It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
(female)

cka2525 HB User
carb questoin!

I'm pretty well educated in calorie counting and things like that. I am currently 125 and would just like to loose around 6-7 lbs. My question is, is if you cut out all carbs for a few weeks, is it easy to loose weight? I'm well aware that you still must keep your calories in check, as well as exercise, but is a low carb diet really effective? What ARE considerd carbs? I know bread and fruit but thats basically it. Thankyou

Old 05-26-2005, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: carb questoin!

cka,

A low carb diet is good for weight loss to the extent that it cuts your caloric intake. In my opinion, there are more pleasant and healthier ways than by eating the high percentage of fat that ALWAYS goes hand in hand with very low carb diets.

I think that a balanced diet with calorie control is the most doable way to control weight and that "low-carb" isn't the shortcut that it's touted as. (I did it for 18 months, so I have some experience.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 07:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

First, none of the low carb plans advocate cutting out ALL carbs. There are many so-called low carb plans that are structured differently, so it would be helpful to have a look at some of the different plans, see whether low carbing addresses your excess weight issues, see whether any of them are plans you can sustain, etc. Low carb weight lose is a long-term proposition. That doesn't mean keeping the carb count way low forever, but keeping it reduced.

Is low carbing effective? For many, it has been the only effective way!

High carbs include, bread, as you mentioned, and all grains and grain products (pasta, rice, pastries, cookies, cake, oats, etc.); legumes and lentils; some vegetables like potatoes, winter squash, corn, etc.; fruits; most sweets in whatever form.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
(female)

cka2525 HB User

Hey thankyou guys for responding. I wasent sure if cutting out carbs compleatly or just a little would do. Because I read somewhere that you are sapoed to only eat like 30 grams of it a day! I eat way over that. But thanks again.

Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
(female)

AGemini HB User

Hi,
You can loose those 6 pounds quite easily. My doctor put me on BCP's at the beginning of this month. Since starting them, I gained 6 pounds. I'm use to working out 5 days a week by doing cardio and I lift weights. I eat pretty healthy. My diet consists of lots of lean protein, veggies, salads, no sugar. I use splenda when I need too. I was also eating some whole grains once in a while. Ever since gaining the extra 6 pounds, I totally stayed away from whole grains and added more water, salads, veggies and more protein to my diet. I also kept up with my exercise and I lost the weight. It took me 10 days to get it off.

Good Luck!

Marie

Old 05-29-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

10 days to lose 6 lbs isn't healthy.. You should be losing at a rate of 2-3 lbs MAX per week. Not only that, but eliminating whole grains isn't a good idea, because they are healthy and necessary for fibre, and lots of other nutrients/vitamin (especially if they have seeds/nuts). You could avoid sugar and refined carbs (donuts, cakes, cookies, etc) and that would be beneficial, but not eliminating carbs altogether. Drinking water and excersising also helps.

Remember- eat in moderation, and you wont lose or gain weight..

Old 05-29-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

i couldnt do a low carb diet...i get at leats 9 or 10 servings of breads per day..lol i cannot give up my carbs

Old 05-29-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

Lowering carb intake in general can help fat loss because you lowered your calorie intake. However, if done too fast or below a certain level, your metabolism may slow down, and as a result you may face stagnation in your fat loss.

What you could do instead of a low-carb diet is get rid of all refined carbs such as refined sugars, white bread, etc. You can continue consuming some sugars as long as they are limited to fruits or dextrose, and only if they are consumed right after your training. In this case, your body can absorb all sugars without storing them as bodyfat. Also sugar intake after exercising is necessary if you want to lose weight and tone up.

But what I would emphasize when designing any diets: the key is to fasten your metabolism and not that you reduce carbs/calories. I consume 600 grams of carbs and 250 grams of protein every day, and still I have a lean body.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter77
Lowering carb intake in general can help fat loss because you lowered your calorie intake. However, if done too fast or below a certain level, your metabolism may slow down, and as a result you may face stagnation in your fat loss.

What you could do instead of a low-carb diet is get rid of all refined carbs such as refined sugars, white bread, etc. You can continue consuming some sugars as long as they are limited to fruits or dextrose, and only if they are consumed right after your training. In this case, your body can absorb all sugars without storing them as bodyfat. Also sugar intake after exercising is necessary if you want to lose weight and tone up.

But what I would emphasize when designing any diets: the key is to fasten your metabolism and not that you reduce carbs/calories. I consume 600 grams of carbs and 250 grams of protein every day, and still I have a lean body.
What foods have dextrose in them? I know that dextrose is good to consume after a workout.
I'm also not a fan of a low carb diet. I believe that a lower fat, moderate protein and moderate carb diet is the way to go. If you eat a bunch of carbs for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, even if they are the good ones, your still going to have a problem. If you are shooting for weight loss, make sure that you just eliminate 500 cals a day(which I'm sure you know)...which means that you don't have to give up your carbs, but giving up the "bad" carbs is a must!!!
Oh, and the American journal of medicine did a study of women for 12 years who included "whole grain" products(in their most natural formed) were thinner. And "good" whole grains prevent cancer and colon problems.

Last edited by Jess75; 05-30-2005 at 10:59 AM.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #10
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

To my best knowledge only dextrose tablets and some supplements contain dextrose which is one of the best post-workout sugars.

Old 05-30-2005, 11:00 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter77
To my best knowledge only dextrose tablets and some supplements contain dextrose which is one of the best post-workout sugars.
Thanks!

Closed Thread