It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
To lose or to maintain?

Does this look like a menu to lose or maintain?

Breakfast: 1/2 cup fiber one cereal (dry), Luna Bar (180 cals), Grande Nonfat Latte (160 cals)
(or, alternative breakfast, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup cereal, cut up apple or banana)

Lunch: 25 GeniSoy Soy Crisps (60 cals for 9), 3/4 cup Lowfat cottage cheese (160 cals?), Large fuji apple

Dinner: Flank steak, Roasted vegetables, Salad with light dressing

Dessert: Frozen yogurt with berries or chocolate chip cookie or something

EXERCISE: 30 mins cardio, sit-ups and some weights

Old 05-28-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
(female)

missmanda05 HB User
Thumbs up Re: To lose or to maintain?

Hey, to be honest with you I think its a either except the chocolate chip cookie, but hey we all need a treat sometimes!!!
I think your on the right track and you are getting in alot of healthy things. I hope you find out what your looking for.

Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Re: To lose or to maintain?

You can add to that menu tortilla chips, veggies with fat free onion dip, and 3 salt water taffy I weighed myself today and have gained a couple of pounds, but then again, I am about to start my period so I'm sure I'm holding onto water weight.

I am 137lbs, 6' Female. I want to maintain around weight. Do I need to do cardio nearly everyday?

Old 05-29-2005, 03:55 AM   #4
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

Lose or maintain?

It depends on, for instance, your weight/height, frequency of your training, metabolism, etc.

For me it is stricter than the diet I would follow in case of getting sliced and diced

Old 05-29-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I'd say it's to lose still. I mean, its a good menu, and you eat fairly balanced, but overall it really is NOT a lot of food at all! Using the higher end values for the things ou didnt list quantaties or cals for, My calculations total it to be around 1500 Cals- which is definately WAY too little for a) someone of your height/sex/age and b) someone with your activity level. You should be aiming to eat around 1800-2000 Cals per day, and anything less is generally seen as a diet to lose weight. I mean, there are cases where ppl just have slower metabolisms or whatnot, but I would say that you are most likely eating too little for your height/age/sex and activity level. One thing you should try is increasing your fat. You have barely none in there! Have soem nuts or seeds regularly, or some oil-based salad dressing, etc. Fats are essential, especially if theyre the good kind!

Old 05-29-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Definitely weight loss to me. Like girly said, maybe add more nuts and seeds and perhaps olive oil to your salads. And, maybe some flax and fish oil. BTW, congrats on your progress of 7 pounds.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I used to eat a lot more nuts and more peanut butter. I'm not sure why I stopped. I guess I could try adding those back to my diet.
Can you still maintain a low weight and eat desserts and other "treats" sometimes? I freak out if I eat candy or dessert, but I need to realize that I am not going to gain weight just from that!

Since I woke up late, for breakfast/lunch I ate a large APPLE cut up with LF COTTAGE CHEESE (1/2 cup), BLUEBERRIES, RASPBERRIES, and a little mor than one cup of CEREAL. I also had a couple bites of my dad's OATMEAL. What do you think of this breakfast??

Old 05-29-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
I used to eat a lot more nuts and more peanut butter. I'm not sure why I stopped. I guess I could try adding those back to my diet.
Can you still maintain a low weight and eat desserts and other "treats" sometimes? I freak out if I eat candy or dessert, but I need to realize that I am not going to gain weight just from that!

Since I woke up late, for breakfast/lunch I ate a large APPLE cut up with LF COTTAGE CHEESE (1/2 cup), BLUEBERRIES, RASPBERRIES, and a little mor than one cup of CEREAL. I also had a couple bites of my dad's OATMEAL. What do you think of this breakfast??
Wait I'm confused, are you looking to "maintain" or "gain?" If you are looking to maintain, then an added dessert to your menu a day like banana cream pie for example wouldn't hurt at all, being that your active and all.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Maintain.
I exercise around 30 minutes a day (but not everyday) and eat rather healthy, I think.
Here is what I ate yesterday. Is this good for maintaining?
Late Breakfast: 1.5 cups cereal, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, large apple
Snack: sugarfree redbull, baby carrots with nonfat onion dip
Dinner: Lean cuisine with added salsa and some guacamole, roasted vegetables, 2 crackers
Dessert: Regular frozen yogurt with Rainbow sprinkles (and a few small pieces of reeses pb cups off of friend's frozen yogurt)

I sort of felt like the frozen yogurt was sugar overload, but I don't eat it every single night. Would it be better to get to "carbolite" kind or is that just all chemicals? It might be better to just stick with the natural stuff that has sugar in it...

Old 05-30-2005, 12:14 PM   #10
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
Maintain.
I exercise around 30 minutes a day (but not everyday) and eat rather healthy, I think.
Here is what I ate yesterday. Is this good for maintaining?
Late Breakfast: 1.5 cups cereal, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, large apple
Snack: sugarfree redbull, baby carrots with nonfat onion dip
Dinner: Lean cuisine with added salsa and some guacamole, roasted vegetables, 2 crackers
Dessert: Regular frozen yogurt with Rainbow sprinkles (and a few small pieces of reeses pb cups off of friend's frozen yogurt)

I sort of felt like the frozen yogurt was sugar overload, but I don't eat it every single night. Would it be better to get to "carbolite" kind or is that just all chemicals? It might be better to just stick with the natural stuff that has sugar in it...
To me it's very bad. I don't know if you can maintain or lose your weight with this diet but you surely lose some muscles. And if you are losing some muscles but still maintaining your weight, I wonder how your muscles losses are compensated.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

You dont lose muscle because of the food you eat!!! I d ont know what book/person/source you are getting this from, but that is so incredibly false. You lose muscle ONLY from lack of excersise, or when you lose too much weight too fast (or just too much overall). You could eat cake all day, and exercise, and you wouldn't lose muscle.

The yogurt wasn't overkill at all! Like you said, you DONT have it everyday, and it IS frozen yogurt! It wasn't pure sugar or something, and it gave you some calcium or other nutrients! Don't worry about it- you CAN have things that some people feel are "forbidden" (nothing is forbidden- things are only "sometimes" foods, while others are "all the time" foods).

Old 05-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #12
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirl11
You dont lose muscle because of the food you eat!!! I d ont know what book/person/source you are getting this from, but that is so incredibly false. You lose muscle ONLY from lack of excersise, or when you lose too much weight too fast (or just too much overall). You could eat cake all day, and exercise, and you wouldn't lose muscle.

The yogurt wasn't overkill at all! Like you said, you DONT have it everyday, and it IS frozen yogurt! It wasn't pure sugar or something, and it gave you some calcium or other nutrients! Don't worry about it- you CAN have things that some people feel are "forbidden" (nothing is forbidden- things are only "sometimes" foods, while others are "all the time" foods).
You do lose muscle if your diet is badly composed. If you do not consume enough protein, or too much time elapses between two protein-containig meals, e.g., at night, you do lose muscle. If this is combined with intensive training, your muscle losses will be even more serious.

Old 05-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

What is your source for this info?

Last edited by girlygirl11; 05-30-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Old 05-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Girlygirl, I don't think that she's referring to losing muscle from eating a crappy, suggary diet, I think she means that Ls289's diet "that day" was low of calories and protein. I didn't see too much protein on her menu that day(the day when the poster Dexter said she'll lose muscle). Whenever one restricts caloreis(especially protein), your body resorts to lean muscle mass for fuel if your not getting enough from your diet. Although, the other menus I observed from Ls looks pretty good, considering that she also weight trains. I think that ONE DAY looks like there wasn't enough protein and calories. Although, your right girly, you could eat cake all day and exercise and not lose muscle WHEN the body is getting enough calories. I didn't add up all of Ls's calories that day but the protein content looked pretty low. And if she kept eating at that pace continuously, then muscle loss would have probably happened. But like I said, the other days looked pretty good, although a little more cals each day wouldn't hurt either to maintain(at least I don't think).

Last edited by Jess75; 05-31-2005 at 07:38 AM.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #15
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirl11
What is your source for this info?
This is "rule #1" of all serious weight trainers. Check any relevant nutrition/training books/magazines.

Closed Thread