It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

cka2525 HB User
low carb diet post before

I posted a questoin before about what to eat on a low carb diet. I was so happy when I got a bunch of responces. I actuily learned a lot of things and low-carb seems the way to go. So I think I am going to go on one to loose about 6-7 lbs. Nothing major, just quick. Like I said, I'm aware on how to count calories and things like that, I was just confused about carbs. What about fruit? They have a lot of carbs in them, yet there fruit so are they okay? And what about atkins advantage bars? Thanks!

Old 05-31-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: low carb diet post before

There are a bunch of low carb plans that vary in the number of carbs they permit and which foods that permit at various stages of their programs. The plans are also different about whether they permit/recommend such things as the Adkins bars, products that are reformulated to be low carb, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, etc.

For example, in the initial stages of Adkins, no fruit is permitted. But after the first two weeks, one can add in some fruit (berries are recommended, cantalope, also).

South Beach allows a wide range of foods, fruits included.

It would probably be a good idea to look into some of the plans and see what looks good to you.

However, I do know people who just restricts there carbs to a specific number that works for them (usually somewhere around 100 grams per day) and eat what they want within that framework.

Or you could try just cutting back on high-starch/sugar foods (grains, potatoes and other starchy veggies, etc.), increase low carb veggies, limit fruits at the start (and add in if it has not negative impact on weight loss), and see whether that works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
(male)

Dexter77 HB User

I'm not a fan of low-carb diets because I think you can boost your metabolism to a level where you can lose weight when consuming a lot of carbs. Just concentrate on which carbs, when, and how much carb.

But answering your question: fruits contain carbs, and these carbs are sugars. Sugars are not necessarily "dangerous", however, you need to know when to consume them. Of course, each fruit contains different amount of carbs. I would say you can include some fruits in your low-carb diet if you eat them when you wake up or in combination with your breakfast. Also fruits after exercising is more than just healthy because it helps you achieve your weight loss goals.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
(female)

cka2525 HB User

Thanks guys. I guess I'm trying to eat around 1,300 calories and stay under 50 grams of carbs a day. With a lot of exercise inbetween.

Closed Thread