It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Raw Food Diet

Auntjudy,

And thus you are saying sobeans are eaten RAW????
I can't imagine Martha Sewart serving a heap of uncooked soy beans on a plate.
Have you ever tried to eat a raw soybean? I have!

The chemistry is that uncooked beans have toxic enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid that prevent their digestion and absorption. Only HEAT (Cooking, Roasting) and FERMENTATION (tofu, tempeh) will render these trypsin inhibitors harmless.
Just CHEWING on a raw soybean immediately tells the tale that these are unfit for human consumption.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-11-2005 at 09:58 AM.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #17

llamamuffinmama HB User

most raw foodists follow a vegan raw food plan. this can include plenty of protein from nuts, seeds and lentils. some pulses (beans, lentils, etc) can be soaked and/or sprouted, and are easier to digest that way. plus foods assembled from various fruits and vegetables, etc.

i know several people who are healthy raw foodists. some eat raw all the time, others between 60-80% of the time. i also have a friend who is vegan and went raw for just a month as a cleanse/weight loss plan. he felt and looked great by the end of the month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #18
(female)

Datura HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Ever try eating raw lentils, or split peas.
Yep. They were soaked.

Quote:
Sorry Datura, nuts are NUTS (hence the name), not Legumes.
Never said they were. They ARE however a source of protein which you seem to be unaware of.

Old 06-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Do you mean "are" eaten raw or "ought to be" eaten raw? Personally, I won't touch unfermented soy with a ten foot pole; and even at that I don't eat that much. But some people do.

I have had lightly steamed soy beans (which is what Martha Stewart did). I'm not sure the temperature of the beans remained low enough to qualify as "raw", but some people prepare them that way so that they do. Sprouting is another option. And I think the soaking would get rid of the phytic, especially if they were soaked in whey (which I think qualifies as raw if you make it yourself from raw milk!).

Old 06-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Auntjudy,

I can't imagine Martha Sewart serving a heap of uncooked soy beans on a plate.
Have you ever tried to eat a raw soybean? I have!

The chemistry is that uncooked beans have toxic enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid that prevent their digestion and absorption. Only HEAT (Cooking, Roasting) and FERMENTATION (tofu, tempeh) will render these trypsin inhibitors harmless.
Just CHEWING on a raw soybean immediately tells the tale that these are unfit for human consumption.
Just to add my $.02, soybean sprouts also contain phytic acid and a high degree of hemagglutinins, so they must also be cooked so these sugars/enzymes are destroyed.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Auntjudy,
In my book, steaming IS cooking...I steam most of my vegetables. Thus Martha is using COOKED soybeans.

Datura,
If you say you ate peas and lentils that were merely soaked, I won't say that you lied...however I will repeat that both are inedible and slightly poisonous!

Old 06-14-2005, 02:53 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I really LOVE raw cuisine - not to be confused with food that is merely raw.

The only problem is that it is really expensive and time consuming. You have to buy raw products (ie nuts) that are way more expensive than regular and you usually need a dehydrator which is around 100 bucks and you have to prepare and soak the ingredients.

If you have the time, money and energy it is a wonderful way to eat. If i were rich and didn't have a job, i'd eat all raw.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #23
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datura
Complete misinformation. Legumes do not have to be cooked. There are such things as raw nuts.
I am not sure why some people confuse nuts with legumes. Maybe its the peanut thing. Peanuts are a legume not a nut, the name notwithstanding. But raw tree nuts are NOT legumes. I think maybe because legumes and nuts are often said in the same breath? By the way don't try to eat raw legumes, some could be lethal.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #24
Inactive
(male)

racehorse HB User

There are very few vegan rawists that can maintain that diet for any length of time. Because they only eat raw food that eliminates grains, legumes, so protein becomes an issue and unless high calorie avocados and fruits dominate, just getting enough calories can become problematic.

Old 07-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #25
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User

i did the raw foods diet for awhile and i felt amazing.
however, i found i was a bit hungry on it, and would have to eat every few hours. since preparing and eating a massive salad wasn't always possible, i would get lazy and eat nuts and dried fruit instead, which wasnt so good for my physique... but if you can do it right and eat 80% vegetables, you really do feel great.

Closed Thread