It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
(male)

Nixona HB User
Enriched Wheat Flour?

I've been eating a lot of fruits, veggies, and 100% whole wheat bread lately and feel great. I'm looking at trying some new stuff, but several of the foods I have in mind list "Enriched Wheat Flour" in the ingredient list. I know the white flour is not great for you, and cutting it from my diet was a big step forward for me. I don't have any food allergies and am in the process of losing weight, is there consensus on this ingredient? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Enriched Wheat Flour?

I think that wheat flour wheather white or brown is 'Junk'.. there are so many healthful flours out there which are healthier for your digestive tract..dont overdose yourself with wheat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

Enriched? Enriched with what?

Old 05-30-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixona
I've been eating a lot of fruits, veggies, and 100% whole wheat bread lately and feel great. I'm looking at trying some new stuff, but several of the foods I have in mind list "Enriched Wheat Flour" in the ingredient list. I know the white flour is not great for you, and cutting it from my diet was a big step forward for me. I don't have any food allergies and am in the process of losing weight, is there consensus on this ingredient? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Nixona,

"Enriched Wheat Flour" is also known as white flour. It's when they remove the bran (fiber) and germ (vitamins and minerals) from the whole wheat kernel, and what's left is starch, and very little vitamins or minerals, and virtually no fiber. So, because white flour is so popular, the government mandates that white flour be fortified with a few B-vitamins. There are lots of ways to get fiber, vitamins, and minerals in one's diet, even while consuming white flour, but one can get lots more by eating as much whole grains as possible. White flour isn't BAD for you, just lacking in lots of what's GOOD for you.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread