HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Raw Food Diet (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/292835-raw-food-diet.html)

ocurt 06-09-2005 08:57 AM

Raw Food Diet

Anyone ever tried anything like that?

Jess75 06-09-2005 02:53 PM

Re: Raw Food Diet

[QUOTE=ocurt]Anyone ever tried anything like that?[/QUOTE]
What is it? I probably didn't but i'm just curious. :)

mellowfish 06-09-2005 04:01 PM

Whenever I juice fast I'm consuming a raw foods diet :)

A short term raw fruit/veggie diet can be beneficial to the body, unless you have regular symptoms of intestinal discomfort- a lot of raw vegetable fibers can be quite irritating (harsh, even) to the digestive tract, in which case these veggies should be juiced, pulverized, or avoided.

There are some people who practice "rawism" and eat [I]everything[/I] raw, including meat and eggs. The meat is organic and handled safely, the belief is that by consuming these products raw any bacteria/contaminants ingested are introduced in small amounts in their natural state to the immune system, creating an antibody response which makes the immune system more adept at fighting infections, much for the same reason immunizations are administered.

When you think of the earliest man that were hunter/gatherers before fire was being used, they were probably "rawists" too ;)

Lenin 06-09-2005 05:59 PM

A raw food diet is going to be protein deficient unless you eat a LOT of sushi and steak tartare.
Even legumes, the major sources of plant protein must be cooked.

I guess there's always MILK.

auntjudyg 06-10-2005 07:30 AM

Are you talking about the raw vegetarian/vegan or the all raw, ocurt? I know of more people doing the latter, but have also run into people doing the former.

I haven't done it myself, though I agree that we need more raw stuff in our diets and strive in that direction. The vegan version runs into the possible nutrient deficiency problems of any vegan plan (though potentially more so). Hearing the menus of some of the people I know who do the version with animal products, I don't think there is ANY problem with sufficient protein intake.

Jess75 06-10-2005 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=mellowfish]Whenever I juice fast I'm consuming a raw foods diet :)

A short term raw fruit/veggie diet can be beneficial to the body, unless you have regular symptoms of intestinal discomfort- a lot of raw vegetable fibers can be quite irritating (harsh, even) to the digestive tract, in which case these veggies should be juiced, pulverized, or avoided.

There are some people who practice "rawism" and eat [I]everything[/I] raw, including meat and eggs. The meat is organic and handled safely, the belief is that by consuming these products raw any bacteria/contaminants ingested are introduced in small amounts in their natural state to the immune system, creating an antibody response which makes the immune system more adept at fighting infections, much for the same reason immunizations are administered.

When you think of the earliest man that were hunter/gatherers before fire was being used, they were probably "rawists" too ;)[/QUOTE]
Yah, I like that idea of eating all organic meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds. Now THAT'S a good all around natural diet! :D

auntjudyg 06-10-2005 08:50 AM

Jessica, From what I have read, many in the raw food (the vegan version) movement will eat food that has been heated up to 100 degree Fahrenheit. Below that temperature, most healthy enzymes are preserved, but some "cooking" takes place.

ocurt 06-10-2005 11:08 AM

hey everyone, yeah, the type of raw diet i meant was just for a few days (i think it said (1-5 days) where you only consume raw food... obviously... i wasn't talking about raw meat tho... that sounds gross!! so anyways, thats what i meant

auntjudyg 06-10-2005 11:40 AM

I do a day, now and then, of just raw fruits. I have GI track issues, and it is so nice to give my GI track a rest. (And it's really nice in the hot weather! Makes the heat much more bearable!)

Jess75 06-10-2005 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=auntjudyg]Jessica, From what I have read, many in the raw food (the vegan version) movement will eat food that has been heated up to 100 degree Fahrenheit. Below that temperature, most healthy enzymes are preserved, but some "cooking" takes place.[/QUOTE]
Oh okay I see. So the enzymes are the key?

auntjudyg 06-10-2005 01:51 PM

Enzymes are the thing. Another idea that has been around for a long time and is resurfacing. This guy named Edward Howell wrote several books (THICK books! . . . how can you say THAT much about enzymes?) in the 40s. I do agree we need more, but I don't know about all raw!

Jess75 06-10-2005 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=auntjudyg]Enzymes are the thing. Another idea that has been around for a long time and is resurfacing. This guy named Edward Howell wrote several books (THICK books! . . . how can you say THAT much about enzymes?) in the 40s. I do agree we need more, but I don't know about all raw![/QUOTE]
Oh, I see.

Datura 06-10-2005 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=Lenin]A raw food diet is going to be protein deficient unless you eat a LOT of sushi and steak tartare.
Even legumes, the major sources of plant protein must be cooked.

I guess there's always MILK.[/QUOTE]

Complete misinformation. Legumes do not have to be cooked. There are such things as raw nuts.

Lenin 06-11-2005 04:49 AM

Ever try eating raw lentils, or split peas.

Sorry Datura, nuts are NUTS (hence the name), not Legumes. BEANS are legumes. Try some raw soybeans some time, have a bucket nearby.

auntjudyg 06-11-2005 09:54 AM

[QUOTE=Lenin]Try some raw soybeans some time, have a bucket nearby.[/QUOTE]
Raw soybeans have become popular enough around me to make it from Whole Food to several of the grocery stores . . . they even got a segment on Martha Stewart's TV show (before the . . . hiatus).