It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

ItsJustMe_Liz HB User
what can i do ..

Im trying to find a way to lose weight....A LOT of weight. My doctor is really stressing my weight problem to me. But she cant seem to tell me how to lose it. I need to lose about 150 pounds. Ive started drinking a lot of water (w/flavor packs) and im eating fruits and veggies a lot more. I want to find away to excercise....but becuz of my job, caring for the elderly in the home, i have to spend most of my time just sitting w/ my clients and i get bored a lot...so that makes me eat a lot. i cant really excercise and im there for up to 5 days at a time (24 hour shifts) straight thru. Ive gained over 50 pounds since i started my job 1 1/2 years ago. I cant afford to get another job. When i am home, i have too many responsibilities to go anywhere for excercise and not to mention it all cost money, and my neighborhood is way too unsafe to walk through the way i used to do. So for now, im trying to at least eat right so that itll benefit my weight struggle at least a little at a time until i can figure out a way to excercise.

Can anyone give me some adive ?

What foods will make me feel full the most/longest and what foods have the most protein?
Are there any little things i can do for excercise while im at work and/or at home?
What can i do in general?
ANY comments or advice will be helpful.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User
Re: what can i do ..

holy man! not safe enuf to go out in ur own neighbourhood? id be movin in a heart beat..lol well, since u cant go outsidea nd sit around at work, id suggest a pilates vidoe or somethin of the sort? maybe a bowflex machine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
(female)

jade112 HB User

Hello Lizzybear-

Sorry to hear you are having such a tuff time figuring out how to get healthy again, when you seem to be doing such a caring and rewarding job.

Well for starters I would suggest you start to eat 5-6 small meals a day. Bring your meals, dont get stuck at the vending machines or in the cafe ordering things that you have no idea what is in them.

Here is an idea of some things you can start with:

Breakfast-VERY important!!!!!
-high fiber cereal like Fiber One or Kashi w/ skim or reduced fat milk.
-Oatmeal with berries (also high in fiber)
-Egg whites (low in fat and high in protien) and whole wheat toast with
-try adding reduced fat cheese, salsa, tky bacon or veggies to your eggs-

Lunch-
-Turkey, lettuce (darker the better)and tomato on whole wheat bread or roll w/ mustard or low fat mayo.
**Whole wheat & whole grain foods keep you full for longer and fill you up quicker**
-Grilled chicken w/ lettuce, tomato, and low fat mayo in a whole wheat pita
-Tuna w/ low fat or free mayo and celery on Whole wheat bread

Dinner-
Lean meats: chicken, pork, fish, lean cuts of beef
Cook: Bake, grill, broil, steam, or stir fry w/ pam
Lots of Veggies!!!!!!
Brown rice and whole wheat pastas
There are TONS of recipe book out there to get you cookin healthy in no time

Snacks-
Veggies and low cal dip (dressing, mustards, salsa, hummus)
baked chips, pretzles, rice cakes
fruit w/ yogurt or cottage cheese (which has lots of protien)
turkey or beef jerkey
nutritional shakes
You can put these in baggies and grab them when ever you feel hungry throughout your shift.

This is all I have time to write now but I will try to come up with some more ideas tomorrow and I have exercise tips also b/c I work out at home as well.
Hope I helped a bit!!
Good Luck

-Jade

Old 06-07-2005, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Hi, LizzyBear

Everyone's comments are really good ...and I have another: try to find some time in your days/the week to do something that you enjoy doing. Stress contributes to weight gain when too much of a hormone called cortisol is released into the blood. Do you experience a lot of stress at home? It sounds like you might if you have too many responsibilities, and don't have the time to care for yourself as well.

In addition to Pilates, you might also look into getting a Yoga tape. This type of movement is very soothing and allows you to relax. Of course, if you're bored at work, I would probably opt for finding a fun activity that you can participate in outside of work.

Just throwing suggestions out there...

~Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 06-07-2005 at 07:52 AM.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #5
(female)

ItsJustMe_Liz HB User

Oh wow thanks guys. Theyre all very good ideas...and i like the boxflex machine idea ...but im not really sure the company i work for would agree for me to take it over there lol,
but i have decided to take my little 10 Ib weights over there (i used to use them all the time a few years ago) and im gonna take my band over there and im gonna try moving around a lot more and i picked up some different foods to take with me. For breakfast ideas I got dry cereal w/fiber and skim milk, oatmeal, lowfat english muffins. I figure i can choose between them each morning so i dont get bored with the same thing every morning. For lunch ideas I got lowfat ham, whole wheat bread, salad, chicken strips and fatfree crutons and fatfree italian dressing for the salad. For dinner ideas I got fish, frozen veggies mixed, and broccoli. Grapes for snacks. And of course i stocked up on lots of bottled water and flavored packs for the water....im trying here....and i was gonna get bananas, but forgot them !

Somehow...it seemed a lot easier gaining all this weight than its gonna be taking it off. lol

--off to work this morning and ill be there for 4 days.

thanks again for all your suggestions

Old 06-09-2005, 05:52 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Ding HB User

good luck to you, it seems you have the will to succeed
as far as easy excercises go, do you get a lunch break at work? maybe you could go for a walk during that time after you've eaten. or just find a quiet spot and take a skipping rope with you and try skipping for about 15 minutes (or as long as you can manage). aerobics videos are a good idea for when you're at home, or try running up and down your stair case for as long as you can manage.

Closed Thread