It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #16
(female)

Ankh HB User
Re: too much fruit?

hi there!
thanx guys for your responses

Lenin:thanks man!i just ate a few now,and it's almost 2 in the morning! --->dont feel that cool about it,but what the hell!

to the rest: thanx for your concern,but aren't you guys maybe overreacting a litte?i dont mean to be disrespectful,because i totally take your advice and appreciate it reallY!its just that i dont feel weak or anything and i'm just a bit underweight,no big deal.......

well before you all send me to the ED board(i posted here,because i believe that i am leading a healthy life and just wanted to see whether i'm not a bit off the "wagon" here).

I posted there,because i wanted to know a bit more about their stuff.
all in all,i'm just plain confused.sorry if i wasted your time on this board,but i want to eat healthy things and assumed that by posting here i could get good suggestions.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:32 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh
hi there!
thanx guys for your responses

Lenin:thanks man!i just ate a few now,and it's almost 2 in the morning! --->dont feel that cool about it,but what the hell!

to the rest: thanx for your concern,but aren't you guys maybe overreacting a litte?i dont mean to be disrespectful,because i totally take your advice and appreciate it reallY!its just that i dont feel weak or anything and i'm just a bit underweight,no big deal.......

well before you all send me to the ED board(i posted here,because i believe that i am leading a healthy life and just wanted to see whether i'm not a bit off the "wagon" here).

I posted there,because i wanted to know a bit more about their stuff.
all in all,i'm just plain confused.sorry if i wasted your time on this board,but i want to eat healthy things and assumed that by posting here i could get good suggestions.
Now that I think about it, yah, I was wrong for implying that you had an ED because I don't know you from a can of paint. But, since you stated that you needed to gain weight and was concerned about fruit, of all things..that led me to believe that you potentially had an ed. Again, sorry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 10:14 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

What I see missing from your diet is fat. There are bad fats like saturated fat and there are good fats Essential Fatty Acids. The body needs these to absorb nutrients. Try eating nuts and seeds to get this in your diet. Peanut butter is good. Fish is good I think you mentioned you do eat fish. Another thing that you need is whole grain bread. So eating a lot of fruit is not bad and won't make you fat but if you mostly eat fruit and end up avoiding most other food groups most of the time, that is bad. Your body will not get the nutrients it needs.

You say you are not weak or anything but you don't get your period. That is your bodies warning signal and down the line you will have serious health problems to deal with if you don't start eating properly. You do need to gain weight. About 15 years ago I weighted 100 lbs and I didn't try to be that skinny I was drinking weight gain shakes to gain weight. I am 5'6". I looked like a walking skelatin. I am 122 lbs now and I recently applied for life insurance and I was 124lbs on that day and I barely got approved for the life insurance. If I had weighed 1 lbs less I would have been turned down for the insurance. So there are guidelines as to what is healthy.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:30 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari7171
What I see missing from your diet is fat. There are bad fats like saturated fat and there are good fats Essential Fatty Acids. The body needs these to absorb nutrients. Try eating nuts and seeds to get this in your diet. Peanut butter is good. Fish is good I think you mentioned you do eat fish. Another thing that you need is whole grain bread. So eating a lot of fruit is not bad and won't make you fat but if you mostly eat fruit and end up avoiding most other food groups most of the time, that is bad. Your body will not get the nutrients it needs.

You say you are not weak or anything but you don't get your period. That is your bodies warning signal and down the line you will have serious health problems to deal with if you don't start eating properly. You do need to gain weight. About 15 years ago I weighted 100 lbs and I didn't try to be that skinny I was drinking weight gain shakes to gain weight. I am 5'6". I looked like a walking skelatin. I am 122 lbs now and I recently applied for life insurance and I was 124lbs on that day and I barely got approved for the life insurance. If I had weighed 1 lbs less I would have been turned down for the insurance. So there are guidelines as to what is healthy.
Are you serious? If you were 5ft 6 123 pounds they would have turned you down?!?! WhY?

Old 06-15-2005, 08:20 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Apparently for that height my weight should be 124 at the minimum according to that insurance company.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #21
(female)

tdot HB User

It's probably because they use BMI as a marker. Your BMI calculated with 167cm and 56 kg is 19.92 which is near the bottom of the healthy range (18.5-24.9). I know many of you don't believe BMI is a good marker of a healthy weight, but both government and pretty much all health professionals I know use it to determine if a person is at risk or not. Of course when you use it to calculate the BMI of someone who say is a body builder, it will come out skewed and isn't a good marker, but for most of the general public it is a great assessment tool!

Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

tdot,
I think BMI stinks for any purpose other than demographics where you want to report, say, on obesity in Alabama.
As you mention, it is preposterous for the very muscular, but even for "regular" people it completely ignores the width of a skeletal frame. Among men my size (6'2") there is almost a 6 inch variation in the width of the shoulders ...talking only skeletal frame not shoulder muscles. To assume that two 6'2 inchers at 200 pounds have identical fat content is ridiculous because a large skeleton will carry much more muscle, tendons, ligament, cartilege, even BLOOD and hold much more water and even weigh more in its own bones than a narrow skeleton.

BMI is truly only one step more than JUST taking weight as in, "You weigh 175#, therefor you must be fat." It's a total waste of time and effort.
For any even REASONABLE stab at bodyfat content one must have some input on frame size...whether pelvic width, or clavicle end to end, or cranial, wrist or ankle measurement...maybe even FOOT length (but that's ANOTHER story)

BMI is useless.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-16-2005 at 06:20 AM.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:01 AM   #23
(female)

tdot HB User

That's your opinion I guess. Everyone is entitled to it. But you should know that trained health professionals as I am use it in everyday work. Of course it is not the be-all-end all, but it is a measure which works for most people. When I do a clinical assessment, I don't just calculate BMI and if it's above I say "oh you're overweight". I also look at the person. Of course if it's someone that has above average lean body mass I disregard BMI altogether. But as I said it really is a good tool for the type of client/patient I deal with. Most of them ARE overweight and BMI helps them see that and set a realistic goal.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:32 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

That's fine Lenin, you're right about BMI in the sense that for people that are muscular and such, it really has no validity.

But we are referring to a BMI reading for someone that is 5'6 and 103 lbs, which isn't healthy. The BMI is just a tool that can be used to prove this, and in this case, it is relevant.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:56 PM   #25
(female)

Ankh HB User

so i.e i am unhealthily thin and most probably suffer from anorexia (i.e my bmi falls in that category)??????

Old 06-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Yes, you are unhealthily thin (especially since you aren't getting your period!), but no, anorexia isn't just dependant on weight, but rather behaviours and mind set AND weight all combined. You cant just diagnose someone with an eating disorder based on their weight alone, but we've been talking about your mind set and behaviours and such, and based on my personal experiences I would say that you have a problem.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(male)

BMI is simply combining the old insurance table into one number and making it sound scientific. BMI is not as good even because the old insurance tables had at least 3 frame categories and occasionally separate groupings by age and sex making them FAR superior guides.

There are several ways to measure bodyfat percentage, ranging from the bad to the pretty good. All these methods have FAR more meaning than the BMI which is coincidentally the only "measurement" that can be made over the phone or the internet. Even a simple claliper grab at the waistline by someone with training will reveal FAR more about overweight/obesity than a BMI calculation involving nothing but height and weight.

The only thing BMI has going for it is that it's VERY simple (and simpleminded.)

Ankh,
I think 5'6" at 103# is okay for a 21 year old...weight will come on with age, believe me.
Lack of menses is another issue and usually indicates caloric insufficiency or extremely low bodyfat, the latter sounds like your situation. Try to get a good idea of how many calores you are actually eating in a day and don't allow them to dip under 1500.
Don't worry, you won't gain weight.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-17-2005 at 11:26 AM.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #28
(female)

Ankh HB User

thnx.
but lenin,so basically BMI is i'd say the final step in the lets say "eating disorder" diagnosis AFTER the other sypmtoms prevail?because as we all know its a psychological disease which stems from and emotional/deep rooted issue.
the thing is,with me being underweight,i'm not sure if when people see me they'd assume i am anorexic,and THATS what i DONT want,however,strange as i might sound,i agree with girlygirl11 in that i have a prob,hence i am seeing a therapist.
so what you also say,is that once i eat normal i wont gain too much weight?hmm....i dont think i agree with that.my fear is that my metabolism might have slowed down and if i try to eat normal again,i'll pick up too much weight in a short space of time....DONT WANT THAT.i AM willing to make an effort,but its gonna take a lllllloooonnnnnngggggg time.

my question now is: if you see someone in the stree thats 1,68m and weighs 47kg,would you think they are anorexic?by there appearance?

Old 06-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Some people would think that. I used to get people telling me they thought I was anorexic when I was 100 lbs. I was drinking weight gain shakes at the time and wanted to gain weight. I learned to just let people think what they want and not care. I even had people tell me I was too skinny when I weighed 140 lbs. So people will think and say what they want. The important thing is to be healthy.

Old 06-17-2005, 04:40 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh
thnx.
but lenin,

my question now is: if you see someone in the stree thats 1,68m and weighs 47kg,would you think they are anorexic?by there appearance?
I spend a lot of time in Manhattan and I would assume that such a woman is a model or a ballerina! For real.
Enjoy where you're at and eat light-normal. Your metabolism is probably screwed up but it will slowly adjust to a larger amount of food. Enough to maintain your health at least. If 1500 calories is scary, probably 1300 will do...make sure you are getting 60 grams protein as a minimum and go as low-fat as you choose.

Closed Thread