It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

Summer Storm HB User
My Life; Need help

Hello all,
I'm 15 years old and had Gallbladder surgery back in March/April. Before surgery it was painful to eat ANYTHING so I just didn't resulting in a weight loss from 140 to 94-97 lbs. I was always skinny as a kid, until I started pubrty. Then I became chunky, and could never understand why, because I was VERY active. I would ride horses, workout, help run a farm, always outside etc. Because of this I was made fun of by my brother sometimes. I went on 'diets' cuting out the junkfood (but I really never did eat that stuff anyway.) and only lost a few if any lbs. Grated I was never overweight for my age.

My doctor says it was because of the GallBladder. He says know with it out it's like I have a new body. and will never go back to the weight I was before.

Now I fit in a size 0 jeans. and dearly want to become a runner. my weight slides from 92-97 lbs. (depending on water intake, bathroom, etc) My mom says I need to let my body have anything that it is craving, but I admit, I am scared I will go back to the weight I was before.

Sometimes I find myself 'fasting' for a day or two. then eating. then repeating. I know this isn't healthy at all. Some days I wake up and see my ribs and think "I need to eat" others I wake up and say "I am too big, I am going to gain back all the weight" It's almost like I am scared to let go of being in the '90s. perhaps I've been so used to it.

My question is since I've been starving my body of what it needs, when I start re-feeding it will I gain back the weight? my mother keeps telling me "Once you get up to the weight you need to be at it will level off and stay there." I guess I am having a hard time trusting her.

Bloating is bad and thus = me feeling 'fat'. I hate the days I can see my back ribs but my tummy & amodmen make it look like I am pregnent. How soon can I see the bloating go way, and does bloating add lbs to the scale as water weight?

Right now I walk 2 miles a day and normally Run 1 mile. It gives me something to do without going crazy.

Sorry for the long, drawn on message, and questions.
God Bless,
Summer Storm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 02:23 AM   #2
(male)

Dexter77 HB User
Re: My Life; Need help

Hi Summer Storm,

several years ago I was pretty skinny too. Then I started training (cardio + some weight training) and in a few month I lost 7 lbs because I have not increased my calorie intake. After reading a lot of books and magazines, I realized that if I want to gain some muscle, I would need to eat much more. Therefore, I started gradually increasing my calorie intake by consuming more lean protein and complex carbs. I changed my exercise routine too by reducing cardio and redesigned by weight training. And this was the beginning of a process where I noted more and more muscle (not fat!) gains. In one year I gained 33 lbs lean muscle just by eating more, and more healthy foods, and training properly. I've got 6-pack, etc.

So don't worry about eating more, just focus on the right stuff, and also train regularly.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

When I was 18 I was anorexic and then I wanted to overcome it, but I was very scared of that phenomenon that you also describe - that when you "refeed" your body, it will gain weight fast, etc.

I can say for your comfort that in my case I had to eat a WHOLE lot to even gain some weight.
I think if you are athletic, active... that is perfect for gaining some "healthy" muscle weight, and being active also keeps your metabolism from getting too slow.

But I must say after reading your post, be very very careful that you don't slip into an eating disorder. Some things you say, like being afraid of feeling fat, etc... are warning signals. Try to be totally honest toward yourself on what the reasons for your wanting to stay skinny are!

kathrin

Old 07-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
(male)

skyguy HB User

Definitely try weight training. You can start with pushups, crunches, bodyweight squats, chinups. That will put on some muscle if you eat enough. Most people could use a little bit of muscle, and yes you will gain weight, but you know what? A little more weight actually looks BETTER, yes, even on women, if it comes from muscle.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

sinnister81 HB User

you seem to bee good at weight control so if you feel youve gained more weight than you wanted to youll have the confidence to know that u can cut it down. Just try a more calculated gradual approach to weight loss/gain

Closed Thread