It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
(male)

Euan HB User
How many calories do fruits contain?

As the title suggests, just wondering how many calories fruits contain? Have heard Apples contain 200 or even more, so am pretty worried about eating them!

( I mainly eat apples, bananas and occasionally grapes)

Old 05-28-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User
Re: How many calories do fruits contain?

You want to choose whole fruits from the low glycemic (sugar) scale as they have the fewest calories. These include apples, oranges, peaches, grapefruit, plums, cherries, kiwi, pears, any berries (1 cup) and lemons, limes. Apples are one of the best fruits you can choose, just choose a small one, as well as a small orange, etc.

The higher glycemic fruits are bananas, melons, (watermelon, cantaloupe, etc.) any tropical fruit, and pineapple, I know I'm missing a few.

Do a web search for glycemic index for fruits and it will give you a more complete listing, as well as caloric value.

Try to avoid fruit juices as they are missing the fiber that's so important to slow down absorption of the natural sugars. Juices cause your insulin to spike and then half an hour later you're hungry again. Whole fruits take longer to digest and help keep your blood sugar level.

Last edited by Sonflower1116; 05-28-2005 at 10:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

An average apple (2.2 inch diameter) is 80 calories. Peel it and it's 66.

A average banana 6.75 inces long is 87 calories. Half pound of grapes with seeds about 100; seedless about 135 calories.

Fruit will usually contribute very little to the obesity epidemic...probably the reverse because we eat so little of it now. I get sticker shock in the produce section.

Old 05-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #4
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

I would not really worry about carb content of fruits if consumed post-workout or after wake-up in the morning.

Old 05-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

u shouldnt even worry about cals in fruit...its not like ur gonna gain weight from eating an apple..lol. dont owrry about it and enjoy ur 5 a day.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
(male)

Euan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyT
u shouldnt even worry about cals in fruit...its not like ur gonna gain weight from eating an apple..lol. dont owrry about it and enjoy ur 5 a day.
Well, technically I'm sticking to a low-calorie diet and heard that fruit contains alot, so that would ruin the whole diet.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Oranges, lemons, limes, strawberries, and tomatoes (yes, they're fruits) have lots of Vitamin C, good for immunity and help you absorb iron.
Bananas are rich in potassium.
Berries are excellent anti-cancer agents.
Apples contain pectin, which is good for you for some reason. ?
Avocados (yes - fruit) are high in "good" fat that helps your skin stay young and smooth.
All contain fiber, which is vital for everyday cleansing. The fiber in fruits contains less toxic waste than vegetables.
The previous poster was right - avoid juice because of the sugar and also because of low fiber.
Calories?? I couldn't care less. Fruit makes me feel good and gives me more energy, so I burn off more calories. It's the nutrition I worry about.
If you're still worried about calories, eat more of your fruit allotment in the morning. You should burn it ALL off by the end of the day.

Old 05-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
(male)

Nixona HB User

I agree with Sammy and Kerry, it's not fruit that put the weight on us, but they are a very valuable tool in taking it off. Eat as much fruit and leafy greens as you want. Stay away from junk food, concentrated fruit juice, drink tons of water and get some exercise, let your body do the rest!

Old 05-29-2005, 04:12 AM   #9
(male)

Euan HB User

The thing I don't understand is that fruit has calories, I'm aiming at 1600-1700, so do I include fruits in this or not?

Old 05-29-2005, 04:24 AM   #10
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

Fruits do contain calories because they contain sugars. I would include some fruits in your diet but I would consume them in the morning or right after your training. In these two cases, your body can surely absorb all sugars, and will not store them as bodyfat. Moreover, sugar consumption in these two cases help your metabolism and also recovery from your training. Apart from these two cases I would not really consume any fruits if being on a strict diet but I would eat a lot of vegetables, whole grains, as carbs, and of course a lot of protein, and some healthy fats.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Euan,
I clearly posteed above that these fruits DO NOT have lots of calories. Do you think that a peeled apple at 66 calories is A LOT?

Old 05-30-2005, 10:46 AM   #12
(female)

wwonderr HB User

When you are eating 1600-1700 cal a day, it's best to get most of those calories from foods with a high value of nutrients. Fruit is a good choice if you consider what you get for the calories involved.

An apple would have to be a really gigantic apple to have 200 cal. A more ordinary apple would be 100 cal or less. (I'd eat the peel with it, as the few additional calories in the peel are well worth it for the fiber and nutirents in the peel).

Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

wwonder,

I peel appples to avoid what's sprayed ONTO the apple. A little extra nutrition is a small price to pay to avoid insecticides, fungicides, ripening agents, and waxes. If I had my OWN apple tree, I'd eat the peel...but alas, it won't grow in my Living Room!

Last edited by Lenin; 05-31-2005 at 09:00 AM.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:13 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

wash them first!

Old 06-05-2005, 08:00 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Water won't remove many organics, certainly none that are embedded in the wax that often makes apples so shiny! Remember, some of those things can be organophospates, first cousin of nerve gas...I'd rather not eat potent bug killers.
Remember the ALAR scare a number of years back with the Chilean apple ban?

Some people use detergent and water but that thought makes me gag! I don;t want to eat Palmolive Dish Detergent either.

For me, the safest and easiest route is to peel them. I don't want to be a guinea pig.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-05-2005 at 08:02 AM.

Closed Thread