

I think one of the main reasons that eating slowly is so helpful to maintaining weight is that it allows your body time to recognize/feel when it is full. If you're eating quickly, then your body doesn't have the time to realize that it's full as it is too busy constantly digesting food that it may, or may not, need or want. Eating healthy foods is just an additional good/nourshing thing that you can do for your body .

~Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 05-26-2005 at 03:34 PM.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Lalli HB User

I actually started eating slowly. I've maintained my weight. I've been eating just as much, if not MORE. For my b-day my mom made cheesecake. I was eating it for breakfast and after dinner, lol. But the key was, I ate it SLOWLY. I've been eating everything slowly, when I can remember which is most of the time. I initially lost 2 pounds and I've maintained that. But I just got my period which is weird because I didn't get super hungry right before. But eating slowly is the key with me. I strongly recommend that people try it. I ate my mom's thick homemade pizza and woke up the next morning without my tummy sticking out!!!!! It's amazing, i just hope this works long-term and isn't just all in my head.

Has anyone else tried this? dooooooooo tellll!!

Old 05-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

yep, i've started eating slowly for the past few days, it seems to be really helping me i seem to be digesting food more easily, and feel satisfied by my meals more. everyone should try it!

Old 06-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #9
(female)

rboyette HB User
Wink Re: Eating slowly may help the absorption of nutrients

Well the rule of thumb that I have read in different sources is that it takes a time frame of 20 min. for your brain to signal to your stomach that you are full. So eating slowly does help! You may also reduce acid reflux or intestinal problems if slowing down while eating. I've always been a turtle at eating ever since I was a little girl. I was the last one at the table every time. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I eat a lot less. There is a lot of times I can not consume everything on my plate. Drink a glass of water before eating anything about 30 min before then Eat slow drink lightly while eating as soon as you are finished eating drink another glass of water. This will help you! I promise. Good luck!!

Closed Thread